dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,741 through 1,760 (of 1,924 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Spent some time out in the shop this morning making a Craftsman Versastak insert for the Bosch 18v grinder I just bought.

did you get the new X-lock grinder? If so how do you like it?

I’ve moved to the Craftsman boxes in the past year, mostly due to cost. 1/2 the price of L-boxxs and I can pick them up in a store locally. They also have a water resistant seal. Dewalt & Craftsman are owned by the same company and the differences between Dewalt T-stak and Craftsman Versastack boxes are minimal.

I may pull out an L-boxx and see is I can get the recip saw to fit, as it won’t fit in an Versastack box.

I am also on the versastack TSTAK boxes, I use both and mix and match. I have more “drawers” then I have cases. I got the two drawer ones from versastack and the single deep drawer from TSTAK. The single deep drawer would not fit the Bosch 18v grinder (too shallow) that I have nor the Bosch compact saw (too long).

It’s difficult to fit any kind of recip saw in a standard box. If you go with a very tall box to put the recip saw in diagnonally lower corner to upper corner it’s a waste of space. I end up just leaving recip saws in their own hard case and not try to store them in standard boxes. I am really liking the Bosch multi-grip recip saw and have been trying to figure out how to fit into the versastack but just impossible. The only way a recip saw will fit into these boxes is if someone makes one that can be taken apart into two pieces. I remember a saw some years ago with a front that can turn and rotate for the cut I think it’s call a tiger saw or something and if the front and rear can decouple it will be great for storage. The Milwaukee 18V hacksaw will fit into a versastack box if battery is removed.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Spent the whole day running taking care of things to get one house started adn another one ready to close.

I cannot believe how appliance stores will sell appliances including installation of them, and then not include the things you need for installation. once they showed up i had to get a fastening bar for the dishwasher, the vent kit for the dryer and a water hose for the refrigerator. I would think a salesperson would try to upsell a customer everything needed to complete the install.

Today is closing day, It is always a good day.

Basically, it’s a way to charge more. Similar to airlines charging for bags the appliances include nothing and you need to buy the accessories. In addition to your list dishwasher supply lines, the one that really pissed me off was garbage disposals do not come ready to plug in. It comes with a pigtail and to plug into a switched receptacle in the sink cabinet requires a $15 “receptacle adapter kit”.

I understand the upcharge , but then sell it so when you go to install everything. They are defeating themselves by not selling it when they have the customer in the store the first time.

Had I not run to get the stuff, they were going to leave everything in the middle of the floor and just say to bad!

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Spent some time out in the shop this morning making a Craftsman Versastak insert for the Bosch 18v grinder I just bought.

did you get the new X-lock grinder? If so how do you like it?

I’ve moved to the Craftsman boxes in the past year, mostly due to cost. 1/2 the price of L-boxxs and I can pick them up in a store locally. They also have a water resistant seal. Dewalt & Craftsman are owned by the same company and the differences between Dewalt T-stak and Craftsman Versastack boxes are minimal.

I may pull out an L-boxx and see is I can get the recip saw to fit, as it won’t fit in an Versastack box.
    SKIP NAVIGATION

I am also on the versastack TSTAK boxes, I use both and mix and match. I have more “drawers” then I have cases. I got the two drawer ones from versastack and the single deep drawer from TSTAK. The single deep drawer would not fit the Bosch 18v grinder (too shallow) that I have nor the Bosch compact saw (too long).

It’s difficult to fit any kind of recip saw in a standard box. If you go with a very tall box to put the recip saw in diagnonally lower corner to upper corner it’s a waste of space. I end up just leaving recip saws in their own hard case and not try to store them in standard boxes. I am really liking the Bosch multi-grip recip saw and have been trying to figure out how to fit into the versastack but just impossible. The only way a recip saw will fit into these boxes is if someone makes one that can be taken apart into two pieces. I remember a saw some years ago with a front that can turn and rotate for the cut I think it’s call a tiger saw or something and if the front and rear can decouple it will be great for storage. The Milwaukee 18V hacksaw will fit into a versastack box if battery is removed.

