dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day)

Viewing 20 posts - 961 through 980 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

TOTD will end up being my snowblower.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

TOTD was a jig (2) that helps register panels that are being glued and nailed. Turned a 2 person job into a one person job.

Man those are nice! On the corners? Did you have anything on the inside or just glue and pin together?

Doobie

TOTD will end up being my snowblower.

I suppose that was my TOTD too.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

TOTD was my craftsman lathe. It’s been on the verge of breaking completely for a while now, but it keeps going and this morning it made it through another project – a small Christmas present for my wife.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My contractor table saw was my TOTD. I used it alot today. It makes things easier for me compared to the old table saw I had.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

TOTD was a jig (2) that helps register panels that are being glued and nailed. Turned a 2 person job into a one person job.

Not sure I get what’s going on here – is the plywood there to hold the hexagons in place for glue up and give the bottom a flat surface to balance on? If so, that seems like a great jig!

Thanks, Exactly, and the little pieces of scrap fastened to the plywood help us locate the corners at bottom while we use one hand at the top of each joint and the nailer in the other hand.

Great little jig! Simple and effective, my favourite things.

What are the boxes going to be used for?

Thanks, the boxes will be for object display in an exhibit at a museum.

Man those are nice! On the corners? Did you have anything on the inside or just glue and pin together?

Thanks, we’ve just been gluing and pinning. No additional support on the inside. We’ve started pinning all at just the top to get all 6 sides up and then they seem to support each other and we can put more pressure on the joints to get them lined up. It’s pretty stable plywoood but not all of it stays flat after we cut so many require a little manipulation along the length of each joint to get them tight. Didn’t have quite enough in the budget for mdo but I’d rather be working with that for it’s dimensional stability.

j

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My tool of the day the Bosch GO Screwdriver. Saved me a ton of work putting together and TV stand. Got everything nice and tight.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Not sure I get what’s going on here – is the plywood there to hold the hexagons in place for glue up and give the bottom a flat surface to balance on? If so, that seems like a great jig!

Thanks, Exactly, and the little pieces of scrap fastened to the plywood help us locate the corners at bottom while we use one hand at the top of each joint and the nailer in the other hand.

Great little jig! Simple and effective, my favourite things.

What are the boxes going to be used for?

Thanks, the boxes will be for object display in an exhibit at a museum.

Thanks, we’ve just been gluing and pinning. No additional support on the inside. We’ve started pinning all at just the top to get all 6 sides up and then they seem to support each other and we can put more pressure on the joints to get them lined up. It’s pretty stable plywoood but not all of it stays flat after we cut so many require a little manipulation along the length of each joint to get them tight. Didn’t have quite enough in the budget for mdo but I’d rather be working with that for it’s dimensional stability.

That’s a great idea. I’ve made a few smaller hexagonal boxes before for decorative shelves – I may have to copy you, it seems like a really good idea! I always just use ratchet straps to sinch everything together, and that works pretty well, but I do usually have to do some adjusting too to get everything to stay flat.

Charlie

Instagram

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

TOTD today would be my big old yellow miter saw for all the trim I cut this morning. If I had to use a miter box and hand saw like the old timers, I would probably still be on my second door frame lol

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

That’s a great idea. I’ve made a few smaller hexagonal boxes before for decorative shelves – I may have to copy you, it seems like a really good idea! I always just use ratchet straps to sinch everything together, and that works pretty well, but I do usually have to do some adjusting too to get everything to stay flat.
    https://bethepro.com/members/cmeyer25/
    Thanks Charlie,

I saw your hexagonal shelves somewhere on here. They look great! I was wondering how you held the joints together….
    I tried ratchet straps with these. We’re making 40-45 @ 30” high, 24”high, 18 and 12” high. With the taller sizes we needed the jig just to get everything where we could strap it but then with the jig didn’t end up needing the strap. We’re using ½” material so it doesn’t stay balancing upright easily.

j

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Working outside today with the PB360 going ,,toolofdaday.

Actually just using the PB180 listening to Christmas tunes
    While getting things done around the house.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

https://bethepro.com/members/cmeyer25/
    Thanks Charlie,

I saw your hexagonal shelves somewhere on here. They look great! I was wondering how you held the joints together….
    I tried ratchet straps with these. We’re making 40-45 @ 30” high, 24”high, 18 and 12” high. With the taller sizes we needed the jig just to get everything where we could strap it but then with the jig didn’t end up needing the strap. We’re using ½” material so it doesn’t stay balancing upright easily.

That’s so many! And hey, if it’s working for you, it’s doing it’s job, right? Looked like you were getting some real consistent, solid joints with your jig, and that’s all you could ask for 🙂 Good luck with you project! And Merry Christmas!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

My 60 year old Scotch tape dispenser was my TOTD wrappin gifts today. They just don’t make them like those old ones nowadays.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s pretty good milage, I traded mine in in 2012 for a Kia Sorento v6 4 wheel drive, loving it so far,
    My Escape had 199,000 klm when I traded it in. Yes they do have good ground clearance.

Thoroughly unimpressed with the abilities in the snow of the Impreza Outback that I just got her this summer, compared to the Escape. They all have Subaru’s at her work, and rave about them in the snow, but they don’t live out here. It does get maybe 30% better mileage, but that’s not important to me this time of year, and then there’s the head gasket issues, and that it has a timing belt, instead of chain.

Think I’ll go get another Escape of that vintage down South, and either keep the Subaru for the good weather, or do what I had planned on doing, get her a more vintage gas-sipper, like a Del Sol, or a Fiero. Personally, I want an Eagle SX/4, but that would be just for fun.

TOTD was the snowblower again. We got another probably 8″.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TOTD was the snowblower again. We got another probably 8″.

Sparky where do you live the Great White North. LOL man you get a lot of snow that is for sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sparky where do you live the Great White North. LOL man you get a lot of snow that is for sure.

It’s certainly not Buffalo, but we get our share. Off to a slow start this winter, actually. No matter what I do, just never feel fully prepared for it.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

My TOTD was the scrub brush, lol. I finally took the time and just went for it and cleaned all the circular saw blades I own. I don’t have any special cleaner, and it’s probably too little too late for a bunch of them, but now they’re all sitting in the drying rack and I’m hoping that they’ll run a whole lot better now!

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

My TOTD was the scrub brush, lol. I finally took the time and just went for it and cleaned all the circular saw blades I own. I don’t have any special cleaner, and it’s probably too little too late for a bunch of them, but now they’re all sitting in the drying rack and I’m hoping that they’ll run a whole lot better now!

Thanks for the excellent reminder, Charlie. I need to do the same. I was mounting my dado stack just before Christmas and noticed how gummed up it had become.

What did you use to clean them? I have been using methyl hydrate to soak the blades in but always looking for newer, better ways.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My TOTD was the scrub brush, lol.

Sometimes you just have to breakdown and clean them up by hand. Use WD-40 to clean the blades after use just takes a few seconds.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 961 through 980 (of 1,007 total)
  • The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day)’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.881 seconds