dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day)

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

when I whip out my laser measure only one had even seen one before, but they all used it, and every single one of them was all “I’ve got to go get me one of these!”

Great story and nice that you are spreading the Bosch word. Did you get the GLM20 off the list?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

when I whip out my laser measure only one had even seen one before, but they all used it, and every single one of them was all “I’ve got to go get me one of these!”

Great story and nice that you are spreading the Bosch word. Did you get the GLM20 off the list?

I’ll second that Bill, great story, and great way to spread the word about a great product. From a great company Bosch.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@theamcguy I was sent the laser measure to review. It was kind of funny actually. I’d never used one before, and couldn’t really see myself using it, but once I got it I started to realize just how useful it can really be. One of those have-to-see-it-to-believe-it kind of instances. And now that I’m realizing how much time and effort it can save, it’s fun to show other people (especially people who would use it every day).

Charlie

Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

@theamcguy I was sent the laser measure to review. It was kind of funny actually. I’d never used one before, and couldn’t really see myself using it, but once I got it I started to realize just how useful it can really be. One of those have-to-see-it-to-believe-it kind of instances. And now that I’m realizing how much time and effort it can save, it’s fun to show other people (especially people who would use it every day).

I see estimate guys for larger companies almost all have one so they can get in and get out.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@clev08 I’m dealing with smaller operations but I would think they would want that kind of tool just as much if not more since their margins have to be so much tighter.

Charlie

Instagram

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

My tool of the day was this trim router, 45 degree chamfer bit and a custom base great for trimming hundreds of feet of edgebanding. Don’t have to worry about the grain direction, just pass the router along the edge it cleans it up nicely. Great to have if you do a lot of edgebanding, saves a lot of time!

Tool of the day was my router table. Lots of dadoes, but I havent been feeling right around the table saw lately

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@jamieM that looks like a nice set up to keep the router balanced 👍

@montreal_medic what’s going on with your table saw? Or is it how you’re feeling? Every so often I start thinking about my table saw and how it could so easily mangle me…that puts me off wanting to use it for a bit.

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My TOTD was definitely my ps41. I spent the morning adjusting the mechanisms on some sort hardware and it was perfect for all the little screws.

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@theamcguy I was sent the laser measure to review. It was kind of funny actually. I’d never used one before, and couldn’t really see myself using it

That’s a great story, skeptic becomes convert and then spreads the word to others. Yeah I use my Bosch Laser Measure all the time as well. Got mine off the list to try and ended up liking it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

My tool of the day was this trim router, 45 degree chamfer bit and a custom base great for trimming hundreds of feet of edgebanding. Don’t have to worry about the grain direction, just pass the router along the edge it cleans it up nicely. Great to have if you do a lot of edgebanding, saves a lot of time!

Good looking base! Nice and stable.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

@jamiem that looks like a nice set up to keep the router balanced 👍

@montreal_medic what’s going on with your table saw? Or is it how you’re feeling? Every so often I start thinking about my table saw and how it could so easily mangle me…that puts me off wanting to use it for a bit.

You’re going to have to link me as montreal_woodworks now for it to ping me, but thanks for doing so anyways

Im not sure, but the past couple of projects, I haven’t felt all that steady on the TS. No real reason behind it, but I just haven’t felt as steady as usual. I suspect Im getting in my own head ever since I started looking into the sawstop and have been reading so many testimonies.

Frankly, Im tempted to put my opinion of that company aside and give them my money anyways. If the legal issues were not hurting the Reaxx, I would probably just buy that, since Bosch has earned some degree of brand preference for me.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@montreal_woodworks I get it. I was following Saw Stop on IG and finally had to unfollow them because it felt like every day they were pushing the idea that, without their product, I was going to lose my fingers, or worse. I even commented once about how fear based their advertising was….they didn’t like that. I agree about the reaxx too – but I’m in a different place financially, so, since it’s not even an option at this point, I stopped looking at them. And that helped me feel a lot better around the table saw. It’s really easy to become uneasy when you’re doing a lot of intense scrutiny of all the horror stories. I don’t know what research you’ve done, but be sure to remember that the stories Saw Stop (and even Bosch for their Reaxx) are telling are told for the express purpose of selling saws. They want you to be scared enough to drop $1500 on their saw.

And I’m not trying to minimize the importance of saw safety. But I also have felt that mounting fear and had to do some work to get out of that perspective.
    Also, if you haven’t already, check out this article http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/table-saw-injury-numbers-in-perspective it seems to have a pretty even tone about the issue, and I believe there are follow up articles as well. It helped a little to think about how doors are the cause of many more finger amputations than table saws are. Somehow that put things in a different perspective for me.

I hope this is encouraging to you, and doesn’t feel dismissive. I completely agree that table saws are not something to be flippant about, especially when we use them as much as we do. But I also hate the way companies prey on consumer fear and build it up just to sell us on something. I’m all for facts and careful consideration, but when it starts leading someone who is confident and capable to second guess their own abilities, that seems predatory to me.

Charlie

Instagram

@montreal_woodworks I get it. I was following Saw Stop on IG and finally had to unfollow them because it felt like every day they were pushing the idea that, without their product, I was going to lose my fingers, or worse. I even commented once about how fear based their advertising was….they didn’t like that. I agree about the reaxx too – but I’m in a different place financially, so, since it’s not even an option at this point, I stopped looking at them. And that helped me feel a lot better around the table saw. It’s really easy to become uneasy when you’re doing a lot of intense scrutiny of all the horror stories. I don’t know what research you’ve done, but be sure to remember that the stories Saw Stop (and even Bosch for their Reaxx) are telling are told for the express purpose of selling saws. They want you to be scared enough to drop $1500 on their saw.

And I’m not trying to minimize the importance of saw safety. But I also have felt that mounting fear and had to do some work to get out of that perspective.
    Also, if you haven’t already, check out this article http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/table-saw-injury-numbers-in-perspective it seems to have a pretty even tone about the issue, and I believe there are follow up articles as well. It helped a little to think about how doors are the cause of many more finger amputations than table saws are. Somehow that put things in a different perspective for me.

I hope this is encouraging to you, and doesn’t feel dismissive. I completely agree that table saws are not something to be flippant about, especially when we use them as much as we do. But I also hate the way companies prey on consumer fear and build it up just to sell us on something. I’m all for facts and careful consideration, but when it starts leading someone who is confident and capable to second guess their own abilities, that seems predatory to me.

I hear you, and Im not sure this is whats happening either. I just dont feel as smooth on the table saw as I usually do.

In fairness, this has happened before with other tools, so maybe it has nothing to do with fear. Usually, it fades in a few days and Im back where I was. The woodworking equivalent of the Yips.

Its just that this time does correspond to a lot of reading on sawstop saws, so it may be a trigger. No idea

Mine yesterday pretty much all day was the annealing oven,
    And while I was waiting for the part’s to cool down I used the PS30 for dismantling a couple of old power supplies.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Tool 9f the day today was definitely my 18V circular saw. I did the majority of my cutting outside, however I brought the 18v saw inside to do my random odd cuts and saved me a ton of running around.

Tool of the day today was the guide for my router. Let me do great stopped dadoes in a dovetailed box

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Tool of the day today was the guide for my router. Let me do great stopped dadoes in a dovetailed box

And the pictures of the box are where?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

That’s fair. Here you go b’y

Attachments:
    Clev08
    Pro

That’s fair. Here you go b’y

Those are some good looking boxes @montreal_woodworks do you use a dovetail jig to cut your dovetails?

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 1,007 total)
  • The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day)’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.604 seconds