dcsimg

Vehicle Jacks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am sure everyone has at one time or another changed a tire. I have a jack for the car but i am looking for one for the truck. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand that is lightweight and i can keep in the truck.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

What happened to the jack that came with the truck? Sure it’s not going to be the best out there, but for occasional use, it should be fine. If not, I’d get a floor jack….hard to beat one.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I like bottle jacks, a bit heavy, but nice and compact and work better than the annoying scissor jacks in used to seeing. My transit actually came with its own bottle jack which was nice.

Yeah pretty sure every vehicle comes with a jack to work with that vehicle. Otherwise a nice floor jack is good to have at the shop.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have zero room in the truck to travel with another jack. The one the truck came with in under the seat. It absolutely amazes me the dealer provides you with a little bottle jack that barely extends high enough to get the truck off the ground.

I picked a new floor jack from horrible freight for around $80. is nice.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

So it seems like you already knew your truck came with a jack, and that those installed standard on cars and trucks sorta suck to use. For a floor jack that you’ll be keeping in the truck, anything that is tall enough to lift your truck should work fine. I have a buddy who carries a Craftsman floor jack in his truck always, and it seems to work fine for him. Harbor Freight also does a good enough job with their jacks, and they’re cheap and lightweight (two characteristics that often go hand-in-hand with tools…), but they’ll get the job done. Some may say that it’s a waste to carry a floor jack around with you in the truck, but you’ll be glad you have it when you need to use it!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Hi-Lift jacks come highly recommended in 4×4 circles. They not only jack a much greater distance, but can be reversed to act as a spreader, or a fence puller. They are a bumper type jack, so if you have plastic cladding over the bumper, not much use, go for a bottle jack. A rolling floor jack would be easier, but takes more space to cart around with you.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I just use the one that came with the truck, I do carry a 8 ton bottle jack in my trailer though. I miss the days of having a bumper jack in the truck…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Bottle jacks are great, we usually have them any way in case we have to jack up an old house.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

AutoTalk.com

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just have my son come out and pick it up and I put a stand under the van.

Dirty

First, why do you want to keep another jack in the truck. Doesn’t the one that comes with the truck work?
    I just keep an extra socket and 24 inch breaker bar in each car just in case, actually in the 6 years I have been doing this, I never once needed them,

As for home I use a 3 ton jack I bought from Costco, lifts the font end or back end completely with no problems.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Bottle jacks are easy to store, they fit anywhere. A regular hydraulic jack is easy to use just slide it under and you are ready to go but they take up too much space. ACDelco used to make a regular jack that came in a blow molded case that stores easy enough.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

That is one stout young man Dirty.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

lol but if you don’t have one of those handy, a bottle jack is my favourite alternative.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am sure everyone has at one time or another changed a tire. I have a jack for the car but i am looking for one for the truck. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand that is lightweight and i can keep in the truck.

Why not just go to our local junk yard and pick up the OME jack the fits in the jack spot?

Dirty

Clev08
    Pro

I would go with a bottle jack, they are faster than a scissor jack and smaller than a floor jack. My dad has a really old jet that still works great.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hi-Lift jacks come highly recommended in 4×4 circles. They not only jack a much greater distance, but can be reversed to act as a spreader, or a fence puller. They are a bumper type jack, so if you have plastic cladding over the bumper, not much use, go for a bottle jack. A rolling floor jack would be easier, but takes more space to cart around with you.

i just saw that, and it is what prompted me to ask this question to see if anyone uses any other jacks. THe one that came with the truck isn’t the best, i was thinking of checking out the hi lift jack or perhaps another floor jack that i can place under the rear seat. Its for those just incase if i am in crappy roads and the tire goes pop.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

i just saw that, and it is what prompted me to ask this question to see if anyone uses any other jacks. THe one that came with the truck isn’t the best, i was thinking of checking out the hi lift jack or perhaps another floor jack that i can place under the rear seat. Its for those just incase if i am in crappy roads and the tire goes pop.

Hi Lift jacks are great, especially if you’re on uneven ground and the little OEM bottle jack wont help ya.

I had one when I had my lifted XJ, too bad I let it go with it when I sold it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hi Lift jacks are great, especially if you’re on uneven ground and the little OEM bottle jack wont help ya.

I had one when I had my lifted XJ, too bad I let it go with it when I sold it.

seriously i didn’t even know you had one. I was also looking at this to serve double duty to pick up an end of a log so i can slip something underneath to stabilize it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.426 seconds