dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,921 through 1,940 (of 2,498 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Septic passed inspection, it’s all covered over, then soil put on it and it’s seeded. They did a great job.

Nice to hear your spetic pass. I am sure you are glad to have that job done. I less thing to worry about.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Got 2 of the 8′ flourescents put up on the 3 way switch replacing some of the 4′ ones that were there. Of course that was after 2 days of playing “where the heck does this wire run to”. Continuity checks and tearing apart the ceiling and trying to figure out what they had done. I may put up a 3rd or even a 4th tomorrow. Not the greatest lights ever made but a big improvement (they are the skinny tubes..T8??) and no blank spots, and they were ones I took down elsewhere in the house so…free.

I didn’t even know that they had 8 foot lights , I know about the 4 foot ,

Free is always nice lol

I just removed a 8ft from my workshop.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I still wonder about moving my shop upstairs as we don’t rent the big room at all (well, once). The basement could then go to rent as storage space. My wife suggests we reno the upstairs into our home, but there is no water feed to that side.

Would it not be easier to use the room upstairs as rental space for storage? Carrying items downstairs is not fun.

Greg

Deck rail and gates picture for the other week, it should keep my grandson in 🙂

Will

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Would it not be easier to use the room upstairs as rental space for storage?

Yes it would, but it has all those nice windows with natural light, a wood floor instead of the concrete downstairs, and high ceilings. Much nicer space to work in.

I put in 2 more of the flourescents today, moved another one and moved a switch. I have actual functioning lights over the table saw now! Yippee! There is only one area that is a bit dark and I just have stuff sitting there that hasn’t found a home yet or has to be taken apart (stairs, etc) that I salvaged from our destruction phase.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Deck rail and gates picture for the other week, it should keep my grandson in 🙂

Looks great 👍

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Did a little bit of a lot today.

Started out pulling a seat out of my Jeep and cutting a hole in the floorboards over a unibody frame rail(planned on pulling the carpet to see if getting in from the top was even possible) to assess the rust inside and further plan my repairs to address the issue. Also ordered both center and rear frame stiffeners to further strengthen the areas. Once those get in I can figure out the custom frame stiffener section between the 2, that has a body web normally, so it’s not plated in either set of frame stiffeners. Once I get that section plated, I can then proceed with replacing the web and move on to my rocker replacement, then prep the outside of the framerails, weld in the frame stiffeners, and paint/undercoat the underside. I’ll then go back in through the floor in a couple spots to mechanically and chemically remove/treat the rust inside. IF I did the interior first, I’d burn off all any rust treatment/paint inside the framerail when I weld in the stiffeners. I also spent some time playing with the Ames borescope I picked up from Harbor Freight, mainly for the purpose of getting a good look inside the frame rails. It tells me there’s a lot of rust, but outside of the areas I”ll be plating, the frames decent. My rust issues are mostly in the rear LCA mount area, the area which is the most common rust/rot area on a WJ. I suspect it’s due to the plethora of holes in the frame rails in the area letting in dirt/salt/water/ect.

Then I drug out the welder(I either have to carry the 50lb welder+ a number of toolboxes 200ft, to near the house, or else run 100ft of 10g + 100ft of 12g extension cord to power it outside my shed) and welded a screw together “smores” flag holder that had snapped the screw off for my mother. I really need to either get power wired to the garage(I half wired it last summer but never got the 135′ of 4/0 UF cable to get power to the garage(75A panel, 50 of which is for a 50a 220v outlet for my fathers stick welder.) or else build an outdoor welding cart, but I have no room for the latter. I’ve build a welding cart for the garage as my first project, but it has 1.5″ casters. My toolcart I drag from the garage to driveway has 4″ casters and I have a hard time getting it over the 75′ pr lawn in between.

During my cleanup for that, my father was working on replacing the axle shaft and wheel bearing on there truck. I had my tool cart over in the driveway, and I asked if he needed any brake caliper slide pin grease(as I looked down and saw it), at which point he discovered a siezed slide pin. I took the caliper bracket and dealt with that as he kept working on everything else. To get the stuck pin out, I had to clamp it in a vise and hammer the bracket off the pin. Hosed it out with ShopSolv and a nylon bore brush till everything came out clean, then ceramic slide pin grease.

