dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day)

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author

Tool of the day today was the guide for my router. Let me do great stopped dadoes in a dovetailed box

And the pictures of the box are where?

That’s fair. Here you go b’y

Those are some good looking boxes @montreal_woodworks do you use a dovetail jig to cut your dovetails?

Sort of. Ive been practicing hand cut dovetails, and wasnt sure I could get this right, so I did the best ai could to copy the angle and spacing of my porter-cable dovetail jig. That way, if it ended up taking too long, I could do the other corners with the jig and it wouldnt be too obvious of a difference. In the end, the smaller box was by hand and the larger box was machined. I can see the difference but my wife cannot.

My TOTD is the Bosch 18V grinder. I love this thing. Helped a friend cut some rebar for a fence project.

Attachments:
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Oh man, I really put some tools to use this past week working on salvaging a 60 year old fence for my in laws. But the amazing thing was – I only went through one and a half 4.0 Ah batteries all week long! And it’s not like I was holding back either. I had some 12″ of treated timber to drill through with a 3/8″ self feeding paddle bit, 12″ lag bolts to sink, and tons of 4×4 posts and ancient 1×8 fence material to cut. But the star of the show was definitely my cordless circ saw. Not having the cord 150′ away from the nearest outlet and just ripping through all that old wood and it didn’t falter at all. Even though it took some getting used to cutting with my left hand, I loved that little saw.

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Was definitely my track saw. It had multiple uses.

I got a lot of use out of my Kreg K5 pocket hole jig this weekend. My son is being babysat, so we are running through smaller projects that have been building up at home. Got a lot done faster than if I had done traditional joinery, and no visible holes this time. Today is prime and paint day

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Star of the show today was my bench vise – got this little guy for $10 used and it’s been awesome. Lately I’ve been using it to hold my grinder so I can sharpen my chisels and then do some shaping for the “lathe” parts I needed to make.

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Breaker bar and torque wrench were my TOTD yesterday. Changing out the winter tires to summers on both my daily drivers. Hate doing my SUV as it’s a PITA to change out 32″ tall tires.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Festool Pro5 sander won yesterday. Sanding window trim in the living room, over the couch, and there was ZERO dust. Sunny enough that I would have seen it too.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

TOTD today was a combination of the grinder with a diamond blade and a cold chisel to fix a beam pocket in a block wall.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m loving my homemade lathe – I fashioned it out of a DeWalt corded drill I bought used for $10 about a year ago and some mish-mashed thrown together random parts. But it is doing the trick to get these 2′ x 2″ stakes sanded. I’ll get more done tomorrow.

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:

I’m loving my homemade lathe – I fashioned it out of a DeWalt corded drill I bought used for $10 about a year ago and some mish-mashed thrown together random parts. But it is doing the trick to get these 2′ x 2″ stakes sanded. I’ll get more done tomorrow.

Does the drill rotate at the right speed to work?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice work on the homemade lathe. I should try this with an old B&D corded I have had and just can’t bring myself to toss.

— Glenn Botting

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

@58CHEV. Way to go on being creative with the drill. I like it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

58chev. Way to go on being creative with the drill. I like it.

I can’t take the credit for the homemade lathe, that was @cmeyer25 who built it.

— Glenn Botting

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@montreal_medic I’m only using it to sand these stakes – no actual shaping is going on so it goes all sorts of variable speeds since I hold the trigger and sand paper at the same time. I’m not sure what speed it would need to go to actual put a chisel tonit – but I probably won’t even try since the right side part that supports the work piece isn’t stable enough to handle that kind of pressure. I think. I might give it a try just to experiment later on. But for now I’m just sanding.

@58chev do it! I bet you’ll use better parts and get it all nice and tight. I’d love to see your design and what you use to pull it off.

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Not exactly a tool but my camel pack has been saving me lately – I’m often going all over the place and getting hydrated can be hard to remember. So having something I don’t have to carry really helps a ton and still leaves my hands free to get stuff done.

Charlie

Instagram

My tool of the day is magnificent lol
    Will be inspecting my glass parts today

My tool of the day was my first aid kit. One of those things you never want to need, but when you do, you’re glad its fully stocked and within reach

Oh man, I really put some tools to use this past week working on salvaging a 60 year old fence for my in laws. But the amazing thing was – I only went through one and a half 4.0 Ah batteries all week long! And it’s not like I was holding back either. I had some 12″ of treated timber to drill through with a 3/8″ self feeding paddle bit, 12″ lag bolts to sink, and tons of 4×4 posts and ancient 1×8 fence material to cut. But the star of the show was definitely my cordless circ saw. Not having the cord 150′ away from the nearest outlet and just ripping through all that old wood and it didn’t falter at all. Even though it took some getting used to cutting with my left hand, I loved that little saw.

That is awesome, one of the best advertisements for the cordless tools you could have.

Will

cmeyer25 wrote:
    Oh man, I really put some tools to use this past week working on salvaging a 60 year old fence for my in laws. But the amazing thing was – I only went through one and a half 4.0 Ah batteries all week long! And it’s not like I was holding back either. I had some 12″ of treated timber to drill through with a 3/8″ self feeding paddle bit, 12″ lag bolts to sink, and tons of 4×4 posts and ancient 1×8 fence material to cut. But the star of the show was definitely my cordless circ saw. Not having the cord 150′ away from the nearest outlet and just ripping through all that old wood and it didn’t falter at all. Even though it took some getting used to cutting with my left hand, I loved that little saw

Why did you use your left hand with the saw?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 1,007 total)
  • The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day)’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.263 seconds