dcsimg

Water Heater Issue

This topic contains 50 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  cynthiamyra 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I don’t think it’s heating up to par but so far I haven’t been able to diagnose the exact problem, Sometimes the water is not as hot as normal and sometimes it is. But it doesn’t seem to last as long either, I really think it’s one of the heating elements but can’t figure out which one….

They both have continuity with a test light but I can’t get a decent reading with my Ohm meter, One thing I’m sure isn’t normal is everytime I check the elements terminals for power it’s always 120v-ish each (which is actually the normal 240v combined). This tells me the T-stats are working properly leading me to believe it’s one of the elements…..

I’m also worried that the tank could be full of calcium which is a total PITA to drain and must be cleaned out. Any ideas?

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

How old is it? You might be better off just replacing the whole thing.

I second it . If you haven’t drained it yearly it does more damage moving the sediment around . Plus not changing the andoed rode out to .

Always willing to learn .

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I second it . If you haven’t drained it yearly it does more damage moving the sediment around . Plus not changing the andoed rode out to .

Two good points, why not put the money you would spend on parts and time, and just replace it if it is older than 8 years

I was gonna say calcium build up also. Electric hot water tanks are knowing to build up lot of calcium around the andoed rod you can remove it and clean it with clr should work for some time again. If tank is over 10 years old you don’t wanna put clr in the tank cuz you may get a new hole in the tank. Has to the the heating element that build up calcium. I had a electric water tank before. I was getting the same result wasn’t coming hot and runtime on the tank was shorter. After changing the heating element it was back to normal. I highly doubt you have a calcium build up in the tank. But it’s good to drain them once in a while. Let us know what you find

Anonymous

I remember buying the tank but not sure when, I’d guess maybe 10 years ago …..at least. I’m heading out now to price new ones but parts are fairly cheap for these, A new element can be had for as little as $8 but I’ve been that route before and they don’t last. I replaced the bottom one once for about $25ish and has lasted for a long time, The only reason I can come up with for the loss of pressure is calcium clogging up either the inlet or outlet which isn’t fun to clean out but I may have to do it. That stuff settles at the bottom but remember the top inlet actually fills at the bottom through an inner pipe coming from the top of the tank.

Wait….. In fact I’ll have to clean out the calcium anyway cuz there ain’t no way I’ll be able to lift it into the truck IF it’s full of it. Unless of course if I buy a new one and have it delivered and installed for a whole bunch of extra $$$, Thanks y’all I’ll keep ya posted on what I find. UGHH!!

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Wait….. In fact I’ll have to clean out the calcium anyway cuz there ain’t no way I’ll be able to lift it into the truck IF it’s full of it.

You could always cut it up with your new recip saw. It’ll take some effort…. but easier than humping the thing around by yourself.

Anonymous

Wait….. In fact I’ll have to clean out the calcium anyway cuz there ain’t no way I’ll be able to lift it into the truck IF it’s full of it.

You could always cut it up with your new recip saw. It’ll take some effort…. but easier than humping the thing around by yourself.

Ahh Hahahaha, Vroom Vroom. But yikes, That sounds like way too much work. Seems like I remember someone doing that very thing on here once?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Ahh Hahahaha, Vroom Vroom. But yikes, That sounds like way too much work. Seems like I remember someone doing that very thing on here once?

Yeah, but mine had to come up from the basement and make a tight left hand turn. Much easier for me to bring it up in sections rather than wrestle it around by myself.

10 years old? Go new and be done. Fresh warranty and worry free hot water.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

If it’s near 10 years old I would replace it. The odds are against it lasting much longer anyways.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

This is always my favourite method of getting the old tanks out. Sometimes a big grinder can be a bit quicker.

The odds are against it lasting much longer anyways.

Exactly what I was thinking too. However you would think they could make them to last a lot longer. 20 years plus, like a roof, would be more palatable.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

The odds are against it lasting much longer anyways.

Exactly what I was thinking too. However you would think they could make them to last a lot longer. 20 years plus, like a roof, would be more palatable.

The gas water heaters seem to last a lot longer.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If you do replace it cut it up and make a smoker out of it

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

It certainly could be calcium build-up.

It could also be one of the elements. Usually, when the water is still warm, but not as warm as it should be, it’s the upper element.

If you can get a decent Ohmmeter, you should have about 10.5 Ohms for a 5500 watt element.

If you just get a new one, I would recommend against cutting the old one up! That sounds like a big mess. They are not really that heavy when empty, and they have insulation in them, which will make a big mess.

When you get a new one, unless you have REALLY soft water, you should flush it regularly. What I do, instead of a full drain every 6 months or a year, is I just drain off about 10-15 gallons every 2 months or so. It keeps it from ever getting built up, and I don’t even shut off the water.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Sounds like my tank before I replaced it this past summer.

It would give hot water for a bit then only cold.
    The hot water pickup in the tank was corroded and snapped about 6″ inside the tank. Once the water level was below that no more hot water, just warm until the heating could not keep up with the cold water filling and then it was just cool water.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I would say if you got 10 years out of it you got your moneys worth.
    Time for a new one.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If it’s near 10 years old I would replace it. The odds are against it lasting much longer anyways.

Plus the new ones are so much more energy efficient. The WH uses a lot of juice so get the most efficient one possible.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Plus the new ones are so much more energy efficient. The WH uses a lot of juice so get the most efficient one possible.

This is true. They have added extra insulation to the newer electric water heaters.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.875 seconds