dcsimg

Wall mounted sinks

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TopNotch 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So I need to rehang a wall mounted sink in a bath I did.
    Every wall mounted sink I have ever encountered had a steel bracket and you use the holes in the actual sink to hold it on.

This one has no bracket? Anyone else see these?

The old connection had large toggles. I put blocking in and planned on lags.

Was wondering if they make large hanger bolts that I can lang in the hold sink on with bolts.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I always saw the bracket also. One tip I can give is if you use a bolt through porcelain Wrap the bolt with some electrical tape or a piece of plastic tubing . Also maybe a plastic washer like on a toilet bolt. I once broke a expensive pedestal sink just by the sink and pedestal rubbing each other.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

possibly a lag and large washer?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I thought about that too Ron, good looking out.
    My thoughts were some kind of sleeve like a gutter feral.

I don’t know if the metal bracket is something I can get like a universal type.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Is it a new sink? Any pictures?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I planned on lags with a big washer Kurt.

I am a little concerned about over tightening as well as some leaning down on it.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

A few months ago I reinstalled a sink in almost the same situation…..it was originally held on with large toggle bolts and no bracket. I put blocking in and installed it with lags with large washers and I put rubber washers between the sink and the metal washer. The sink in reaching had 4 bolt holes so I used all 4.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Rubber washers are a good idea. Don’t know where I can get them big enough …..More surface rubber than that for a hose.

Perhaps a fine trimmed piece of pipe insulation. That has some compressible value.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I planned on lags with a big washer Kurt.

I am a little concerned about over tightening as well as some leaning down on it.

You could add some rubber washers between the sink and the steel washer for a bit of cushion against someone leaning on the sink. Fender washers will help displace the stress of the load.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I agree on the jpunto07 put a rubber washer. last bathroom I did had a kohler wall mounted sink I put a 2×8 between the 2x4s before I close the wall. So when sink came with 2 holes only to mount the sink I just drill the hole and but a bolt with rubber and metal washer. In you case u need butterfly bolts. Is bathroom have a tile on the wall? You need kind of good support incase someone leans on to it hard . If it sheetrock behind the sink I will open the wall and put a stud behind it just to be safe if it’s tile. You just gonna hope tile is gonna hold up @topnotch

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Rubber washers are a good idea. Don’t know where I can get them big enough …..More surface rubber than that for a hose.

Perhaps a fine trimmed piece of pipe insulation. That has some compressible value.

I got my rubber washers at Home Depot in the hardware aisle in the cabinets with the specialty bolts and nuts.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Dam some guys don’t read…..

I was thinking about something like this too.
    https://embed.widencdn.net/img/ssttoolbox/s1d3jaz5cw/130px@2x/DJT14.jpeg?quality=40&u=cjmyin&crop=0

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Clev08
    Pro

If you can’t get large enough rubber washers maybe putting some layers of sill sealer between the bolt and the sink and trim it after you tighten it down.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4310390&KPID=8186162&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Insulation_-_New&pla=pla_8186162&k_clickid=597665fb-f29d-4635-8b3c-be575b47eb05

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Would GeeFix anchors be a solution?

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

If you can’t find large enough rubber washers almost every auto parts store sells rubber gasket material- you could make whatever size you needed.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Would GeeFix anchors be a solution?

Only if you couldn’t hit studs. Either way, you would still need a method of protecting the porcelain from the screw/washer being tightened.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Its a done deal. I used the foam pipe wrap thats about 3/4″ thick. Its squeezes pretty good.

The biggest biotch of it was squatting down and literally using my had to hold it in place while I drove the bolts in.

I pre drilled and pre drove the bolts in to create the thread so it would take less effort while I doing it.

I could see the sink likely had some kind of plate at one time but was removed and who knows where it is now.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I would have picked up a bracket and installed it. But that’s just me. I have never seen a pedestal sink or a lav sink that didn’t have a bracket and also had screws/lags. The last 2 I removed both had a large heavy duty cast iron bracket. They had 2 slotted vertical holes, which would make it rather easy to adjust for height and level and 4 or 6 additional holes. Every hole had a screw in it.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I need to pick up a longer tail piece and maybe a male trap adapter. I am trying to make the trap neat and enclose the waste adapter with a box flange.

I prefer the female adapter since it gives you the extra space to slide the tail piece into. With female adapters they have a nub that stops you from going beyond it unless you file it off.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.558 seconds