dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day)

Viewing 20 posts - 781 through 800 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Trowels are the TOTD today. Got what I hope to be my last coat of mud on in my landing area this morning, now just some paper work and family time.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I’m really loving these auto-strippers for wiring up small circuits. I’ve used them on standard 15 and 20 amp circuits with romex, but I mainly use them in light fixtures for replacing ballasts and similar small jobs. I had about twenty lights to change the other night with three or four ballasts to replace too, and these make such a difference. They’ve easily paid for themselves over the standard plier style strippers in time savings and not slamming my hands into the sharp metal edges when the sheathing finally lets go.

I keep thinking about a set of those but never remember to pick any up. I end up using my pocket knife. I wouldn’t know what brand to pick up but I suppose any of them are better than none of them.

I’m really loving these auto-strippers for wiring up small circuits. I’ve used them on standard 15 and 20 amp circuits with romex, but I mainly use them in light fixtures for replacing ballasts and similar small jobs. I had about twenty lights to change the other night with three or four ballasts to replace too, and these make such a difference. They’ve easily paid for themselves over the standard plier style strippers in time savings and not slamming my hands into the sharp metal edges when the sheathing finally lets go.

They look great tool to have in the tool box/bag. I bought a cheap pair once. They were no good. I should get another pair.

The Klein ones I have are really great, and they automatically adjust for the diameter wire you’re using which is huge – I looked at a pair of Southwire autostrippers today, and they weren’t nearly as nice looking – the jaws still had the varied sized holes like a standard wire stripper, but rotated sideways so the handles pulled the coating off like the one I posted. Not nearly as easy or user friendly. And they were the same price too – $25.

I will have keep my eye out for a pair of them.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

I have a quick strip wire sheath stripper, but not that style. Mine you have to line them up with the proper set grove that the gauge of the wire is in question. That style seems even easier. Could you maybe give a closer pic of the stripper part of it so I can better understand how they work Charlie?

@cmeyer25

It should be noted though, speaking to some electrician buddies, most frown on all these types of easy spring loaded types of semi auto strippers citing that they can cause nicks in the wires than can eventually lead to breakage of the actual wire over time. I’ve used mine for close to 20 years and have never had that issue and continued using mine whenever I can despite knowing this for many years. I’m always looking carefully to make sure the wire is set properly in it’s proper cutting grove to avoid this potential hazard. Myself, I always kinda sucked at using the traditional type of manual wire stripper tool. Just never got the hang of those.

I’ve always really enjoyed doing electrical work. It’s one of the trades I highly respect and curiously enough, I’ve always seem to get along real well with electricians even upon first getting to know them and not knowing yet they are sparkies. Doing electrical as part of a reno project is always a joyous part of it for me. Anything that I’m scratching my head on or is simply too much for me, like swapping or installing a panel, one of my best buddies who is a childhood friend of mine is always at the ready to guide me over the phone or come over and help me out. I’m very fortunate in that regard.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I have a quick strip wire sheath stripper, but not that style. Mine you have to line them up with the proper set grove that the gauge of the wire is in question. That style seems even easier. Could you maybe give a closer pic of the stripper part of it so I can better understand how they work Charlie?

@cmeyer25

It should be noted though, speaking to some electrician buddies, most frown on all these types of easy spring loaded types of semi auto strippers citing that they can cause nicks in the wires than can eventually lead to breakage of the actual wire over time. I’ve used mine for close to 20 years and have never had that issue and continued using mine whenever I can despite knowing this for many years. I’m always looking carefully to make sure the wire is set properly in it’s proper cutting grove to avoid this potential hazard. Myself, I always kinda sucked at using the traditional type of manual wire stripper tool. Just never got the hang of those.

I’ve always really enjoyed doing electrical work. It’s one of the trades I highly respect and curiously enough, I’ve always seem to get along real well with electricians even upon first getting to know them and not knowing yet they are sparkies. Doing electrical as part of a reno project is always a joyous part of it for me. Anything that I’m scratching my head on or is simply too much for me, like swapping or installing a panel, one of my best buddies who is a childhood friend of mine is always at the ready to guide me over the phone or come over and help me out. I’m very fortunate in that regard.

I love electrical work myself. I’d never heard about the potential knicking that could lead to future breakage, that’s new info to me, but from what I’ve seen of this tool, it might have found a way to get around that, since it doesn’t cut all the way through the jacket, but basically scores and tears it off. I’ll have to post a picture of it when I go back to work Monday, but it’s really a great tool.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The Hitachi 15 ga. finish nailer was the tool of the day!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The Hitachi 15 ga. finish nailer was the tool of the day!!

I can tell with all the work that was done at the Lazy Pigs shop.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Not today’s, but yesterday’s TOTD was a toss up – I was working in an attic wrapping insulation around bathroom vent, and I couldn’t have done any of it without my GLI18V-1900 work light, but I also was working in very dusty conditions, but coming down to talk to my friend and his wife a bunch as the project progressed, so my RZMask was a huge help too. For protection, but also it’s so easy to take on and off that it really makes a difference coming in and out of that environment.

Charlie

Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

My tools of the day the last few days have been my aviation snips, red and green. Been doing aluminum trim around the windows we installed, lots of cutting and bending! My red (right hand cut) are Milwaukee, and my green (left hand cut) are Lenox. I really like the Milwaukee, the Lenox, not so much.

Saw on Instagram that Milwaukee has made some improvements, the one I have comes unlocked really easily, often times when I put it back in my toolbag . They’ve fixed that with a new locking system. Hoping to get a set of these as soon as they’re available!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Husqvarna 450e chainsaw. Just a short day. Tore through the ash pretty well, I guess I sharpened it OK.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Almost every tool I own is TOTD but my Bosch 18v oscillating tool might be the most handy right now. Exterior repairs and paint on my home this weekend…

j

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That would be like having to cut the lawn with scissors. Lol!

We have a lot of that going on over here.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Tool of the Day was a hack saw. My apprentice lost the privilege of using my recip. Saw. So I figured he can cut by hand until he buys his own.

I really would like to hear the story there.

@TonyG
    , its story time!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

TOTD today was a #1 Robertson screwdriver for changing plugs and switches.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

No story really. I am just particular about my tools and such. I like things put back where they go, ie my recip saw. I also have a case for my blades and when I am done cutting I put my blades back it the case. It allows me to keep track of what I have and what I need. But The biggest issue was him draining my batteries and not putting them on the charger. Than when I need a battery they are all dead. If you can’t follow these rules for my tools than don’t use them.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

TOTD today was the OMT. Makes it so easy to cut existing trim to height to make way for the new flooring.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie

I’ll have to post a picture of it when I go back to work Monday, but it’s really a great tool.

Thanks! I’ll await that.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My TOTD today was Gray breaker bar I used to take the wheel nuts off the van. It used be my Dad’s. It must be over 40 years old. I other tools I could have used for this job.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

No story really. I am just particular about my tools and such. I like things put back where they go, ie my recip saw. I also have a case for my blades and when I am done cutting I put my blades back it the case. It allows me to keep track of what I have and what I need. But The biggest issue was him draining my batteries and not putting them on the charger. Than when I need a battery they are all dead. If you can’t follow these rules for my tools than don’t use them.

I totally agree with that Tony,
    Hopefully he is smart enough to figure that out by himself

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Leave blower. Saved from a lot of raking today.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

razor knife cutting asphalt shingles

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 781 through 800 (of 1,007 total)
  • The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day)’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.964 seconds