dcsimg

wear strips for snow shovels

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So I have always noticed them but never realized they can be purchased.

Of course it cant be done when you need it because no one carries them they have to be ordered. So its a maintenance thing.

Is it worth it? The shovels are pushing $30. these days.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I never knew you can replace these. I really curious to know what people say. How do you replace them if you don’t have a rivet gun? I have a shovel that needs one of these replaced. Where do you purchase/order them at?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have a rivet gun of course and apparently the only place you could buy them is through the manufacturer or possibly Amazon.

I called True Temper directly and ask them if they distribute these parts to any of their suppliers and their answer was no I would have to go to one of their suppliers and they will order it on my behalf.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I have a rivet gun of course and apparently the only place you could buy them is through the manufacturer or possibly Amazon.

I called True Temper directly and ask them if they distribute these parts to any of their suppliers and their answer was no I would have to go to one of their suppliers and they will order it on my behalf.

If you have the rivet gun and a pair of tin snips I would think you could cut your own strip from some scrap and rivet it on to the shovel. I wonder how much it would cost for the part plus shipping vs picking up a new shovel at a local store?

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

It’s not worth it to try to fix those showels. There is full aluminum showel out there. Alpha showel. It’s really sturdy small one is 69$ big one is 99$

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

If you have the rivet gun and a pair of tin snips I would think you could cut your own strip from some scrap and rivet it on to the shovel. I wonder how much it would cost for the part plus shipping vs picking up a new shovel at a local store?

The one site I looked at says the parts are $5 so to me that would be worth it. I thought about making my own as well I have scrap metal aluminum in the garage but the effort that goes into it for $5 I’ll order the damn thing

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have been using the same shovel for years (it is branded Yukon). The business end is all plastic with no metal edge. I have found on all the ones with the metal edge the rivets break the plastic and you have to buy a whole new shovel. I have a second all metal square mouth spade if I need to break up tough stuff. The plastic one is like a combo pusher/shovel that moves snow only. The plastic one is not meant to break up ice or chop with. I find that 2 shovels that last for a decade is much cheaper than 1 shovel that has to be replaced every year or two.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I buy mostly the all steel pushers, they eventually wear out but last a long time. The plastic shovels with the metal edge are disposable in my opinion. we mostly use them when the snow is deeper and we actually have to shovel it and therefore they do not get a lot of wear to the metal edge.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

whattya mean wear strip. you mean just the metal blade thats at the tip of the plastic shovels? if so you can probabley make one pretty easy with 3/16″ aluminum or somthing

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Never had to change one on a plastic shovel, but I have a steel pusher that was wearing and the corners were curling from banging into “stuff”. I cut and ground the edge straight with an angle grinder and brazed a 1/8″ X 1″ steel flat to it.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Never had to change one on a plastic shovel, but I have a steel pusher that was wearing and the corners were curling from banging into “stuff”. I cut and ground the edge straight with an angle grinder and brazed a 1/8″ X 1″ steel flat to it.

I have a steel pusher too and do the same thing with the grinder. I have several plastic ones though and hate buying more. Like I said I never thought to replace the edges before and then I stumbled on it one day and it seemed like a good idea.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Clev08
    Pro

I just have the all metal ones, I tend to throw more snow per shovel full than I should and break the plastic ones. I would advise just buying metal from the beginning

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I wasn’t even aware the you could replace them.

I personally just stick to all plastic shovels. The metal ends just get caught and hung up I find.

Never even thought about replacing or fixing a plastic shovel, mine I have had for 4 years now, gonna have to replace them either next winter or the one after, but I figured for 50 bucks for two shovels. It’s not worth my time.

Doobie

I tried metal shovels and metal edged ones out of plastic and strangely I prefer the all plastic ones. What is more important to me is having the ergo curved handles.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

my number one beef with the wide push type shovels that are metal or have the metal blade is using them on a uneven driveway.. just as already stated they fetch up all the time.. the plastic ones will atleast flex and have some give

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I just use the plastic shovel or snow blower. What they don’t get the salt does. To much effort replacing a metal strip. I would just buy a new one if you wear it out.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I didn’t know they could be switched. I know a few fell off the ones I was using. However i prefer plastic shovels as well, and if i need to chip away at anything. I just bring out the ice chipper and away I go.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I never use my steel pusher. Im a clean shoveler…edge to edge of my walks. So plastic is easier for lifting.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i like having the driveway completely clean too… i use the plastic shovel for moving it and then use a sidewalk scraper to chip up ice and clear up the hard packed snow

the annoying part is my driveway is combined with the neighbors and they hardly lift a finger… they’ll see that i have my side completley clean and then theyll knock all the snow off their cars down onto my side .. i throw it back ont their side or back on the car

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.327 seconds