dcsimg

V2.0 CRITTERS AROUND THE JOB SITE

This topic contains 582 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 583 total)
  • Author

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Any suggestions?

Is it just camped out under your shed or does it have a hole under there ? Can you get under your shed ? @doobie

I’ve got a skunk that just made it’s home under my 10X20 shed on piers I’ve been building. I was wondering what animal was pooping beside it in a back corner outside the shed. Last week, I saw it come out and take a dump.

Other than the poop, it’s been OK so far. But I still would like to get rid of him/her. Any suggestions?

I read they don’t like light. I was thinking of maybe shoving a couple of light temporarily under the shed.

No, we can’t shoot things around here if anybody wants to suggest that.

Funny thing is, I almost killed it coming home late one nite about a month ago. Pretty sure it was him/her. Just as I was approaching my driveway, it darted out in front of me and I hit the brakes surely saving the little bugger. Car got sprayed and stunk for a couple of weeks, but nothing intolerable. Now I almost wish I didn’t have such quick reflexes, but killing things ain’t my thing generally. I don’t even like killing spiders and I really hate them, but if they’re in my house and not payin rent, they’re toast! Lol!

Seems to be a big year for skunks. Have one living under my patio too. Gotta scare it away without getting sprayed

Doobie
    Pro

Any suggestions?

Is it just camped out under your shed or does it have a hole under there ? Can you get under your shed ? @doobie

There’s very littleclearance under there. I built up dirt under it to get rid of excess dirt. I have no idea if it has a hole or just sits on the ground sleeping the daylight hours away.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@sprokitz oh man, sorry buddy, that’s funny,
    Dogs gotta love them.
    At least he’s very very very clean.
    I remember one summer I heard my neighbor yelling at his dog to come in to his house, to late, went outside and it stunk of skunk

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Seems to be a big year for skunks. Have one living under my patio too. Gotta scare it away without getting sprayed

That’s like playing with fire right there. Sooner or later if you don’t get rid of it, you will get burned.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Any suggestions?

I think you can get some fox urine, I believe that’s the skunks natural predators, spray or spread it around, hopefully that should work,
    Check your local nursery or you can order it online I think.
    Good luck

Doobie
    Pro

Any suggestions?

I think you can get some fox urine, I believe that’s the skunks natural predators, spray or spread it around, hopefully that should work,
    Good luck

Thanks. I’ll look into that.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@doobie are mothballs still around? I remember my Dad using flour on the ground of the edge of garage to see the tracks leaving and put tons of mothballs around the garage. Mothballs seemed to work.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie
    Pro

@doobie are mothballs still around? I remember my Dad using flour on the ground of the edge of garage to see the tracks leaving and put tons of mothballs around the garage. Mothballs seemed to work.

I’m sure mothballs can be found somewhere, I just don’t know where. I’d likely just throw them under the shed and see if it works.

From what I’ve read online, annoy them enough and the skunk will just simply look for a new home eventually.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

It appears some critters created me a new job site to work at.. my camper! Just electrocuted myself on my door handles while plugged into shore power, so I think some pesky critters got into the wiring somewhere causing it to ground to itself.

Pictures to follow when I find time to trace the power and find the issue.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’m sure mothballs can be found somewhere, I just don’t know where. I’d likely just throw them under the shed and see if it works.

From what I’ve read online, annoy them enough and the skunk will just simply look for a new home eventually.

Dollar stores around here have moth balls, and you would need a truck load if you plan to just toss them under the shed. Good luck getting your new pet to vacate, and hope it’s not female. If she had a litter, now’s about the time they will also be out and about. If you could get under there and see if it has a hole, it would be easy to evict or dispatch

I think some pesky critters got into the wiring somewhere causing it to ground to itself.

hmmmm, just saw on TV that some car manufacturers went “green” with their wire harnesses and that used to be plastic tubing that wires run through…… and now criiters are chewing up everything

Doobie
    Pro

Dollar stores around here have moth balls, and you would need a truck load if you plan to just toss them under the shed. Good luck getting your new pet to vacate, and hope it’s not female. If she had a litter, now’s about the time they will also be out and about. If you could get under there and see if it has a hole, it would be easy to evict or dispatch

So it sounds like moth balls are a waste of time then. And with that many moth balls, even if I got them for free, I would probably not be able to handle the stench myself as I will be working in and around that shed over the next few months myself.

There’s no way I can even try to see if has burroughed a hole or is just camped on top either. Like I said earlier, I pitched excess dirt underneath the within a few inches of the PT sub base.

