dcsimg

vapour barrier on basement concrete floor

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    trayfe
    Pro

should you put vapour barrier under the carpet pad, or will it trap moisture? Also, is it ok to use a rubber pad, and if not what kind is best? I live in Canada so cold and humidity a problem, although the basement is dry.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Betty, I have never put a vapor barrier under carpet in a basement. we typically put one under the concrete. you sould put a sealer on the concrete to prevent moisture from moving through it or use a product like the one shown in the link below. it will allow you to vent the floor to remove moisture.

http://www.dricore.com/en/homeowner.aspx

if you are looking for a warmer floor and still the ability to remove moisture from below the floor this may work. they are not cheap but both will give you a warmer and drier feel than carpet on concrete.

http://amdryisf.com/?gclid=CPj625iSyrwCFcY-Mgod7GEAfg

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I second Kurt’s recommendation. Vapor barrier is a no, and I highly recommend the DriCore solution, it makes for a much warmer floor that will be well insulated from the cold concrete while still allowing it to breath. If not you could go with a thicker padding but it won’t be as effective as the DriCore.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Dricore is the way to go. I have done it on two homes now and highly recommend it.

Here it is going down in a basement in Saskatoon. It has reduced our heating, is more comfortable and should help with any moisture issues. (it doesn’t solve moisture issues, but it allows moisture to move out of the floor if you have any)

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I wouldn’t use a vapor barrier because it will trap moisture. For the pad I would use an open cell foam (preferably with an odor guard – it should say so on the pad) as opposed to a rubber pad. A rubber pad is essentially a vapor barrier and will trap moisture. Or you could use a dricore underlayment as mentioned above, this will completely separate the carpet from any moisture.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

That is some pretty neat stuff. My in laws are about to do their basement, what is the price per sq on those?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I was ever to redo mine I really think I would go with that heated floor system that was brought up a while back in another thread. Can’t remember what it’s called now but ya put down like 1′ squares and run the electric heating element between them. Someone in here might know and post what they are.

Is Dricore just for cement floors? Or areas that might have moisture?

Orange County, CA

Dricore is the way to go. I have done it on two homes now and highly recommend it.

Here it is going down in a basement in Saskatoon. It has reduced our heating, is more comfortable and should help with any moisture issues. (it doesn’t solve moisture issues, but it allows moisture to move out of the floor if you have any)

Ive always wanted to try that stuff. When we raise floors we do our typical barrier/sleepers/subfloor.

Is it a pain to put down since they come in 2×2 sheets?

keko
    Pro

if your house was built sometime after 1990 there should be a vapor barrier under the concrete use a good padding under the carpet made for basements and you should be fine besides if any kind of moisture problem don’t carpet the floor dricore is great product but most people don’t want to pay for it

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Sorry, I never got back on the dricore. I didn’t hit the email button.

It’s easy to install, but you need to make sure it’s square. It’s been great this spring. Cost was about $1.75sq/ft so not cheap, but not crazy $$$

And as I stated before it doesn’t solve water issues, it hides them and lets your carpet not get ruined.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

There are 2 kinds. One has plastic dimples over OSB T&G, The other is foam over OSB T&G.

2×2 sheets are easier to move in and around a basement.

To properly determine if you have a vapor issue in your basement, tape down some foil to the slab. If after a day or two you have moisture under the foil, you have vapor coming through your slab. If you have moisture on top of the foil, you have a humidity issue in the house. I would not put a vapor barrier under the pad regardless. They make basement grade carpet pad that is meant for higher moisture areas. If you have moisture mitagating through the slab, a specialty sealer may be required to alleviate that.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Ok I was thinking of vapor barrier between concert and padding for carpet. I see the consensus is no.
    Whats the difference between this application and vapor barrier for laminate flooring

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Either vapor barrier will trap condensation and lead to mold problems..

Laminate is usually a bad idea in a basement. It doesn’t handle moisture very well

There are some vinyl planks that might be an option

--Steve

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Either vapor barrier will trap condensation and lead to mold problems..

Laminate is usually a bad idea in a basement. It doesn’t handle moisture very well

There are some vinyl planks that might be an option

Yep, I would never go with a laminate in a basement, It doesn’t take much water to wreck it. I’ve been hearing a lot of great reviews of the vinyl plank, I think it’s a smart way to go. Any time I do use laminate I will switch to a tile around entries / exits that might have some pooling water, etc. You don’t need to be as careful with a real wood (solid or engineered)

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The OP seems to made one post and never came back?

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

The OP seems to made one post and never came back?

I saw the follow up question, and thought that was him…

Ok I was thinking of vapor barrier between concert and padding for carpet. I see the consensus is no.<br>
    Whats the difference between this application and vapor barrier for laminate flooring

--Steve

Yeah. Agree with TimelessQuality.

Only thing that came close to a vapor barrier is I put down foam pad material in rolls under a laminate floating floor product .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.350 seconds