dcsimg

Vise Replacement Jaw Plates

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have my Grandpa’s old vise and would like clean it up and use it. But both jaw plates are broke. I really have looked at it much since I got it home. I have been trying find some Replacement Jaw Plates for it. I am just wonder jaw plates from one 6 inch vise fit another 6 inch vise?

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I am just wonder jaw plates from one 6 inch vise fit another 6 inch vise?

No/yes/maybe. You would have to match a new set up. L/W of pad and screw hole location/spread. You can get magnetic replacement pads, or depending on use, make a set from wood or cut a chunk of the wifes phenolic cutting board off and make a set from that.

I’d go with wood. A soft wood like cedar or pine. Nice to have a bit of give while still being grippy

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am just wonder jaw plates from one 6 inch vise fit another 6 inch vise?

No/yes/maybe. You would have to match a new set up. L/W of pad and screw hole location/spread. You can get magnetic replacement pads, or depending on use, make a set from wood or cut a chunk of the wifes phenolic cutting board off and make a set from that.

This what I thought. I also thought maybe there was standard size pads. I didn’t know about magnetic pads. I will have to check them out. I have thought about making a set out of wood. I was planning on using this vice for metal type work. I don’t need it for woodworking.

I’d go with wood. A soft wood like cedar or pine. Nice to have a bit of give while still being grippy

I was planning on using this for metal use. So I would think pine & cedar would be a way to soft.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

You might find a proper answer or actual source for that parts issue on a vintages tools forum.

I know of this sub forum on the Canadian Woodworking site….

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/tools/hand-tools/vintage-hand-tools

May be the best place for you to start as you are in Canada.

But there are other ones out there. Some forum on the internet deals with nothing but vintage stuff, but I can’t recall what it is called. Shouldn’t be too hard to find.

Good luck Greg!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have my Grandpa’s old vise and would like clean it up and use it. But both jaw plates are broke. I really have looked at it much since I got it home. I have been trying find some Replacement Jaw Plates for it. I am just wonder jaw plates from one 6 inch vise fit another 6 inch vise?

Nice big vise,
    First will it be a general duty,
    Or will you use it for primarily wood?
    We usually change them out at work, just because the typical jaw would mar our pieces,
    We have used nylon block, or aluminum flat bar stock, cut them to length we need, then drill and countersink them.

The stock we use is 3/4 wide by 1/2 inch, but it depends on you.

I will take some pictures and add them to this post.

Here you go, they are banged up, and slightly modified, but easily replaceable.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

We have used nylon block, or aluminum flat bar stock, cut them to length we need, then drill and countersink them.

Now that sounds simple enough.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

You might find a proper answer or actual source for that parts issue on a vintages tools forum.

I know of this sub forum on the Canadian Woodworking site….

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/tools/hand-tools/vintage-hand-tools

May be the best place for you to start as you are in Canada.

But there are other ones out there. Some forum on the internet deals with nothing but vintage stuff, but I can’t recall what it is called. Shouldn’t be too hard to find.

Good luck Greg!

Thanks for the info Kevin.

Nice big vise,
    First will it be a general duty,
    Or will you use it for primarily wood?
    We usually change them out at work, just because the typical jaw would mar our pieces,

I will take some pictures and add them to this post.

Here you go, they are banged up, and slightly modified, but easily replaceable.

I would like to use for General Duty. I don’t plan on for wood. This may change later on.

I like the idea of aluminum flat bar stock. I may try this. I also have a piece of plastic from the boards of arena. This might work too. Thanks Brian for tips & pictures.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@gtokley no problem, it’s fast easy, and easily changing, the other option is just a thin piece of aluminum say. 30 thousand thick, just bent over the metal jaw,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@gtokley no problem, it’s fast easy, and easily changing, the other option is just a thin piece of aluminum say. 30 thousand thick, just bent over the metal jaw,

Yes it seems fast and easy. It looks like it would be easy change. I probably would have change them all that much. I remember your other option.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.778 seconds