dcsimg

Warmer Weather Work Boots?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Guys,

with the warmer weather and Summer on the way do you wear different boots? Low cut steel toes? Other?

If yes, which brand?

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

woodman_412

I usually wear the same boots all year round. I wear sneakers in the shop which are cooler than the boots but when I’m on site I always wear my same pair of boots all year round. I’ve never seen a work boot that looks any cooler to wear than what I have so I’ve never bothered switching. Do you Rob?

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i usually switch to a 6″ from a 8″ boot and go to a hiker style thats more breathable, as for saftery material ive been buying composite toe and plate boots for about 4 or 5 years now. much much lighter weight

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I normally wear Wolverine boots in the summer and Timberlands and Redwings in the winter, my pair of Wolverines are lighter and easier to get around in.

Unless I know I might drop something heavy on my toes or know it is going to be a dirty task, athletic shoes it is for me in the summer!

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

All the years I framed houses I always wore running shoes .Work boots are too slippery for walking walls or on the roof .I kept work boots in my truck just for mr inspector 🙂

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I agree John, especially when roofing, however I have never been able to find a good pair of sneakers that support my ankles.

What brand of sneakers do you guys prefer for best traction? Running shoes?

What do you guys prefer for coldest weather?

John S

woodman_412

I prefer a trail type sneaker since they tend to be built a little more durable and have a good tread on them. This is what I wear in the shop.

http://www.merrell.com/CA/en-CA/Product.mvc.aspx/24936M/64944/Mens/Axis-2?dimensions=0

For really cold days I wear my insulated steel toe rubber boots that are good down to -40 deg Cel.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

sneaker wise i typically buy runners, if i know ill eventually downgrade my gym shoes to work sneakers for being on finished floors but still durable i buy trail runners

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

cranbrook2
    Pro

I never noticed the type of runners I usually wore but it they didn,t have good traction then I wouldn,t wear them . I have tried wearing work boots but I find they don,t flex enough and it is hard to feel what you are walking on .

woodman_412

I’m not usually super worried about my toes on site but the thing that makes me the most nervous about not wearing boots is stepping on a nail. Anyone ever had a nail go in their foot?

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro

I have stepped on a few nails here and there and it is always because of someone else .One of my first rules on a job site is if you see any nails sticking out no matter where or who did it always bend them over .It is really a stupid mistake that can be avoided .

woodman_412

Did the nails go into your foot John or just through your shoe?

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro

Right in my foot .My father was a carpenter so my brothers and I grew up stepping in nails . They always went right into my foot most of the time :-O

woodman_412

That would hurt! The danger of stepping on nails alone is enough to keep me in boots on site. I would imagine that it would hurt to walk for awhile after.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro

It,s not bad as long as you are up to date with your tetanus shots ;-)Most of the time it is preventable .

I have managed to somehow never have any nails go fully into my foot… just barely prick me a few times

John S

woodman_412

I’ve been fortunate to never have had a nail or screw go into my body and I’m hoping to keep it that way. The closest call I’ve had was when I shot myself in the knee with a brad nailer but it just deflected off.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro

I have had nails rip skin off my back and my chest along with a few nails in my fingers and lots of nails in my feet over the years . I have also smashed lots of fingers with a hammer in the past .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.517 seconds