dcsimg

We live in the future

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 663 total)
  • Author

Solar cars are theoretically impossible in a traditional shaped vehicle. Even if the solar panels are 100% efficient, there isn’t enough energy contained in sunlight in a car’s surface area to power it at any significant speed.

I’m all for cold fusion powered cars though, never have to gas up again. 😀

I think of it more like how some hybrids generate power from the brakes. If a bit of power from one or two panels can extend the range a bit, and if a car can charge when parked even when not plugged in, it may be a nice iterative improvement

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Solar cars are theoretically impossible in a traditional shaped vehicle. Even if the solar panels are 100% efficient, there isn’t enough energy contained in sunlight in a car’s surface area to power it at any significant speed.

I’m all for cold fusion powered cars though, never have to gas up again. 😀

I think of it more like how some hybrids generate power from the brakes. If a bit of power from one or two panels can extend the range a bit, and if a car can charge when parked even when not plugged in, it may be a nice iterative improvement

Yeah I certainly wouldn’t mind that. But right now I’ll be happy if they can incorporate a solar panel to keep the battery charged in winter, and cabin cool while parked in summer.

One of the German brands actually had something similar, a solar panel in sunroof glass that runs a small fan while parked to circulate outside air inside, so it’s not like an oven in summer.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nope, the Cubs prediction was wrong. It looks like we’ll have to “wait til next year” or maybe when Hell freezes over, or Donald Trump becomes a monk. It could happen. Hell, we have floating hoverboards – well almost. The Cubs just making it to a post season is a miracle in and of itself. 101 games won this year. I guess they have to win 110 (# years since their last title) to win the WS, so that all the planets line up. Holy COW! It could happen.

@bethepro
    Well Jim, I guess hell has frozen over?. LOL.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well elon musk has announced a new solar roof that looks like a conventional roof.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/dRqSkR4ENAg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    well elon musk has announced a new solar roof that looks like a conventional roof.

Nice, any idea of how well it would work in our Canadian climate @r-ice ?

Will

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Yep that’s the future. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next few years we do a project with those.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/dRqSkR4ENAg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Nice, any idea of how well it would work in our Canadian climate @r-ice ?

Not sure how it would work in our climate but I can’t see it not working. Northern US is pretty much the same as us and it was designed to work in the states.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Elon Musk has a great idea, the solar roof, tied into the PowerWall and the Tesla car in your driveway. Run your house and your car off the sun. Fantastic, problem is it’s all a dream right now. Ideas are one thing getting all to the market is another. Right now he has not been able to get his ideas to the marketplace. He needs to concentrate less on dreams and more on building what he dreams.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Hell HAS frozen over apparently. And pigs can fly. And all is right with the universe now that the Cubs are World Champions again.

Some fun…

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hell HAS frozen over apparently. And pigs can fly. And all is right with the universe now that the Cubs are World Champions again.

Some fun…

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UACpXA9eFG0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Ahh Hahaha……… Also funny what the guys shirt says when it flips to the next video, Oooops LOL

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Looks like the old style roofs will be on their way out if the new tesla solar roofs are cheaper and generate electricity.

http://www.sciencealert.com/elon-musk-says-a-tesla-solar-roof-could-cost-less-than-your-crappy-normal-roof

I wonder how long it’ll take to install and what the certification process is to get certified to install tesla’s solar roof.

Looks like the old style roofs will be on their way out if the new tesla solar roofs are cheaper and generate electricity.

http://www.sciencealert.com/elon-musk-says-a-tesla-solar-roof-could-cost-less-than-your-crappy-normal-roof

I wonder how long it’ll take to install and what the certification process is to get certified to install tesla’s solar roof.

