dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,621 through 1,640 (of 2,535 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I also thought I would post a couple photo’s of a porch we completed recently.

Wow beautiful work Kurt , I bet they will need that A/C on hot days with all those windows , love that fireplace ,

Did you add the a/c because the main house a/c might not be able to handle the extra load , or just because it will be easier to regulate the temperature with the small unit aside from that one of the house , I’m assuming the house already has a heat pump a/c unit

The house has a standard furnace and AC condensing unit. In this addition, the owners wanted warm floors so we put it on a foundation instead of stilts. we also used a ducted mini split with the main blower unit under the floor in the crawlspace. some of my competitor’s tried to sell them off a single duct coming from the house. I told them that with 3 exterior walls and all the glass, there was no way that would be able to keep the room at a proper temperature in the winter or summer. We suggested the ducted mini split due to the heating and cooling loads of all the windows.

There are 10 – 3′ x 6′ windows in the room. While we did use spray foam insulation, with windows providing basically an R – 4 , averaging that over the entire wall area, we probably have an r – 10 average. The overall insulation is not that great. Four of the windows face west which will create a lot of heat gain in the evenings also.

We used some electric radiant in the crawl space as back up heat should we get those 20 below days where the heat pump will lock out.

all in all, I think a big part of why we got the project is because of our recommendations on the heat pump and foundation, even costing more that some of the others, we showed better knowledge of the project and how to accomplish what the owner wanted.

Nice work Kurt! From the outside you don’t expect the inside. Quite awesome with the beams.

Wow beautiful work Kurt , I bet they will need that A/C on hot days with all those windows , love that fireplace ,

Did you add the a/c because the main house a/c might not be able to handle the extra load , or just because it will be easier to regulate the temperature with the small unit aside from that one of the house , I’m assuming the house already has a heat pump a/c unit

The house has a standard furnace and AC condensing unit. In this addition, the owners wanted warm floors so we put it on a foundation instead of stilts. we also used a ducted mini split with the main blower unit under the floor in the crawlspace. some of my competitor’s tried to sell them off a single duct coming from the house. I told them that with 3 exterior walls and all the glass, there was no way that would be able to keep the room at a proper temperature in the winter or summer. We suggested the ducted mini split due to the heating and cooling loads of all the windows.

There are 10 – 3′ x 6′ windows in the room. While we did use spray foam insulation, with windows providing basically an R – 4 , averaging that over the entire wall area, we probably have an r – 10 average. The overall insulation is not that great. Four of the windows face west which will create a lot of heat gain in the evenings also.

We used some electric radiant in the crawl space as back up heat should we get those 20 below days where the heat pump will lock out.

all in all, I think a big part of why we got the project is because of our recommendations on the heat pump and foundation, even costing more that some of the others, we showed better knowledge of the project and how to accomplish what the owner wanted.

My god , definitely know your stuff , that’s a great way to give your clients the knowledge that most others probably overlooked , I’m definitely sure they were happy to have gone with your team ,
    That’s fantastic information on the heating system ,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice work Kurt! From the outside you don’t expect the inside. Quite awesome with the beams.

We made the beams in our shop. We started with rough sawn 6 x 6 pine and planed them, cut and fit them then cut the curves and the center accents and plinth blocks at the walls. It was a fun job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kurt, very nice work, really like the beams, they are very nicely done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Started filling in the blank spot in one of the downstairs bedroom that we had 1/2 size window put in. Same as the bathroom.

We have 2 rooms booked with payments for 4 months and a 3rd is requested for the same amount of time. Forestry workers are coming in on Sunday.

But….

The plumber who stayed here for 2 nights wants 2 rooms for Tuesday and Wednesday next week, so we have to get the 5th bedroom ready, which we had in mind for personal company. I guess we are in business.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We have 2 rooms booked with payments for 4 months and a 3rd is requested for the same amount of time. Forestry workers are coming in on Sunday.

But….

The plumber who stayed here for 2 nights wants 2 rooms for Tuesday and Wednesday next week, so we have to get the 5th bedroom ready, which we had in mind for personal company. I guess we are in business.

Great JDO looking good. Hope it all works out. Good luck.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Started filling in the blank spot in one of the downstairs bedroom that we had 1/2 size window put in. Same as the bathroom.

But….

Nice to hear your hard work is paying off. With things moving in the right direction. $$$$$

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Picked up some additional Hickory yesterday to finish up the fishing rod holder for the grandsons. Nice to see that the local hardwoods warehouse has not raised prices since before Covid.
    Probably should have bought a lot more while I was there but I was in a bit of a hurry, so grabbed what I needed and headed home.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Picked up some additional Hickory yesterday to finish up the fishing rod holder for the grandsons. Nice to see that the local hardwoods warehouse has not raised prices since before Covid.

Sounds like a nice store for hardwood. I would like to find some good hickory. Pretty spotty around here. Usually not the greatest and not too much character to it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Picked up some additional Hickory yesterday to finish up the fishing rod holder for the grandsons.

Nice a hickory fishing rod holder. That will look nice when done I’m sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Spent most of yesterday doing tiling in a farm field that I have. there was an area that was always wet and held water.

While trying to locate the existing tile, I found a spot where someone had dug it up and removed a couple tiles and capped the line. With it open now and additional tile installed, I think it will stay a lot drier. I also put in a surface drain.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Sounds like a nice store for hardwood. I would like to find some good hickory. Pretty spotty around here. Usually not the greatest and not too much character to it.

