dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,781 through 1,800 (of 2,498 total)
  • Author
    Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I’ll give an update for over the weekend until tonight. I.e. my 4 day saga of soaking in gear.hydraulic oil.

Saturday: went out to change the PCV valve on the Jeep. Found out I didn’t have all the parts so started digging into the source of some front end issues and noises. That evolved into a spider gear replacement(already had parts), which entailed removing the carrier to remove the ring gear so the crosspin could come out. While it was apart, I checked the pinion preload and it came in at 0in/lbs(supposed to be either 6-10 or 10-20in/lbs, depending on what chart you look at.) I had a new crush sleeve, so I removed the pinion to “properly” preload the bearings and get everything into spec. FSM called to torque the yoke nut to 160ft/lbs, check pinion preload, then increase in 5ft/lb increments until proper pinion preload is reached. My first reading at 160ft/lbs was 15in/lbs, so perfectly in spec. I attempted to install the carrier and found the gears were binding(i.e. pinion wasn’t fully pulled back into the bearing races.) I increased the yoke nut torque up to 250ft/lbs, before gicing up for the night. I also found I had a bad wheel bearing(both had issues, one was really bad), so planned a parts run the next morning.) By the end of the day, I may as well have went swimming in a tank of gear oil. Late night research revealed many similar stories is and suggested reusing the already crushed crush sleeve, which I planned to do.)

Sunday: 8:30am I called all the parts stores and was only able to locate one wheel bearing in stock so I went and got that. Got home and tore into axle, removed the new crush sleeve and put the old one in and had the carrier reinstalled and operating perfectly before noon and the rest of the front end reassembled before 2pm, when I went for a successful test drive. Result of this day was just as through of a bath in gear oil as the day before.

Monday: Normal day at work until we finished the regular work early due to lack of equipment. Finished the day getting a hydraulic cooler back in place on the compactor for the mechanics to get hooked up Tuesday morning. Had issues with bolt alignment, but after the supervisor and I taking turns fighting with it for hours, we gave up. In the alternating times, I was using my Bosch 18v angle grinder to remove the old scale mount pads that people had been tripping on since we came back from the roof collapse shutdown. Not quite as oil soaked, but that compactor has enough minor leaks to leave an oily film everywhere, despite being routinely scrubbed.

I also found out everyone division wide is getting a $0.75 raise and anyone who’s already had a review this year is getting a pro rated amount in addition, as they’re changing employee review date from your hire date, to a single date for everyone to simplify things for accounting.

Today: Started the day still lacking equipment so I helped the mechanic get the hydraulic cooler hooked back up, so got a bit dirty first thing. At the same time we got that running, the equipment we’d been waiting on arrived so it got quickly set up and we went into a normal routine. I was having some trouble with the cardboard baler I run due to the temperatures, but otherwise things were running smoothly. Everything shut down and I assumed it was quitting time(it can vary depending on a number of factors so I still have to ask after 6 years.) I saw my supervisor out at his truck changing clothes, which seemed a bit odd. A little later I find out he’d been clearing a jam at the compactor and a hydraulic hose we’d attached in the morning blew off, soaking him in hyraulic oil. I grabbed the socket set and got the hose reattached and we fired it up(both of us standing to either side in case the hose blew off again) to retract the ram and check the oil level and instantly the line blew at the clamp(hose clamp I’d tightened as tight as I dared, as I didn’t want a repeat, soaking me in hydraulic oil(which sprayed out the side of the hose in my direction.)

The mechanics get to deal with that in the morning, as We don’t have extra hose and I’m tired of bathing in oil.

I also bought some Wago 221 connectors for a small electrical modification to my shop extension, anyone ever use them?

I seem to recall using them once. I inherited a project from someone who got in over their head and that’s what they were using. I don’t recall a lot about them, other than I thought they seemed like a solution searching for a problem.

How big is your property?

Not sure, a couple of acres maybe. I know it compromises of multiple (8 to 12) lots plus a road allowance where the road never went in and the church bought it before they sold it to us.

Might be worth getting a survey and condensing it all into one deed. A friend of mine had to work through a similar situation. If you ever intend to sell the property as a whole, a single deed would be more enticing than buying a lot of individual properties and not really being sure of the properties boundaries. If you intend to sell off individual lots down the road, the current situation is preferable.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Might be worth getting a survey and condensing it all into one deed

That was done upon our purchase. All the lots are listed, most of them as one unit. We could, if we wanted, remove the connecting piece to the chapel, and sell that off as a seperate entity. The basements have 8′ of space between them for that very purpose. Not that we are considering that though.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

@Dustincoc
    You sound like you really know what you’re doing mechanical wise on the jeep , 👍👍

Yeah hydraulic oil is definitely not fun
    I’ve worked with that stuff for a few months at the shop , we use it for the motion system
    I’ve been lucky enough never to have bathed in it lol
    But I’ve heard horror stories about having those pipes burst out and spraying everything and everyone around ,
    Takes weeks to get rid of the oil residue lol

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

It was supposed to be an easy day.

Found out a neighbour had removed a whole bunch of trees and was giving them away, so we ended up planting about 3 dozen or so on the edge of the property.

Oh, and the black flies are here.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Found out a neighbour had removed a whole bunch of trees and was giving them away, so we ended up planting about 3 dozen or so on the edge of the property.

