dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day)

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author

My tools of the day are the beryllium for non magnetic assembly for the militarily projects.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m really loving these auto-strippers for wiring up small circuits. I’ve used them on standard 15 and 20 amp circuits with romex, but I mainly use them in light fixtures for replacing ballasts and similar small jobs. I had about twenty lights to change the other night with three or four ballasts to replace too, and these make such a difference. They’ve easily paid for themselves over the standard plier style strippers in time savings and not slamming my hands into the sharp metal edges when the sheathing finally lets go.

I keep thinking about a set of those but never remember to pick any up. I end up using my pocket knife. I wouldn’t know what brand to pick up but I suppose any of them are better than none of them.

I’m really loving these auto-strippers for wiring up small circuits. I’ve used them on standard 15 and 20 amp circuits with romex, but I mainly use them in light fixtures for replacing ballasts and similar small jobs. I had about twenty lights to change the other night with three or four ballasts to replace too, and these make such a difference. They’ve easily paid for themselves over the standard plier style strippers in time savings and not slamming my hands into the sharp metal edges when the sheathing finally lets go.

They look great tool to have in the tool box/bag. I bought a cheap pair once. They were no good. I should get another pair.

The Klein ones I have are really great, and they automatically adjust for the diameter wire you’re using which is huge – I looked at a pair of Southwire autostrippers today, and they weren’t nearly as nice looking – the jaws still had the varied sized holes like a standard wire stripper, but rotated sideways so the handles pulled the coating off like the one I posted. Not nearly as easy or user friendly. And they were the same price too – $25.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My tools of the day are the beryllium for non magnetic assembly for the militarily projects.

Those have to be expensive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

TOTD was absolutely the shop vac. My wife would have murdered me if I didn’t have it going all day lol

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I’d say your right Bill. Specialty tools are always tough on the pocket book.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

You guys are right, thank God it’s the company who was paying for the beryllium tools,
    I think we have about 4 kits in the company, I’ll try to get a picture Monday of the complete kit, it’s in a nice wooden case also,
    The weight is incredible compare to say the regular screwdrivers or wrench.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Table saw was the TOTD yesterday. Rabbets, dados, tapers, ripping all in a day’s work.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

You guys are right, thank God it’s the company who was paying for the beryllium tools,
    I think we have about 4 kits in the company, I’ll try to get a picture Monday of the complete kit, it’s in a nice wooden case also,

Are they heavier or lighter? And what is it about Berillium that makes them necessary?

Are they heavier or lighter? And what is it about Berillium that makes them necessary?

Heavier, and specifically for using on the detection heads, does not transfer any magnetic into the hardware, and must use specific hardware non magnetic, just because it can interfere with the detection heads. Not one piece of steel or metal that can transfer a magnetic field
    All the hardware we use has to be sent to a special test facilities for testing, once past it gets used in the projects.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Heavier, and specifically for using on the detection heads, does not transfer any magnetic into the hardware, and must use specific hardware non magnetic, just because it can interfere with the detection heads. Not one piece of steel or metal that can transfer a magnetic field
    All the hardware we use has to be sent to a special test facilities for testing, once past it gets used in the projects.

That’s so interesting! I’m sure it’s probably a pain at times, but I have a minor in physics that I never use at all in my day to day, so your job seems really intriguing! I hope once it’s done you can share a little more about what you’re putting together for the military, I’m really curious 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

@cmeyer25 check this out Charlie,
    This is what we do
    magnetic anomaly detector (mad)

Oops, sorry I’ll try again
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=magnetic+anomaly+detector+(mad)&tbm=isch&oq=magnetic+anomaly+de&gs_l=mobile-heirloom-serp.1.3.0j0i30j0i24l3.8170.62495.0.67777.47.30.10.1.1.2.462.4700.3j21j3j0j1.28.0….0…1.1.34.mobile-heirloom-serp..21.26.3829.BsqzmYsVm2g

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@cmeyer25 check this out Charlie,
    This is what we do
    magnetic anomaly detector (mad)

Oops, sorry I’ll try again
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=magnetic+anomaly+detector+(mad)&tbm=isch&oq=magnetic+anomaly+de&gs_l=mobile-heirloom-serp.1.3.0j0i30j0i24l3.8170.62495.0.67777.47.30.10.1.1.2.462.4700.3j21j3j0j1.28.0….0…1.1.34.mobile-heirloom-serp..21.26.3829.BsqzmYsVm2g

So basically, you’re a MAD scientist 😉

That’s really cool Brian, that kind of detection technology seems like it would involve a lot of precision and calculation. Is that true for your work, or is it mostly the production of the parts that go into the technology?

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

More work with the splitting maul, but some were not (knot) even worth trying. So the tool of the day would be the Husqvarna chain saw. It splits nice and straight. Got a new spark plug in it today.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Todays TOTD was the 18V circular saw. We used it all morning forming the footing.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Tool of the Day was a hack saw. My apprentice lost the privilege of using my recip. Saw. So I figured he can cut by hand until he buys his own.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

My apprentice lost the privilege of using my recip.

What did he do to no longer use the resip saw???

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My apprentice lost the privilege of using my recip.

What did he do to no longer use the resip saw???

Gotta be a good story there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Tool of the Day was a hack saw. My apprentice lost the privilege of using my recip. Saw. So I figured he can cut by hand until he buys his own.

I really would like to hear the story there.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Must have been pretty bad. That would be like having to cut the lawn with scissors. Lol!

I really would like to hear the story there.

Yes, curious to know what happened also.

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 1,007 total)
  • The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day)’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.905 seconds