Yea, it is a nice store. I have been buying hardwoods there for almost 15 years. Funny you mentioned what you were looking for – which is exactly what I needed.
    The fishing rod racks project started with some rather blond, and very little character lumber, left over stuff from our kitchen build.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Have you heard the term “Calico Hickory”? That is what I want big time. Very hard to find around here.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Got my first paycheck today since the end of Feb. A bit depressing to see a 53.47hr paycheck net me less than what I was making on unemployment.

Roof collapse the night of Feb 16/17 got me laid off with an unexpected phone call at 5am the next morning. Got called back with even less notice last week.

A phone call just after 8am last Monday needing me back ASAP, because the people that were working were quarantined. I made it there by 8:50, and walked into a mess. It seems management had no plan for if this happened(an obvious possibility to everyone in the plant)

The rest of the week is a blur. I had an equipment operator from another department(that had never run a skidsteer or horizontal cardboard baler) and the janitor, and somehow we managed to outproduce the people that had been working. A lot of that I think is that I put myself back in a laborer position, rather than as the equipment operator(as I think management intended.) Logic being that an experienced operator can quickly learn a new machine, while there’s no way I could teach someone to move 1000lb+’s of cardboard/hr while also watching for any of 10,000 things that could be going wrong(that I don’t even think about anymore), and correcting those issues with minimal downtime. I got away from the laborer role a couple years back because I go into autopilot when I’m up there, and WAY overdo it, to the point of physically crippling myself.

The regular crew was back this week, and I’m back on my machines like we never shut down(although the cab of by skidsteer has a huge dent from another operator tearing the rear pin boss out of the arm with the bucket 8′ in the air), and we outproduced last week, and we don’t have to work Saturday this week either.

Once I made it home tonight, I put new headlights in the Jeep, as they barely lit anything due to clouding. I’d polished out too many times and it never was very satisfactory. Condemning issue was a bird crapped on one of them last summer and it never got washed off. Now it looks like there’s paint splattered on that headlight. I also worked on making some repair panels i preparation for a rocker panel replacement on the Jeep. Also stared at the 2×42″/28″belt grinder I’m building, trying to figure out the tracking hinge design.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Oh, a bunch of things today.
    Some drywall mudding. I think it will be ready for paint tomorrow. That will make bedroom 5 (actually numbered 1) done and ready downstairs. I changed the knob on it to a keyed passage set too. This one is supposed to be for our personal company, but we had a request for 1 more bedroom than we had availible for a couple of nights, so what the heck.

Put up some more of the burlap covered panels we are making for the foyer. The look like crap, but less crappy than what was and is there. It’s just temporary until I get around to putting up wood, so it will hold us over. Still a bit to do on that to get it completely covered. I may have a lead on another mill doing cedar that is closer, so my original pine idea may be altered a bit, depends on price.

Speaking of cedar, walking into the chapel with all the wood stacked in there smells divine! It’s been in there for just over a week and had been in a shed for a few weeks before we picked it up so it ought to be usable for outdoor window trim when the weather gets cooperative for working.

Expecting our guests to start rolling in tomorrow, so it’s going to be a hectic weekend getting them settled in and comfortable. 3 young lads coming up to fight forest fires. Hope they aren’t too rowdy. On Tuesday we have 2 more rooms filled, so we will be at capacity. Over capacity actually, but that’s why I’m working on that last bedroom, which was supposed to be on the waiting list….so much for plans.

Oh! I got a call from MPAC and they have changed our classification from commercial to residentual. That will save on taxes and R4 classification still allows us to have paying guests. We can reclassify just the chapel at a later date if we decide to make it into something “businessy”. No plumbing over there so we don’t know yet what to do with it yet.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Some drywall mudding. I think it will be ready for paint tomorrow. That will make bedroom 5 (actually numbered 1) done and ready downstairs. I changed the knob on it to a keyed passage set too. This one is supposed to be for our personal company, but we had a request for 1 more bedroom than we had availible for a couple of nights, so what the heck.

Put up some more of the burlap covered panels we are making for the foyer. The look like crap, but less crappy than what was and is there. It’s just temporary until I get around to putting up wood, so it will hold us over. Still a bit to do on that to get it completely covered. I may have a lead on another mill doing cedar that is closer, so my original pine idea may be altered a bit, depends on price.

Speaking of cedar, walking into the chapel with all the wood stacked in there smells divine! It’s been in there for just over a week and had been in a shed for a few weeks before we picked it up so it ought to be usable for outdoor window trim when the weather gets cooperative for working.

Expecting our guests to start rolling in tomorrow, so it’s going to be a hectic weekend getting them settled in and comfortable. 3 young lads coming up to fight forest fires. Hope they aren’t too rowdy. On Tuesday we have 2 more rooms filled, so we will be at capacity. Over capacity actually, but that’s why I’m working on that last bedroom, which was supposed to be on the waiting list….so much for plans.

Oh! I got a call from MPAC and they have changed our classification from commercial to residentual. That will save on taxes and R4 classification still allows us to have paying guests. We can reclassify just the chapel at a later date if we decide to make it into something “businessy”. No plumbing over there so we don’t know yet what to do with it yet.

Sounds like you got alot going on. That is good if you have found a mill much closer for cedar.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Expecting our guests to start rolling in tomorrow,

Wow a lot going on. Expect you’ll be busy. Nice to se you are all filled up. Congrats

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Congratulations , great news , nice to hear about saving some cash for the taxes 👌

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Installed wall pads in “comforting rooms” at two schools yesterday, three rooms total. we have to go back and finish another room Monday.

Our salesman forgot the pad thickness so instead of subtracting 2 1/2″ at each corner he only subtracted 2″. We ended up having to cut down pads on all the rooms because they were to big and would not fit on the wall. A real PITA.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,621 through 1,640 (of 2,535 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.745 seconds