dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

besides the crutches… when im on the jobsite id say either any of my impact drivers or the table saw
    framing in renos i consantly have to make changes to door openings or sizes so using screws is so much easier than nails… so the impact comes out for that

the table saw becauw i constantly have to rip down fur strips… make tapered rips of framing lumber to create plumb on existig alls which arent and any other number of tasks

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@chadm @doobie I wasn’t trying to get a “best of the best” list, more of a daily check in to see what is really helping people on a day by day basis. Just like everyone has said, the tool you most need depends on the project at hand, so I’m looking for what is the project and what’s the tool, for “today”. I’d love to see people weighing in every day, or every couple of days as projects change, sharing what’s getting them through that day.

For me today, these daisy chained floor fans are just the bees knees. I love being able to string them together, and they’re so light that moving all four of the ones I have is possible with two in each hand. So, today, they’re my VIT.

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    Doobie

Got it now Charlie. A ‘tool of the day’ mention.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie exactly. Maybe I should try and change the thread title, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Does a radio counts as a tool? I just don’t like working without some beats in the background. I remember the days when I had an old radio, plug-in or feed by some large D batteries, which don’t last that long. Nowadays you have the cordless radios which run on our powertool batteries all day long even for several days. On my hand it’s the PB180 and the PB360S

I am with you my Milwaukee Bluetooth speaker is the most important thing. Keeps me going all day. I love how small it is and it’s super loud. Louder than my bosch power box but the bosch has bass. It’s just heavier

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Day in and day out my VIT would have to be a tape measure. I can frame a house with a rock and a jig saw if I had to, but not without a tape!

Generally speaking though aside from the obvious things in my pouch, I’d have to say my Pasalode framing nailer. It juat makes life so much easier.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think my most valuable everyday tool is my 6″ precision scale. It lives in my pocket, goes everywhere, and is the most used tool in the shop. The scale on the end is perfect for setting height of sawblades or router bits accurately.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Day in and day out my VIT would have to be a tape measure. I can frame a house with a rock and a jig saw if I had to, but not without a tape!

Generally speaking though aside from the obvious things in my pouch, I’d have to say my Pasalode framing nailer. It juat makes life so much easier.

If you can frame with a rock and a jigsaw, you don’t need a tape – just make a story stick from a second rock 🙂

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

A pencil !

I would have to go with my ruler be it tape or a fixed ruler. Have to be measuring for all my projects and work.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@pi_woodworker @woodsconstruction any particular tape, or just whichever one is on hand? Or does yours have some special feature that you like that makes it particularly useful to the work you’re doing? I have found at various times that I prefer a self braking tape vs one without a break, but then there are times when the opposite is true too. I also have times when a small, 12′ tape has enough length for what I need, and the reduced bulk is always nice, but there are times when you just can’t get away with that small of a measuring tool.

Recently I have really been liking my Bosch laser measure, but that also has its limitations.

Charlie

Instagram

Charlie, I like the Komelon 12′ self locking tape. It is lighter and smaller in size versus larger tape measures. I rarely need to measure beyond 8-9′ so the 12′ tape is just fine for my purposes. I like the self locking feature also – pull out the tape and it stays. Want to close it up, then push the release button. I agree with you that one tape measure can’t do it all but this one has worked great for me. In order to not be looking for the tape measure in the shop as one tape seems to always be hard to find, I keep 4 on hand at various spots to avoid that problem.

Attachments:
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@ronw @brianpeters don’t worry about picking the best of all your tools – I’m the same way (and I’m sure most of us are) – the tools depends on the job. That’s why I was saying to just showcase a tool here. It’s more for letting everyone see any good tool that works well for whatever project you have going currently. My examples were good illustrations of that. I rarely use that jig saw, but for that particular project it was indispensable! Also, like every other good thread – let’s post pictures!

@montreal_medic @r-ice I’d love to see your work benches. Mine is pretty funny looking, but definitely unique and it also does a ton of work in my shop.

here is mine, i was using a mixture by @montreal_medic to finish the top, I am going to add the hold fast holes once I get a bit of free time. Its hard to think I am going to drill in to the top of this maple bench.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Its hard to think I am going to drill in to the top of this maple bench.

That top sure looks nice r-ice. Very nice maple board. Did you saw that board from a tree?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The last several days it seems like it has been my computer. Lots of estimates and billings going out.

Otherwise it is my truck or cell phone, I do not swing a hammer as much as I used to and find them the tools I use the most.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Same with me computer for the last few weeks just pumping out estimates. I hope they come in….even a 3rd would be great.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@pi_woodworker I have tapes stashed all over the shop too – I only have two at the moment (lost/ broke the others) but it’s a must!

@r-ice I wouldn’t want to cut into that either! It’s looking really nice.

Charlie

Instagram

I would have to say it’s a couple actually
    The first one being my car / truck because without it, I probably won’t be working
    Then it’s definitely my digital laser measure, or trustful tape measure and pad and pencil

Radio is right up there,
    Then it’s all depending on what type of work I’m doing.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

@cmeyer25 I personally only use Stanley FatMax limited edition 30ft tapes.

Any of the regular FatMax 25-40ft are the same, but the limited edition 30ft is half the price. Great stand out, durable, and easy to read from a distance.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

This week it has been a paint brush. Oh how I’m ready to build something.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 1,007 total)
  • The topic ‘TOTD (tool of the day)’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.164 seconds