Damn…. I would love that and a couple of powerwalls to stop the thousand dollar hydro bills all winter…. Just as a suppliment

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Damn…. I would love that and a couple of powerwalls to stop the thousand dollar hydro bills all winter…. Just as a suppliment

With all the snow that we have here I doubt it will work.
    Unless it has some heating elements to melt the snow.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

was just reading this article and elon musk has suggested there may be heating elements to allow for the melting of snow.

http://www.popsci.com/five-questions-we-still-have-about-musks-new-solar-roofs#page-3

so it seems like they have really given this some thought.

was just reading this article and elon musk has suggested there may be heating elements to allow for the melting of snow.

http://www.popsci.com/five-questions-we-still-have-about-musks-new-solar-roofs#page-3

I was about to say that. It doesn’t take that much heat to remove snow accumulation, and it should be able to do it under its own power (from stored battery)

Sure, thats power that could be used elsewhere, but if the cell gets blocked up, no new power is generated (or very little) so on the balance, its a net gain, and your roof never has a snow load (win/win)

Ive read about similar tech for driveways too. Imagine a self-melting driveway that doesn’t cost anything to run, that generates power the rest of the time… sure beats the current heated driveway systems

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I was about to say that. It doesn’t take that much heat to remove snow accumulation, and it should be able to do it under its own power (from stored battery)

Sure, thats power that could be used elsewhere, but if the cell gets blocked up, no new power is generated (or very little) so on the balance, its a net gain, and your roof never has a snow load (win/win)

Ive read about similar tech for driveways too. Imagine a self-melting driveway that doesn’t cost anything to run, that generates power the rest of the time… sure beats the current heated driveway systems

Has anyone seen anything on a hypothetical pricing structure for these? I’m assuming they’d be pretty expensive, but cool nonetheless.

Has anyone seen anything on a hypothetical pricing structure for these? I’m assuming they’d be pretty expensive, but cool nonetheless.

A lot of the articles say the target price point is to be the same as a current roof. I dont know if that means a shingle roof, or one of those “last forever” steel roofs

If no battery pack, its just a matter of getting it wired to the grid to give back. Some areas let you sell power back, although the rate is garbage and most just let you bring your bill for that period down to zero – you cant sell it back, and you cant earn a credit against winter bills

The powerwall battery kit is a sleek system (that admittedly, you could reproduce yourself with deep-cycle batteries and a lot of hassle) that would power most people’s basic needs. It is possible to wire the roof to charge the powerwall, and the house to run off the powerwall first and off the grid second. A single powerwall is about $7K. For my needs, since I also heat with electric, I would likely need two powerwalls

I would definitely consider making the switch and converting mains power to being my backup. I already have a neighbour who has 3 powerwalls. He can run without any new light for about 2 days at full home power usage, and since even a cloudy day gives some light, he never has fully run out of juice.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The powerwall battery kit is a sleek system (that admittedly, you could reproduce yourself with deep-cycle batteries and a lot of hassle) that would power most people’s basic needs. It is possible to wire the roof to charge the powerwall, and the house to run off the powerwall first and off the grid second. A single powerwall is about $7K. For my needs, since I also heat with electric, I would likely need two powerwalls

@Montreal_Medic
    I was googling the “Powerwall” Nice idea and I wasn’t aware that they are also produced by Musk.

I would love to have enough (5 to 7 days) of reserve to get of the power grid. I have thought of a whole home NG generator run that during the day and use electrical on the lower time of use.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Snow accumulation isn’t bad on the newer steeper residential roofs, you’ll be down for a few days after a dump but wind and sun generally removes snow pretty fast. With such a slick surface though, you gotta be careful about snow slabs avalanching down and smashing stuff.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@montreal_medic,
    I was googling the “Powerwall” Nice idea and I wasn’t aware that they are also produced by Musk.

I would love to have enough (5 to 7 days) of reserve to get of the power grid. I have thought of a whole home NG generator run that during the day and use electrical on the lower time of use.

well for Canadians I already got quoted approximately 12800 for the first one with install and everything and another 7500 for a second one to be installed.

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 663 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.226 seconds