dcsimg

vapour barrier on basement concrete floor

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I saw on instagram today they put spray foam down before they pored in a basement for vapor barrier.

I saw on instagram today they put spray foam down before they pored in a basement for vapor barrier.

They say it helps with doing away with the vapor barrier and foam board being broken during working processs and seem tape breaking .

Always willing to learn .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

They say it helps with doing away with the vapor barrier and foam board being broken during working processs and seem tape breaking .

Makes sense especially if using closed cell. That stuff is pretty tough and yu would have to worry about it breaking apart when walked on or pouring concrete like foam board.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Makes sense especially if using closed cell. That stuff is pretty tough and yu would have to worry about it breaking apart when walked on or pouring concrete like foam board.

When I had my garage slab poured the crete company advised against any barrier under it.

When I did my basement I chose rolls of Delta-FL & full sheets of OSB over using 2×2 prefab. In the long run it was more cost effective.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I guess it depends on your soil moisture. None of my garage floors have vapor barriers underneath and I have no moisture problems.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

WE did a slabo on grade house and used spray foam on the soil under the floor. We held the subgrade down about 8″ and graded it close with a machine then sprayed the foam on it. We then stapled tubing to it for infloor heat and covered it with a couple inches of sand. The extra sand protects the tubing and alsoincreases the size of the heat sink for the floor. an even greater amount of sand would make the heat sink better. The closed cell foam is also a great vapor barrier.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

To properly determine if you have a vapor issue in your basement, tape down some foil to the slab. If after a day or two you have moisture under the foil, you have vapor coming through your slab. If you have moisture on top of the foil, you have a humidity issue in the house. I would not put a vapor barrier under the pad regardless. They make basement grade carpet pad that is meant for higher moisture areas. If you have moisture mitagating through the slab, a specialty sealer may be required to alleviate that.

This is a great tip with the foil. Thanks Andrew

A Working Pro since 2004

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

To properly determine if you have a vapor issue in your basement, tape down some foil to the slab. If after a day or two you have moisture under the foil, you have vapor coming through your slab. If you have moisture on top of the foil, you have a humidity issue in the house. I would not put a vapor barrier under the pad regardless. They make basement grade carpet pad that is meant for higher moisture areas. If you have moisture mitagating through the slab, a specialty sealer may be required to alleviate that.

Clear plastic works well also and you do not have to remove it or open it up to check it. We did this when checknin moisture to install flooring in a lot of retail stores.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Clear plastic works well also and you do not have to remove it or open it up to check it. We did this when checknin moisture to install flooring in a lot of retail stores.

I’ve done the plastic method before but have not heard of the foil.

I’n my area the water table is quite high. When I relocated some of my sewer drains, the water rose to about 3″ just below the slab.
    My neighbours table is higher as his was level with the slab when he did some work.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

1-Step is a great product for basement floors, once laid it not only creates a vapor barrier and it also allows for trickle air flow under the product.

Here is my thread on it … http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/1-step-for-flooring/

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

It’s comes down to cost also for the project so budget . I would like to try it out on one project some day .

Always willing to learn .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

To properly determine if you have a vapor issue in your basement, tape down some foil to the slab. If after a day or two you have moisture under the foil, you have vapor coming through your slab.

Thank you Andrew, I need to check my slabs.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

1-Step is a great product for basement floors, once laid it not only creates a vapor barrier and it also allows for trickle air flow under the product.

Here is my thread on it … http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/1-step-for-flooring/

I think this is the way to go, I don’t think I would put any moisture barrier right onto the concrete,
    I would either use the dry core sub floor, or the 1step, this way any moisture would be able to disburse, and have a dehumidifier installed, with a permanent drain,

Doobie

So what did you end up doing @Boschmanbrian?

Stilla
    Pro

My employer has used closed cell foam under the slab. It is sprayed so that the foam is carried up onto the foundation walls a few feet. We have also used sleepers a top of a slap and used closed cell foam between the sleepers, then laid a typical plywood sub floor. It makes for a rock hard surface for hardwood floors. We used that application for a basketball court in one homes basement. The ball bounced like it was on the slab. Although now that i think about it we used a installed 2 subfloors, 1 with an aluminum cladded face, it was a warm floor system.

Image result for aluminum cladded plywood , warm floor system.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.495 seconds