dcsimg

V9.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author

<P>yesterday i was in hd looking for the milwaukee tape measures in a 35 fter. they only carry 16 an 25 ft . but they did have two packs of 25 ft fatmax for $15 down from $30</P>

<P>Getting hard to find a 35 ft these days, I have not seen one in quite a while.</P>

<P>They had a Dewalt 35 footer on the clearance table for $40 at my HD a few days ago. I would have maybe bought it, but I’m not fond of Dewalt stuff unless I know it’s one of their better made items.</P>

<P>whats the best measuring tape out there right now. </P>

<P>One that doesn’t break after half a dozen drops. Not a lot of great ones imo. I bought a Milwaukee last year that I detest. Slightest wobble and it falls over. Just a bad design of the bottom part imo.</P>

<P>I was hoping there was a particular model and brand that stands out above the rest of them. I know I saw luftkin at Candian tire for sale but it wasn’t very durable looking and it was a plastic body. </P>

I have used the Luftkin brand for years , in my opinion , they are one of the best.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<P>yesterday i was in hd looking for the milwaukee tape measures in a 35 fter. they only carry 16 an 25 ft . but they did have two packs of 25 ft fatmax for $15 down from $30</P>

<P>Getting hard to find a 35 ft these days, I have not seen one in quite a while.</P>

<P>They had a Dewalt 35 footer on the clearance table for $40 at my HD a few days ago. I would have maybe bought it, but I’m not fond of Dewalt stuff unless I know it’s one of their better made items.</P>

<P>One that doesn’t break after half a dozen drops. Not a lot of great ones imo. I bought a Milwaukee last year that I detest. Slightest wobble and it falls over. Just a bad design of the bottom part imo.</P>

<P>I was hoping there was a particular model and brand that stands out above the rest of them. I know I saw luftkin at Candian tire for sale but it wasn’t very durable looking and it was a plastic body. </P>

I have used the Luftkin brand for years , in my opinion , they are one of the best.

well the one they sold at Canadian tire, didn’t seem very sturdy or good to use, perhaps its the lower end version so they can sell at Canadian tire

well the one they sold at Canadian tire, didn’t seem very sturdy or good to use, perhaps its the lower end version so they can sell at Canadian tire

Ah yes, you hit the nail on the head.
    Just because it’s plastic does not mean it’s cheaper, many tools are made from some sort of plastic.

Doobie

I have a couple of real old Lufkins that just won’t die. All metal. Haven’t bought one of their newer ones in maybe 15 years at least.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have a couple of real old Lufkins that just won’t die. All metal. Haven’t bought one of their newer ones in maybe 15 years at least.

I have never had great luck with Lufkin. As a framer, they just don’t hold up well when they get dirty or muddy.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

So how much does the Amp mean on the grinders I’m using/buying? Does a larger Amp rating relate into a more powerful tool? This Dewalt 5″ grinder I picked up for 99$ on sale minus my GC’s is a 12 amp. The Makita I use on site is 11 Amp or less. Any insight please? I’m thinking this will be a beast! Only issue so far is the weight on the sucker. Maybe that’s the “MAIN” issue.

A Working Pro since 2004

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Typically the greater the amp draw the more powerful a tool is. That said, I don’t think you will notice a great difference between 11 and 12 amps. That is only about 8 or 9 percent. I would think that you would see much more of a difference between a 5 and 7 amp tool which would be closer to 20 percent difference.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Typically the greater the amp draw the more powerful a tool is. That said, I don’t think you will notice a great difference between 11 and 12 amps. That is only about 8 or 9 percent. I would think that you would see much more of a difference between a 5 and 7 amp tool which would be closer to 20 percent difference.

Thanks Kurt! So, this should do the trick just has a lot of weight to it.

A Working Pro since 2004

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So how much does the Amp mean on the grinders I’m using/buying? Does a larger Amp rating relate into a more powerful tool? This Dewalt 5″ grinder I picked up for 99$ on sale minus my GC’s is a 12 amp. The Makita I use on site is 11 Amp or less. Any insight please? I’m thinking this will be a beast! Only issue so far is the weight on the sucker. Maybe that’s the “MAIN” issue.

Technically speaking, the amp rating is only the amount of power a motor Consumes. As a rating increases, so does the power….if all other factors remain constant. (Which never happens, btw). A motor that is more electrically efficient can produce the same amount of power at the blade/arbor/spindle/chuck…whatever as a higher amp tool that is less efficient.

The Makita motor in question is probably a 4 pole motor, which they commonly use, while the Dewalt is likely a traditional 2 pole. Without specific research, I venture to say that the Makita is actually more powerful while consuming less energy.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I have never had great luck with Lufkin. As a framer, they just don’t hold up well when they get dirty or muddy.

Same here. I have a Lufkin at the shop but for my go to tape it is still a 25′ or 30′ FatMax. I have tried Komeleon, Ace brand, Lufkin, Old school Stanleys, etc. Keep going back to good ol FatMax tapes. I love their 16′ for trim work.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Same here. I have a Lufkin at the shop but for my go to tape it is still a 25′ or 30′ FatMax. I have tried Komeleon, Ace brand, Lufkin, Old school Stanleys, etc. Keep going back to good ol FatMax tapes. I love their 16′ for trim work.

I’m really liking the new FatMax 16′ auto-lock for trim.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Last Christmas, I bout 10 of the Fat Max 25′ tapes. They had 2 packs for 19.99, so I figured why not? I have opened 6 of them, and they are all still going strong. Prior to that, I used a variety of everybody’s tapes. Stanley, Craftsman, Kobalt, Lufkin, etc.

That’s a deal for sure. I think I bought a few of those as well. I still have a new one sitting on my desk. Got a new home build we will be framing late fall so I am sure I will have a few wet tapes.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The Makita motor in question is probably a 4 pole motor, which they commonly use, while the Dewalt is likely a traditional 2 pole. Without specific research, I venture to say that the Makita is actually more powerful while consuming less energy.

That a good explanation. The tool with less amps will mean the breaker wouldn’t blow the break as soon.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Technically speaking, the amp rating is only the amount of power a motor Consumes. As a rating increases, so does the power….if all other factors remain constant. (Which never happens, btw). A motor that is more electrically efficient can produce the same amount of power at the blade/arbor/spindle/chuck…whatever as a higher amp tool that is less efficient.

so are there any other factors to look at to determine which one is better on the box?

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I got the Dewalt 20v jig saw on clearance at Home Depot. $109, plus I had a $15 off coupon, and used Gift cards that I purchased in order to get free gas.

I got the Dewalt 20v jig saw on clearance at Home Depot. $109, plus I had a $15 off coupon, and used Gift cards that I purchased in order to get free gas.

Sweet deal Warren!! I ordered some things today…pics soon..once it shows up.

Andrew

Doobie

So hearing all this talk about how difficult it is to find 35 ft tape measures, I went and took a look if that’s the case up here in Canada as well.

(I had taken another photo of another 35 footer but it is badly out of focus.)

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Finally got it, sent all the way from Vancouver instead of Toronto for some reason.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

dropped a little coin last night nothing special though.. just some new ratchet straps.. 4 pack of 10` 1000 lb straps reg $40 on for $25

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,005 total)
  • The topic ‘V9.0 Toolaholic Public Announcement Page’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.320 seconds