At one point, I will be skirting it and digging down around the perimeter and burrying galv mesh where necessary. I figure a foot down should do, although I’m not sure if that’s enough.
    When I get to the last stretch I’ll probably arrange a one way door out and seal the next day when I know it hasn’t made it’s way back in. I have no idea if it’s a male or a female though and if it has a litter. I’m nowhere near doin that anyways right now. Maybe in the fall or next spring at the earliest.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It appears some critters created me a new job site to work at.. my camper!

Oh man that is enough to really tick you off. Grab the door handle and get shocked. Good luck fixing the damage and then getting rid of the problem.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Oh man that is enough to really tick you off. Grab the door handle and get shocked. Good luck fixing the damage and then getting rid of the problem.

That sucks, not enough work, now you gotta work on the camping trailer,

Good luck in finding the problem

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

The worst part of all is that my wife watched me for about 15 minutes playing with the door handle and shocking myself over and over.

I was planning on pulling the plastic belly off from underneath to spray foam everywhere it looked like a rodent could get in anyhow – but now it’s a matter of trying to trace wires at the same time. Atleast I know I only have to chase the shore power.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

burrying galv mesh where necessary. I figure a foot down should do, although I’m not sure if that’s enough.

You have to bend the mesh to “L” shape. If it’s just straight down skunks and ground hogs will just keep digging ’til they get below it. Bent in an “L” they will give up when they hit the leg of the L

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You have to bend the mesh to “L” shape. If it’s just straight down skunks and ground hogs will just keep digging ’til they get below it. Bent in an “L” they will give up when they hit the leg of the L

Good advice there and an often overlooked detail.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

The worst part of all is that my wife watched me for about 15 minutes playing with the door handle and shocking myself over and over.

I was planning on pulling the plastic belly off from underneath to spray foam everywhere it looked like a rodent could get in anyhow – but now it’s a matter of trying to trace wires at the same time. Atleast I know I only have to chase the shore power.

Haha that’s funny, she was probably thinking what the heck is he doing lol

Not sure that would work, in our furnace room in the basement, the wall with the window is finished with jip but not around the window, just roughed the previous owner sprayed that sprayed expansion foam around the 2x and the cement wall, guess what he had little mice they actually chewed through the foam right around the height of the window frame,you could see their droppings, it’s a perfect round hole, they will just chew right through that foam, good luck with that, keep us posted bud

Doobie
    Pro

OLD THREAD WARNING

Any suggestions?

Good luck

I think my skunk problem is over. Two days ago I cleaned up the skunk poop where its bathroom seemed to be, and everything was weeks dry. In fact, I hadn’t noticed a change in the last few weeks of the pillings and at night, I haven’t smelt roving skunk smell at all in the last few weeks.

I think with having resumed my shed build and having music blarring during the day while doing so may have been enough to drive the cute little bugger away. At least that’s what I’m hopin right now. Fingers crossed!

I have heard that to get rid of racoons under a shed to leave a radio on and they will move on, but I did not read that trick anywhere on my online research for skunks. Maybe it’s simply any animal that has a noisy neighbor upstairs will vamoose. So far so good if he/she is gone.

Then again, maybe it just got ate by a coyote or shmucked by a car, who knows for sure if it’s not simply up in Pepe LePew heaven. Lol!

Doobie
    Pro

OLD THREAD WARNING

Any suggestions?

Good luck

I think my skunk problem is over. Two days ago I cleaned up the skunk poop where its bathroom seemed to be, and everything was weeks dry. In fact, I hadn’t noticed a change in the last few weeks of the pillings and at night, I haven’t smelt roving skunk smell at all in the last few weeks.

I think with having resumed my shed build and having music blarring during the day while doing so may have been enough to drive the cute little bugger away. At least that’s what I’m hopin right now. Fingers crossed!

I have heard that to get rid of racoons under a shed to leave a radio on and they will move on, but I did not read that trick anywhere on my online research for skunks. Maybe it’s simply any animal that has a noisy neighbor upstairs will vamoose. So far so good if he/she is gone.

Then again, maybe it just got ate by a coyote or shmucked by a car, who knows for sure if it’s not simply up in Pepe LePew heaven. Lol! All I care about is not having that little bugger under my shed. I just hope a new tenant isn’t lookin to move in before I get a chance to skirt it which I don’t plan on doing for some time. Once I get my siding done, I plan on moving on to other projects before any skirting gets done. May not happen til next year in fact.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 583 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.888 seconds