dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,721 through 1,740 (of 1,924 total)
  • Author

Still in the gutting faze at the office remodel I’m doing. Found the electric was not up to code so it became a little more work. Pulling all the wire has been time consuming. Most walls coming down. Trying to salvage what I can.

Looks great Ron , will you be keeping what’s left over , or will they deal with that
    I bet you could get a decent amount of money for those rolls of wire , unless you are repurposing it on the job site

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Still in the gutting faze at the office remodel I’m doing. Found the electric was not up to code so it became a little more work. Pulling all the wire has been time consuming. Most walls coming down. Trying to salvage what I can.

Looks great Ron , will you be keeping what’s left over , or will they deal with that

I bet you could get a decent amount of money for those rolls of wire , unless you are repurposing it on the job site

The 2x’s will be reused. I’m keeping the wire.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Spent the whole day running taking care of things to get one house started adn another one ready to close.

I cannot believe how appliance stores will sell appliances including installation of them, and then not include the things you need for installation. once they showed up i had to get a fastening bar for the dishwasher, the vent kit for the dryer and a water hose for the refrigerator. I would think a salesperson would try to upsell a customer everything needed to complete the install.

Today is closing day, It is always a good day.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Building another window out of scraps and leftovers. They look and seem to work OK for fixed pane windows. A lot better than what was there for sure. Cutting back on drafts and bugs entering is the name of the game. A bit better insulation with double panes and replacing some of the old stuff in the walls. Foam around the windows helps too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well, my second foray into building a window went smoother than the first. This one lined up better. I put the panes a bit closer to each other too. Still just made from left over 2×4’s and the old window panes from the house. Sealed with a good caulking and that should be a big improvement over the old rotted single pane unit it will replace.

Attachments:
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Well, my second foray into building a window went smoother than the first. This one lined up better. I put the panes a bit closer to each other too. Still just made from left over 2×4’s and the old window panes from the house. Sealed with a good caulking and that should be a big improvement over the old rotted single pane unit it will replace.

Any improvements are good improvements…. right?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Any improvements are good improvements

Especially when they are free. Well, I guess my time is worth something.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Window looks good Jim.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We got our house closed with no issues and moved across the street to the next one. Started installing stone and finishing up the soffit on the front.

Today is a wrestling room, remove all old pads and install new.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Looks good Jim. I sure it will be huge improvement from what was there.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Spent the whole day running taking care of things to get one house started adn another one ready to close.

I cannot believe how appliance stores will sell appliances including installation of them, and then not include the things you need for installation. once they showed up i had to get a fastening bar for the dishwasher, the vent kit for the dryer and a water hose for the refrigerator. I would think a salesperson would try to upsell a customer everything needed to complete the install.

Today is closing day, It is always a good day.

Basically, it’s a way to charge more. Similar to airlines charging for bags the appliances include nothing and you need to buy the accessories. In addition to your list dishwasher supply lines, the one that really pissed me off was garbage disposals do not come ready to plug in. It comes with a pigtail and to plug into a switched receptacle in the sink cabinet requires a $15 “receptacle adapter kit”.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Got the old window out. With a surprise. Also, no jack studs to the header, a stud cut 3/4 the way through, and it started to snow a bit…lol.

In the process of rebuilding things now. Not as good as I want to, but to do that it would mean cutting a section of wheel chair ramp out to get to the bottom of the wall. All the rotten is out and everything is reinforced well now. The wall no longer moves when you tug at the window opening at least.

Attachments:
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

More gooder.

Attachments:
    Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Got the old window out. With a surprise. Also, no jack studs to the header, a stud cut 3/4 the way through, and it started to snow a bit…lol.

In the process of rebuilding things now. Not as good as I want to, but to do that it would mean cutting a section of wheel chair ramp out to get to the bottom of the wall. All the rotten is out and everything is reinforced well now. The wall no longer moves when you tug at the window opening at least.

