dcsimg

Vacuum Clamps

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

I think that most of the tasks they performed would have been faster and simpler with a wood vise. I have seen something similar for doing wood sculpting.
    Not on my wish list.

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

This type of clamp would be best suited in a production type of shop. Or someone who has money to spend on neat toys lol

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm has some other options and links for making a cheaper setup. I’ve been looking at their setups, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet!

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

That is a great website for making your own vacuum press for veneers. Wonder if their is a similar website for making your own vacuum clamp?

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

That is a great website for making your own vacuum press for veneers. Wonder if their is a similar website for making your own vacuum clamp?

If you look on the site I believe there are some links. If not, search YouTube. I found some videos and there’s a couple places out there that sell the specific type of plastic blocks and sealant tape you need. I’m on my phone right now. I’ll try to post links later.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Here’s more info from the site that talks about making your own clamps. At the bottom of the page it gives another option (Podz) if you Dont want to make your own.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/vacuumclamping.htm

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Here’s another. This guy has a few videos on making your own clamping jigs if you search his list.

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

Hmm very interesting. I have a few vacuum pumps around here … might have to try this out!

I think it would work well for certain applications. Being able to sand, route and saw with no clamps getting in the way would be huge for me. It would be great for holding doors on edge for mortising and cutting back-bevels and all kinds of applications. I think this will be one of the next things I explore adding in my shop.

Orange County, CA

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Definently an interesting thread going on here! I have no reason for those clamps besides messing around with them. They look neat but I have to agree with the thought that they are probably really great in a production shop

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Man these things are super cool. I’ve seen them before but am still impressed every time I look back at them. I understand how they work, but it still is pretty crazy to see them do it. I hope the price comes down on these some day.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

If you do a search on YouTube (I can’t remember right now where I found it), one guy shows how to use them as a second helper. He shows how he uses his to hold up the other end of long crown moulding installations. It worked very well. And it would be cheaper than a second man, in this case, and more likely to show up on time everyday. And no back talk either!

It looks like they are available in the US but I cannot find them anywhere on the net.

Tool Home carries them — I know Tom and have ordered stuff from him in the past.

http://www.tool-home.com/products/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=schmalz&x=0&y=0

Also, he suggests Robinair pumps — the 6 CFM pump is less than $400 and a better pump according to Tom. So, a minimal setup will be around $600 – $625 or so. Adding a pump and the full set would be around a grand.

I guess I had never actually looked into Tom’s offerings of vacuum clamps but it is definitely nice to know there is an option for one available in the US currently (since the festool one isn’t). These are some pretty amazing clamps, and while it is not something I can justify now (or probably anytime soon), it is a really neat system.

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d like to try one of those. Looks pretty cool.

staker
    Pro

Neat idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.382 seconds