dcsimg

TOTD (tool of the day)

This topic contains 503 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 504 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

What’s the tool you’re using right now that’s making your life easier? Any brand, old or new – what job does it do and why is it making your life better? Pictures are always encouraged.

On this last project I was working on, I drug out this little skilsaw jig saw and I was loving it! The laser sucks, but the saw cuts well and the exhaust clears the cut line so it was working great for all the holes I needed to cut in the panels I was putting over light switches, outlets, emergency lights, and extinguisher housing.

Another little tool (only cost $20) was this little laser line with twin rare earth magnets on its back – I hung it off the lowest drywall screw in the wall, used the on board level to get it straight up and down, and I had the easiest time marking out all the studs.

Charlie

Instagram

What’s the tool you’re using right now that’s making your life easier? Any brand, old or new – what job does it do and why is it making your life better?

On this last project I was working on, I drug out this little skilsaw jig saw and I was loving it! The laser sucks, but the saw cuts well and the exhaust clears the cut line so it was working great for all the holes I needed to cut in the panels I was putting over ligth switches, outlets, emergency lights, and extinguisher housing.

Another little tool (only cost $20) was this little laser line with twin rare earth magnets on its back – I hung it off the lowest drywall screw in the wall, used the on board level to get it straight up and down, and I had the easier time marking out all the studs.

Not quite a tool but my big beefy workbench that holds everything tight in place and lets me get the job done better than I ever could have with my old door-on-sawhorses workbench, or the first prototype I built out of 2X

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

My VIT changes from day to day, depending on the job I’m doing. I really don’t think I could name any one tool as most important, I can’t think of any I don’t need ,

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

What’s the tool you’re using right now that’s making your life easier? Any brand, old or new – what job does it do and why is it making your life better?

On this last project I was working on, I drug out this little skilsaw jig saw and I was loving it! The laser sucks, but the saw cuts well and the exhaust clears the cut line so it was working great for all the holes I needed to cut in the panels I was putting over ligth switches, outlets, emergency lights, and extinguisher housing.

Another little tool (only cost $20) was this little laser line with twin rare earth magnets on its back – I hung it off the lowest drywall screw in the wall, used the on board level to get it straight up and down, and I had the easier time marking out all the studs.

Not quite a tool but my big beefy workbench that holds everything tight in place and lets me get the job done better than I ever could have with my old door-on-sawhorses workbench, or the first prototype I built out of 2X

yah in the shop it’ll have ot be my massive solid maple workbench, after I built it last year, i’ve used it for every single project I’ve done so far.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

My VIT changes from day to day, depending on the job I’m doing. I really don’t think I could name any one tool as most important, I can’t think of any I don’t need ,

Brian is right. Hard for me to pick one or two tools that are most important everyday. The list would change most days.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@ronw @brianpeters don’t worry about picking the best of all your tools – I’m the same way (and I’m sure most of us are) – the tools depends on the job. That’s why I was saying to just showcase a tool here. It’s more for letting everyone see any good tool that works well for whatever project you have going currently. My examples were good illustrations of that. I rarely use that jig saw, but for that particular project it was indispensable! Also, like every other good thread – let’s post pictures!

@montreal_medic @r-ice I’d love to see your work benches. Mine is pretty funny looking, but definitely unique and it also does a ton of work in my shop.

Charlie

Instagram

@ronw @brianpeters don’t worry about picking the best of all your tools – I’m the same way (and I’m sure most of us are) – the tools depends on the job. That’s why I was saying to just showcase a tool here. It’s more for letting everyone see any good tool that works well for whatever project you have going currently. My examples were good illustrations of that. I rarely use that jig saw, but for that particular project it was indispensable! Also, like every other good thread – let’s post pictures!

@montreal_medic @r-ice I’d love to see your work benches. Mine is pretty funny looking, but definitely unique and it also does a ton of work in my shop.

An older shot – its pretty scuffed up now

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I would say extension chord. Use it for power tools, compressor, radio, battery charger, etc.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@montreal_medic that’s a nice looking bench. Did you make it off a plan or was it your own creation? And what wood did you end up using?

Charlie

Instagram

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

well based on my leg injry and only being allowed to bear 25% bodyweight on the leg.. crutches stinking crutches although with ice and snow on the ground ever few days it doesnt help

Clev08
    Pro

my shop would be a huge mess without by 46″ Milwaukee Storage Chest. If I didn’t have it my shop would be too messy to do anything. My Bosch 12″ Glide miter saw is a very close second.

@montreal_medic that’s a nice looking bench. Did you make it off a plan or was it your own creation? And what wood did you end up using?

I was inspired from the benchcrafted split top roubo, but heavily modified for my needs

Its much shorter since I am space constrained, so I made the legs twice as beefy to keep the weight high

Made of birch, except for the walnut stripes in the legs and on the leg vise

Does a radio counts as a tool? I just don’t like working without some beats in the background. I remember the days when I had an old radio, plug-in or feed by some large D batteries, which don’t last that long. Nowadays you have the cordless radios which run on our powertool batteries all day long even for several days. On my hand it’s the PB180 and the PB360S

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@montreal_medic that’s a sweet bench. I like how you added weight to the legs to keep up the bulk with a smaller top. Looks like you sunk a bit of cash into that thing, but if you use it every day, it seems like a worth while investment!

@madman_us yeah! Radios make working all day that much more enjoyable. I know lots of people on here love their PB360 especially 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

@montreal_medic that’s a sweet bench. I like how you added weight to the legs to keep up the bulk with a smaller top. Looks like you sunk a bit of cash into that thing, but if you use it every day, it seems like a worth while investment!

@madman_us yeah! Radios make working all day that much more enjoyable. I know lots of people on here love their PB360 especially 🙂

Thanks, but it was a very inexpensive bench to build. The wood was gifted to me by my FIL who wholesales hardwood

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@montreal_medic that makes it even better! Nice of your FIL, that is a great gift!

Charlie

Instagram

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thanks, but it was a very inexpensive bench to build. The wood was gifted to me by my FIL who wholesales hardwood

That’s a good FIL to have!

That’s a good FIL to have!

In more ways than one. He’s a great guy.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I would say it changes day to day but if I had to choose one tool that really fits the bill I would have to say my OMT. The versatility of the OMT makes it a great fit a wide array of tasks.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Man, I think this would need to be a top ten list list to do it justice. And it would also be different for tools I covet doing renos/construction, versus working in the shop.

Kevin.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 504 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 4.433 seconds