dcsimg

Very loud GLI18v light

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

A loud light? Yep. Bought the big 18v light a few days ago, and the low mode is LOUD, the buzzing noise is so bad that I can literally hear it from the next room, thought somebody accidentally wired a speaker in there.

The replacement from retailer arrived today, it’s better but still loud relatively speaking. The 12v light doesn’t do this on low mode, and my Ridgid panel light is quiet enough that I have to put my ear up to it to hear the buzzing on low.

Is this how they are or am I just stuck with a bad batch?

I took a video showing how loud it is, headphone users beware.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Yep, that’s annoyingly loud.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

From what I read online, people has been complaining about it for years, a review on Bosch’s website mentions this over 3 years ago. Have to say I’m quite disappointed with the inaction, especially when so many competitors doesn’t have this problem.

FWIW the problem is quite simple and cheap to fix, the buzzing sound is from inductor coil on the voltage regulation circuit vibrating, which can easily stopped by potting it in epoxy.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have tow of the lights and have never noticed it, but I do not think I have used them in the low mode. I am not sure if I even knew they had a low mode. Now I will have to look at it and see.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I have tow of the lights and have never noticed it, but I do not think I have used them in the low mode. I am not sure if I even knew they had a low mode. Now I will have to look at it and see.

Yeah it only happens in low mode, they all do but the GLI is just unbearably loud.

A loud light? Yep. Bought the big 18v light a few days ago, and the low mode is LOUD, the buzzing noise is so bad that I can literally hear it from the next room, thought somebody accidentally wired a speaker in there.

The replacement from retailer arrived today, it’s better but still loud relatively speaking. The 12v light doesn’t do this on low mode, and my Ridgid panel light is quiet enough that I have to put my ear up to it to hear the buzzing on low.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe title=”Light noise” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/gaxirvMExLI?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Hey good to hear from you , unfortunately I’d rather hear good news than this ,

It’s definitely annoying , I have one of those lights , I have never had any issues , I wonder if it has anything to do with the heatsink inside the lights.

Please let us know if you either get it fixed by Bosch or figure something else out.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I just went and looked at mine. I never realized it had a low mode, but when I figured out how to switch it into the low mode, the hum was there. It kind of sounds like the old emergency alert out he television, but not quite as loud.

I don’t think I will be using the light in the low mode unless absolutely necessary.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never really noticed it but I guess the humming fluorescent lights in my shop as well as noises from my other tools drown it out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

It’s definitely annoying , I have one of those lights , I have never had any issues , I wonder if it has anything to do with the heatsink inside the lights.

Please let us know if you either get it fixed by Bosch or figure something else out.

Ha, been a while eh? Just finished my electrician course and looking for an apprenticeship in the middle of this pandemic, fun times lol.

Amazon sent me a replacement and it’s less loud, I really couldn’t be bothered to spend half a day going to their warranty center to get it checked out and another half day to pick it up. Anyway the warranty is 3 years so if I still can’t stand it I’ll do it later.

Ha, been a while eh? Just finished my electrician course and looking for an apprenticeship in the middle of this pandemic, fun times lol.

Amazon sent me a replacement and it’s less loud, I really couldn’t be bothered to spend half a day going to their warranty center to get it checked out and another half day to pick it up. Anyway the warranty is 3 years so if I still can’t stand it I’ll do it later.

Oh nice , congratulations on your course , this is for an electrician , or an electronic technician , hope you find something , send in a request at my place I work at
    Pm me and I’ll send you the info

Yeah it’s time consuming some times
    To bring back the light for repairs.

When I had to send mine to the Bosch service center they gave me a 3rd party form , I didn’t have to pay anything , then they just sent it back to my house after the repair.

Edit I just saw it’s for a electrician 👍

Doobie

Yeah it only happens in low mode, they all do but the GLI is just unbearably loud.

Could it be that you have ears that hear this that others don’t Jie?

I just tried both of mine in low mode, and while there is a very faint ‘sizzly’ sound in low mode versus its high mode that emits no real sound at all, unless I was zipped up in a sleeping bag with it on in low mode, I can’t say it’s loud or bothersome.

I even tested this with two five tube each ceiling flourescent fixtures running nearby that were on. Neither performed any different. I acquired both of mine within 6 months when they first came out.

Nice to see you post @jzmtl!

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe title=”Light noise” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/gaxirvMExLI?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Wow that is annoying. Is the 18V 1900 led light? If so I have this light and recall my light doing this on low. I don’t on low very much.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice to see you back, good luck with the job hunting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just tried both of mine in low mode, and while there is a very faint ‘sizzly’ sound in low mode versus its high mode that emits no real sound at all, unless I was zipped up in a sleeping bag with it on in low mode, I can’t say it’s loud or bothersome.

I even tested this with two five tube each ceiling flourescent fixtures running nearby that were on. Neither performed any different. I acquired both of mine within 6 months when they first came out.

I just tried mine as well , I left it on low for about 1/2 and can barely hear that humming or buzzing , I also got mine from the prize list when it came out , I wonder if it has something to do with the Amazon seller 🤷‍♂️

Doobie

I just tried mine as well , I left it on low for about 1/2 and can barely hear that humming or buzzing , I also got mine from the prize list when it came out , I wonder if it has something to do with the Amazon seller 🤷‍♂️

Mine were not redemptions. First one was a pre-order bought from an online retailer and the second one was an add-on freebie to some other Bosch tool from another retailer within 6 months or so of getting the first one.

Mine were not redemptions. First one was a pre-order bought from an online retailer and the second one was an add-on freebie to some other Bosch tool from another retailer within 6 months or so of getting the first one.

Oh ok , that sounds good though , actually just trying it again because we’ve been having thunderstorms and lost power for 8 seconds , so I placed all my lights around the house , I put it on low again for a few minutes , if i put my ear close to it , I can hear that buzz/hum mine seams more like a whine but extremely low , I mean if it was in another room , or even say 6 feet away , I most definitely will not hear it

I personally think it has something to do with these heatsinks that are in the led lights 🤷‍♂️

I’m also using the unilite I got when I bought my tool crate box , that’s a great light , what I really like is the fact when it’s plugged in charging , if we loose power , it automatically goes on , it’s a pretty cool light , it’s the 1250 lumens from unilite

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.421 seconds