Finished up tearing my jumper box apart to figure out why it wouldn’t charge after being plugged in for 2-3 days. Found the internal wire between the internal wall wort charger and the circuit board was somehow cut through. Removed it and brought it inside. Twisted the wires back together in a quasi-Western Union splice, and soldered them back together, with shrink tube over the outside.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

all (well, once). The basement could then go to rent as storage space. My wife suggests we reno the upstairs into our home, but there is no water feed to that side.

Given the amount of work your putting into the place, I’d give the shop some prime real estate, whether that be in an existing structure or in a new shop building.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yes it would, but it has all those nice windows with natural light, a wood floor instead of the concrete downstairs, and high ceilings. Much nicer space to work in.

I agree it would make a great workshop. I love having natural light as well. Honestly I hated my basement workshop. But it was the only option I had.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I would remove the ballasts and just go with LED tube bilbs

I cherry picked all the best units for the shop. There were a bunch of T12 units I pitched. The T8’s are relatively new, not used often, and might as well use them up if they still work as is. They’re free!!! My original plan was to go with LED strips like I did in the old shop. They were about $10/4′ strip. Maybe someday when I win the lottery I will still do it.

I still wonder about moving my shop upstairs as we don’t rent the big room at all (well, once). The basement could then go to rent as storage space. My wife suggests we reno the upstairs into our home, but there is no water feed to that side.

Oh I misread. I thought you had the extra fixtures but not extra tubes. I usually keep the light fixtures, remove the ballasts cause I hate dealing with florescent ballasts every few years, then I just put in LED tubes in the same fixtures instead of florescent tubes.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I usually keep the light fixtures, remove the ballasts cause I hard dealing with florescent ballasts every few years, then I just put in LED tubes in the same fixtures instead of florescent tubes.

I did that once but found that buying new fixtures from Sams Club was easier and faster. They are around $20 ea and 5,000 lumens which are the brightest I have found. Much easier, unplug old light set new light chains to the old light length and rehang new light for $20 can’t beat it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I thought you had the extra fixtures but not extra tubes

I had both.

Today I put our sign back up outside. Took it down for the septic inspector being here just in case he decided we need a commercial system. Also put another light in the foyer to brighten it up a bit there. I may take out one of the 2 sinks in the laundry area today too. Wife only wants 1 in there and we got some stuff to repair the enamel on the old kitchen sink that was in the old kitchen where the shop is now. So that will probably replace the other one.

@roninohio hey Ron , how did that little job go yesterday for the neighbor , hope it all worked out ok.

I think I pulled another muscle in the rib chest area , friggin sore as hell 😭
    Finished trimmer lots of shrubs in the yard after work , I definitely need to pull out the Toro vacuum for the dead leafs and stuff

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

pull out the Toro vacuum for the dead leafs and stuff

You have a leaf vac? I am looking for a vac that will pick up seeds and cherry sized figs. Is it corded or cordless?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You have a leaf vac? I am looking for a vac that will pick up seeds and cherry sized figs. Is it corded or cordless?

I have a Black and Decker corded leaf vac that works great, leaves, sticks etc. Really cleans them up. Black and Decker makes a cordless version of the corded one I have

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

pull out the Toro vacuum for the dead leafs and stuff

Yeah I bought it around 8 years ago from HD , it was on sale for 69 or 79 dollars , Toro vacuum and blower , I always use it for closing out the pool plumbing , and blowing out the clothes dryer vent , and the obvious thing sucking up the 🍀🌿 after winter , it is the model with the metal propeller , it has lots of power , I’ll try to get a picture later today when I get home ,

This is the one I bought

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/toro-ultra-240-mph-360-cfm-electric-12-amp-blower-vacuum-mulcher/1000818853

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Yesterday was a day with the rake and shovel. Somedays you have to do the work usually delegated to the new guy. I guess that’s what happens when you work for yourself and the boss is a jerk.

Yesterday was a day with the rake and shovel. Somedays you have to do the work usually delegated to the new guy. I guess that’s what happens when you work for yourself and the boss is a jerk.

Lmao 🤣😆

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Today we are starting another round of taking out some of the poorly installed windows and putting them back in so they are actually weather tight.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Today we are starting another round of taking out some of the poorly installed windows and putting them back in so they are actually weather tight.

Hope you don’t find any surprises.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1,921 through 1,940 (of 2,498 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.499 seconds