Not the X-lock, just a GWS18V-45. I took advantage of the free battery kit with bare tool purchase deal they’ve got going, and got the recip saw and grinder mainly just to get the battery kits which sell for more than the bare tools.

I don’t have a hard case for the recip saw as I got it as just a bare tool. Harbor Freight has one that rotates.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I understand the upcharge , but then sell it so when you go to install everything. They are defeating themselves by not selling it when they have the customer in the store the first time.

Had I not run to get the stuff, they were going to leave everything in the middle of the floor and just say to bad!

I think a lot of the merchants still have to work out the last mile installation as part of their process.

When I place orders for appliance online, most of the time, they do recommend the accessories once you add an item to the cart. For example on HD and Lowes, if you pick a washer it will recommend a set of new hoses, and if a dryer, a new dryer vent kit, a refrigerator would ask if you like a water filter or an icemaker kit. If you didn’t order it at the same time, then it gets tricky because usually the company who delivers the appliances and do the final install is not the same company but some logistics company. They can do basic delivery and “standard” install but anything not typical they can’t and won’t do.

Last year I ordered a new refrigerator for a rental at Lowes, and I did it online and in the order processing I specified a door reversal which is included. When the company delivered the item they said they do not do door reversal because it’s a special change. How special can it be to flip the door on a fridge and this can’t be a “one in a thousand” frequency request!

Oh and in Florida, if you are installing a new washer, you MUST change the hoses no matter how new the existing hoses are! In fact, the installer won’t hook it up unless you have new hoses, they say now it’s illegal. They sell you a new set of hoses for $25. Highway robbery!

I am getting so sick and tired of stupid building codes that are designed to force you to buy new products and waste money on installing them. Central AC systems no longer allow replacing the air handler or the compressor, must be both for permits. New hoses for new washers, A licensed electrician to do the electrical hookup for a water heater and a licensed plumber to do the supply line hook up.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Not the X-lock, just a GWS18V-45. I took advantage of the free battery kit with bare tool purchase deal they’ve got going, and got the recip saw and grinder mainly just to get the battery kits which sell for more than the bare tools

I have the GWS18V-45 grinder but it gets very little usage due to it’s extreme short life, only 3 minutes of grinding on a fully charged 6.3ah battery. I too took advantage of the Lowes promo I bought a 6.5″ circular saw and got a free 4ah starter kit. Good deal. No box will fit that circular saw though except the tall rolling box.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Not so much in the shop as ‘delivered and in the house’. Fishing rod racks were delivered to the grandsons, youngest grandson had breakfast in his bedroom sitting next to the rod rack – guess he liked it. 🙂

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Not so much in the shop as ‘delivered and in the house’. Fishing rod racks were delivered to the grandsons, youngest grandson had breakfast in his bedroom sitting next to the rod rack – guess he liked it. 🙂

Very nice.

Wish I had one, not for fishing rods but for billard cues.

That’s priceless 👍👌 I bet you were smiling from ear to ear ❤️🙏
    Best thing I’ve heard today

Not so much in the shop as ‘delivered and in the house’. Fishing rod racks were delivered to the grandsons, youngest grandson had breakfast in his bedroom sitting next to the rod rack – guess he liked it.

Being a Grandfather myself, I am tickled by your post. How wonderful for you!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Insulation, vapour barrier and got the panelling back up around that window. I replaced the light in the ceiling in that area too, what a nice change that is to have a light in there. Wife and I put a few more panels in the ceiling of the foyer too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Got a lot done in the shop today.

Pulled this oldie, from the days when natural selection was allowed to do it’s thing, out and got it running again. Needed new fuel lines and a carb cleaning and it runs just like new.

I do get a bit nervous knowing it doesn’t have a chain brake, but it is ~27 years old and just won’t die. I’ve got 3 other user saw all in need of repair and this one is the most reliable of the fleet. Next in line will be one of the Homelite top handle saws, although when I’ll get around to it is TBD. Took me years to get this one running again. I love using a top handle saw to limb with, but they’re hard to find and cost a fortune new. Too dangerous efor heavier cuts due to how close your hands are together negatively impacting the ability to resist the saw kicking.