Blackflies started here about 2 weeks ago.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

my 4 day saga of soaking in gear.hydraulic oil.

and gear oil from the Jeep has such a pleasant smell. Gear oil has to be the worst smelling stuff that will just not wash off.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Finished up a new railing for a customer. all the wood parts were made in our shop. Here are before and after photo’s

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

We experienced Black flies when we lived in New Hampshire. I’ll pass on being anywhere near those things again. Pretty nasty 2 weeks or so.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Finished up a new railing for a customer. all the wood parts were made in our shop. Here are before and after photo’s

Wow that’s really nice Kurt , that’s a project I’ll have to get done in my house also ,
    Was there any issues re installing in the same place , I know sometimes those lag bolts become loose ,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Wow that’s really nice Kurt , that’s a project I’ll have to get done in my house also ,

Was there any issues re installing in the same place , I know sometimes those lag bolts become loose ,

We ended up cutting a hole in the basement ceiling and used a little different mounting method than the original so it worked out pretty well. The posts are much more solid now than they were before.

We ended up cutting a hole in the basement ceiling and used a little different mounting method than the original so it worked out pretty well. The posts are much more solid now than they were before.

That’s a great idea , guess you used blocking or something else , I already had to solidify one post , those lags unfortunately become loose sometimes ,
    You know I actually might have access under the post , I think they fall right in the hot water tank room 🤞 that’s something like that style my boss likes lol
    Looks amazing Kurt

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Finished up a new railing for a customer.

Oh, that looks so much better. The old one was just…ugh! The new looks beautiful.

We have been mulling over the idea of keeping the ramps in our foyer but removing the solid walls on their sides and replacing with a similar style railing system….someday. We are getting accustomed to the ramps, and the dog likes them too. A railing would open up the room visually.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice job! I freaked out when I saw the first picture. I thought that looks really old ! The new one looks great.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice job! I freaked out when I saw the first picture. I thought that looks really old ! The new one looks great.

yes, the first photo is 70’s vintage is my guess, possibly late 60’s. Much more modern looking now. it would be fun to see the before and after for the replacement next time it is done in 2070.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

For most of the past year, I’ve had Fridays off, so no work today.

Stated out the day hitting some yard sales, Posted about that in the yard sale find thread. My 4yo nephew glues himself to me “with Gorilla Glue”(his words, when I’m around, so needless to say I had a tail.

Then spend some time with the aforementioned nephew playing Minetest(similar to Minecraft, but less developed and more intended for people to build other similar games off of), which he’s almost addicted to, so we limit him to just a few hours a week. For a while it was looking like I’d be going back to working Fridays, and he planned to go to my boss and her boss and give them crap as it was interfering with his getting to play the game.

Got home and started figuring out what’s going on with one of the lawn tractors(Late 90’s Lawn General that was my Grandfathers until it developed a gas tank leak, then was given to my uncle/cousin or lawn mower racing, which never was done so it sat and got drug around for a couple years until my uncle got sick of dragging it around and gave it to us. It ran, but it needed some ether to start.) Carb was screwed up, and a new one came in the mail yesterday. Installed it last night and it started up just fine the first time. Then it didn’t want to turn over. At first I suspected a low battery so it st with a battery charger on it all night, then it still wouldn’t start. I still suspected a battery or solenoid issue so spent a coule hours fiddling with that, until I removed the starter and disassembled it, to find the internal wire between a (-)brush and ground had melted off of the brush, so only half the windings were making a complete circuit. I also found some of the magnets were broken and magnet parts stuck to the rotor, making an grinding noise I first thought was really bad bearings when I spun it by hand when removed.

I also spent a little time last night pulling the muffler off the Craftsman Lawn tractor, to find something’s broke loose inside. It’s got what seems like a skip, that my father suspects is the muffler.

I also found out this morning that a Poulan lawn tractor without a deck that’s been sitting under a tarp out back for a couple years is up for grabs. According to my brother when it was dropped off, it just needed a battery, but used a lot of oil. All along I thought is was something that we were storing for him, but I was told today that when dropped off he said to scrap it, but he may want the nearly new tires. I’ve been looking for something to be used as a tow tractor for hauling firewood and heavy things around the house, as the Craftsman has a very tired hydrostatic transaxle. Time for it to be retired to lawn mower only duty, as to replace the internal parts that are worn costs more than a new transaxle(The pump/motor units were $400+ ea a few years back and it needs 2, plus any other parts), and a new transaxle’s costs($600, as of a few years ago) a lot more than the tractor worth given it’s age and lots of use.

AfterI figured out the reason for the Lawn General’s issues, I moved on to tinkering with me Homelite Super 2 chainsaw. Last weekend I retrofit a coil off a Homelite waterbug pump engine onto it, and got it running for the first time since I’ve had it, but it would only run for a bit and quit. I ordered a carb rebuild kit and got that installed today. When I took it apart, I found the valve plate screw was loose. I installed the new kit anyway, and now it still isn’t running any better. A little worse actually. Gave u for the day at this point at i’s very hot out and I was sweating enough to fog my glasses up.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

What a great change that was! I cannot believe they kept the old one that long. It looked terrible.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Started the interior trim for the wide window set I built. Almost done. Had to glue up some wider filler panels for it, so the glue is drying on that. Will be putting the finish on it tomorrow.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Gave u for the day at this point at i’s very hot out and I was sweating enough to fog my glasses up.

After all that you did on your day off it was time for a rest. Hope you get your chainsaw running better.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Dustincoc
    LoL the part about your nephew wanting to speak with the bosses lol
    Sounds like you have some good quality time with him
    Sorry to hear about that bad luck with all the lawn tractors ,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I met with the homeowner on a porch we did a while back. I posted it then, but got a photo with a lot less sun reflection. I thought I would repost the better photo

Viewing 20 posts - 1,781 through 1,800 (of 2,498 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.597 seconds