I live in a ballon framed house with my parents and any time a window gets replaced or framing needs to be done, I”m the one called upon for figure it out. Imagine studs 18ft long with the second floor rim notched into and nailed to the 2×4 studs. Worst part about working on it is the studs are made of a wood that hardens over tie. The house was built late ~1920, so driving a nail into existing structure in involves drilling a pilot hole, or you may as well be trying to drive a nail into steel. Windows(I suspect doors as well, but have never opened on up) are just a 2×4 box cut into the studs and nailed in, i.e. no headers or jack studs.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

2×4 studs.

…and I bet they are bigger than today’s. Which means nothing ever is the same dimension with the new framing material as the original material, right?

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Spent some time out in the shop this morning making a Craftsman Versastak insert for the Bosch 18v grinder I just bought. Not really happy how it came out, so although it’ll work for now, probably something I’ll revisit. I built it out of lexan, as I have a bunch of scrap, and didn’t get the only bent in the right spot. I hot glued it into the Versstack box, so removal won’t be that hard. a

I’ve moved to the Craftsman boxes in the past year, mostly due to cost. 1/2 the price of L-boxxs and I can pick them up in a store locally. They also have a water resistant seal. Dewalt & Craftsman are owned by the same company and the differences between Dewalt T-stak and Craftsman Versastack boxes are minimal.

I may pull out an L-boxx and see is I can get the recip saw to fit, as it won’t fit in an Versastack box.

The main goal is to create “kits” that have all I need to use a tool in the same box. Thus isn’t because I’m on a different site often, but rather that my tiny shop’s overpacked, and of an extremely wide variety of project. The only stationary tool that’s permanently set up is the drill press. Everything else is either set up when needed or only set up when the job warrants the setup time, or I’ll find a way to do without. If wood prices hadn’t gone through the roof, I’d be building a second shop/shed, to to split up the woodwork/metalwork/materials storage that I currently cram into a 8×10 shed(+more than I can think of stashed in my fathers garage).

I’ve actually cut back on my tool purchases as I have no place to store them.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The main goal is to create “kits” that have all I need to use a tool in the same box.

I’ve done the same thing with some of my L-Boxxes, they were taking over the garage so I bought some 3s and 4s and consolidated.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Worst part about working on it is the studs are made of a wood that hardens over time.

I think pine does that. My house is over 40 years old and some of the studs are like iron. The 2X4s are all that southern yellow pine and over time it just hardens like iron.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Spent some time out in the shop this morning making a Craftsman Versastak insert for the Bosch 18v grinder I just bought. Not really happy how it came out, so although it’ll work for now, probably something I’ll revisit. I built it out of lexan, as I have a bunch of scrap, and didn’t get the only bent in the right spot. I hot glued it into the Versstack box, so removal won’t be that hard. a

I’ve moved to the Craftsman boxes in the past year, mostly due to cost. 1/2 the price of L-boxxs and I can pick them up in a store locally. They also have a water resistant seal. Dewalt & Craftsman are owned by the same company and the differences between Dewalt T-stak and Craftsman Versastack boxes are minimal.

I may pull out an L-boxx and see is I can get the recip saw to fit, as it won’t fit in an Versastack box.

The main goal is to create “kits” that have all I need to use a tool in the same box. Thus isn’t because I’m on a different site often, but rather that my tiny shop’s overpacked, and of an extremely wide variety of project. The only stationary tool that’s permanently set up is the drill press. Everything else is either set up when needed or only set up when the job warrants the setup time, or I’ll find a way to do without. If wood prices hadn’t gone through the roof, I’d be building a second shop/shed, to to split up the woodwork/metalwork/materials storage that I currently cram into a 8×10 shed(+more than I can think of stashed in my fathers garage).

I’ve actually cut back on my tool purchases as I have no place to store them.

Yeah that’s one of the nice things about those craftsman boxes , much easier to find around here also , that plus like you said the price of them is much better , and most probably better for water or rain than the l boxes

I know my recip saw came in the l box 3 and it is placed from corner to corner , I never tried to see if it would fit in the l box 2 ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Picked up the 1 x 10 Pine I ordered. I need to make some stickers and piled properly so it will dry.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Viewing 20 posts - 1,721 through 1,740 (of 1,924 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.397 seconds