dcsimg

Vinyl Window replacement job

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

On the latest kitchen remodel we had to raise the three window’s to be able to have space between the counter height and backsplash from window trim . The old ones landed at 34” high of the flooring . Installed Anderson 200 series new construction window’s . It wasn’t hard at all
    Since the exterior had vinyl siding so it makes it pretty simple to patch in for the new sized windows .

Always willing to learn .

CB
    Spectator

What brand of flashing tape is that?

Not one I’ve used before, so I don’t recognize the markings.

Doobie

Looks good Bill! 👍

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I am about to start on 4 of them. I will try to remember to take photo’s. I do plan on having the video rolling though.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

This is what I used picked it up from Home Depot .

CB
    Spectator

Thanks for answering so completely, with photo of product label, location where purchased, and even pricing.

I maintain an interest in the various self adhering flashing tapes available, as new ones have continually entered into the marketplace over the last 20 years. I don’t normally get materials from Home Depot, but I do recognize and am somewhat familiar with the Protecto Wrap name.

Because of known and well established chemical incompatibilities between the adhesive substrates (ie, butyl or asphaltic, and in the case of the specific ProtectoWrap product above, a hybrid of both… which means the BT25 has all the issues inherent with asphaltic), and the chemical formulation of the vinyl of the window nail flange (plasticized or non/un plasticized polyvinyl chloride)… as well as the WRB (in this case Tyvek)… BT25 would probably not be on my list of choices for flashing tape.

Fortunately in your case, the Anderson 200 Series double hung rectangular windows have a rigid nail flange made of a non plasticized PVC… so the asphaltic component in the BT25 will not chemically degrade the nail fin… like it would on Anderson 400 series vinyl clad windows where a portion of the nail fin is plasticized for flexibility… especially for radius arched windows.

Unfortunately, the compatibility of the BT25 with Tyvek could be an issue, unless an adhesion primer was applied to the wrb first. Dupont obviously sells their own products that are certified to be chemically compatible without need for any primer. The Tyvek tape uses an acrylic based adhesive, and the Dupont FlexWrap and StraightFlash self adhering flashing products have a 100% butyl substrate.

ProtectoWrap also offers a 100% butyl flashing tape, but that product is not sold at Home Depot. It is about 33% more expensive than the flashing tape that is hybridzed with asphalt to reduce cost, but still be able to say “butyl” in the product description (without saying “asphalt”, which would likely turn some buyers away).

I called ProtectoWrap to confirm that the hybridization was indeed with ashpalt, but the clue was already self evident in ProtectoWrap’s technical letter of compatibility, where ProtectoWrap cautioned against using the BT25 product with certain vinyl windows, recommending that the window manufacturer be consulted on the chemical makeup of the vinyl before applying. Your good there though.

It is with the Tyvek where the big question arises. Since Dupont does not use or recommend asphalt based flashing tapes with their house wrap, and indeed since Dupont makes valid arguments against asphaltic based flashing tapes directly applied to substrates (OSB, wood) as hurricane flashing for wall penetrations underneath house wraps… I would not be inclined to use an asphalt based (or partly based) flashtape with Tyvek either.

Thanks for answering so completely, with photo of product label, location where purchased, and even pricing.

I maintain an interest in the various self adhering flashing tapes available, as new ones have continually entered into the marketplace over the last 20 years. I don’t normally get materials from Home Depot, but I do recognize and am somewhat familiar with the Protecto Wrap name.

Because of known and well established chemical incompatibilities between the adhesive substrates (ie, butyl or asphaltic, and in the case of the specific ProtectoWrap product above, a hybrid of both… which means the BT25 has all the issues inherent with asphaltic), and the chemical formulation of the vinyl of the window nail flange (plasticized or non/un plasticized polyvinyl chloride)… as well as the WRB (in this case Tyvek)… BT25 would probably not be on my list of choices for flashing tape.

Fortunately in your case, the Anderson 200 Series double hung rectangular windows have a rigid nail flange made of a non plasticized PVC… so the asphaltic component in the BT25 will not chemically degrade the nail fin… like it would on Anderson 400 series vinyl clad windows where a portion of the nail fin is plasticized for flexibility… especially for radius arched windows.

Unfortunately, the compatibility of the BT25 with Tyvek could be an issue, unless an adhesion primer was applied to the wrb first. Dupont obviously sells their own products that are certified to be chemically compatible without need for any primer. The Tyvek tape uses an acrylic based adhesive, and the Dupont FlexWrap and StraightFlash self adhering flashing products have a 100% butyl substrate.

ProtectoWrap also offers a 100% butyl flashing tape, but that product is not sold at Home Depot. It is about 33% more expensive than the flashing tape that is hybridzed with asphalt to reduce cost, but still be able to say “butyl” in the product description (without saying “asphalt”, which would likely turn some buyers away).

I called ProtectoWrap to confirm that the hybridization was indeed with ashpalt, but the clue was already self evident in ProtectoWrap’s technical letter of compatibility, where ProtectoWrap cautioned against using the BT25 product with certain vinyl windows, recommending that the window manufacturer be consulted on the chemical makeup of the vinyl before applying. Your good there though.

It is with the Tyvek where the big question arises. Since Dupont does not use or recommend asphalt based flashing tapes with their house wrap, and indeed since Dupont makes valid arguments against asphaltic based flashing tapes directly applied to substrates (OSB, wood) as hurricane flashing for wall penetrations underneath house wraps… I would not be inclined to use an asphalt based (or partly based) flashtape with Tyvek either.

Very good reading and thanks for sharing all that with us . Learned some new stuff today .

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I too, learned something new today.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Me too, Thank you for the explanation.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Me too, Thank you for the explanation.

Same here , I’ve been lurking in the background , I have the basics of installing Windows. But didn’t know some of those different things
    Thanks interesting read

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.280 seconds