The oldest in my collection, which hasn’t been used since the 1970’s(when my great grandfather died, at it was temperamental then) is a Homelite 5-20, 5.01(82cc) cubic inch displacement and weights a mere 20lbs. Made ~1955. The chain is gear driven, so not only is there no chain brake, the low speed, high torque chain won’t stop short of stalling the engine.

I also spend some time working on making the tracking hinge for a 2×42″/2×48″ belt grinder I’m working on( the mount for the wheel I’m holding in place in the pic). My original plan was to build a 2×42″, then I was informed 2×48″ was a more common size so I plan on building a machine capable of running either size belt. Unsure how I’ll be able to switch between sizes. My current design is just for 2×48″ belts, and I may abandon the 2×42″ option. The other option is to put a second spindle for the upper wheel lower on the post to put the 42″ belt within the adjustment range of the tension/tracking arm.

I also had the replacement for the exhaust hanger I lost off the Jeep shop up today so I’ll be getting under there tomorrow and getting that back on, after who knows how long without it. I’ll also be trying to find the sources of some odd rattles and knocks as well. I’ve got a large pile of parts to install(TRE’s shocks, steering stabilizer, new rockers to weld in, spider gears for the front axle, exhaust hangers) and even more on the way(taillights and rear glass lift struts) Planing on taking a week off to tackle the rocker project that I’ve been getting the parts together for for over a year.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Not much in the shop , running around this morning , stopped by to put some flowers on my Mom and Aunt Graves today , was a difficult morning , first mothers day without my mom ,🙏 , then a few more errands , then I came home and gave my lawn the first cut this year ,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I do get a bit nervous knowing it doesn’t have a chain brake, but it is ~27 years old and just won’t die. I’ve got 3 other user saw all in need of repair and this one is the most reliable of the fleet.

Those old tools that are well built are tough tools. They last a long time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well, it’s Mother’s Day, so I am taking on a pet project my wife wants done. She wanted the swinging doors from the enterance of the chapel moved to between our living area and the foyer. I took them down weeks ago and found that the new opening she wants them in is not as wide.

Today I took them into the shop and cut just over 1/2″ from the edge of the door. Then I took the strip that I ripped off and ripped it again, just enough to get the veneer. Glued that back on to the edge of the door (hope I took enough off the door). Gave it all a light sanding with 320 grit and a coat of water based poly which is now drying.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Not so much in the shop as ‘delivered and in the house’. Fishing rod racks were delivered to the grandsons, youngest grandson had breakfast in his bedroom sitting next to the rod rack – guess he liked it.

Being a Grandfather myself, I am tickled by your post. How wonderful for you!

Thanks, it is especially great as they live 2100 miles from us. 🙁

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I took them down weeks ago and found that the new opening she wants them in is not as wide.

Isn’t that the way it always goes. And it’s never a lot either just a bit but it is just as much work for a bit than for a lot.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Finally got the doors in. Only had to cut them down twice too…lol. When I ripped them narrower, I re ripped the veneer off the edge and reapplied to the door edge. I guess it turned out OK considering the doors aren’t flat and the opening isn’t square. I just kept fiddling with it until it looked right.

The doors swing both ways and they have a detent on them that holds them open either way too.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

They look pretty good to me JDO. Nice modern looking door handles as well. That was the first thing that caught my eye.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

They look pretty good to me JDO. Nice modern looking door handles as well. That was the first thing that caught my eye.

Thanks. Not sure about modern for the handles. The chapel was built in ’61. Not sure when the doors went on but they seem to be influenced by mid-century modern style of the era a few years later than that. Not my favourite style (in fact I really dislike most mid-century modern), but on the doors, they work. Wife is happy, you can’t really tell the doors have been cut narrower with the veneer reapplied to the edge.

Fixing a cabinet door at my niece’s new rental place, likely the former tenant started or broke the door but it would likely impact her damage deposit, so I guess I get to fix it. Challenge is to fix the split rail without glue on the floating panel, and not have to remake a matching oak rail with teh ogee etc. it appears as there was very little glue holding the frame together but there were 2 small pins at the joint which caused the spilt along the rail at the top (right in the picture). So 9 clamps later …

Will

Viewing 20 posts - 1,741 through 1,760 (of 1,924 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.384 seconds