dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 2,766 total)
  • Author
    Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door and a window.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I hope you find your dream house with lots of room and a good price.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

This weekend was unpacking more stuff and fixing up the place a litte. Weeds had overgrown in the front, bushes were wild…. Back to work tomorrow to do a Tremco Puma membrane application on a parking garage.

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Back to work tomorrow to do a Tremco Puma membrane application on a parking garage

Nice to see you are doing “ground” work. Do you miss doing the work up high?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This weekend was unpacking more stuff and fixing up the place a litte. Weeds had overgrown in the front, bushes were wild…. Back to work tomorrow to do a Tremco Puma membrane application on a parking garage.

Hey Chris , what’s a puma membrane , and what is it supposed to do

Received my full face visor yesterday , supposed to receive my nitrile gloves and full body coat for using with the ammonia bifluoride bath and other chemicals
    Finished up with the distilled water container , have to replace some high vacuum pressure tank valves , and start up the system again

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

and we head north tomorrow morning to go see our most anticipated property. 3500 sq ft of 2 adjoing buildings with full basements under them. If it pans out I will have to cancel my membership in the small shop club…lol.

Look forward hearing about this place. I am sure that will be a very happy day when you cancel your membership to the small shop club!

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door

Installed a door

Wow that’s a beautiful door , nice clean work like always Sorin , I see that DeWalt nailer around the wall 👍

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door

Wow that’s a beautiful door , nice clean work like always Sorin , I see that DeWalt nailer around the wall 👍

Thank you!
    Can’t work without that nailer.

Doobie

This weekend was unpacking more stuff and fixing up the place a litte. Weeds had overgrown in the front, bushes were wild….

What did you move into Chris. House, townhouse….?

Back to work tomorrow to do a Tremco Puma membrane application on a parking garage

Nice to see you are doing “ground” work. Do you miss doing the work up high?

Or did you simply change companies?

Back to work tomorrow to do a Tremco Puma membrane application on a parking garage.

Hey Chris , what’s a puma membrane , and what is it supposed to do

Yes, curious minds want to know.

@Utopia78

Doobie

Installed a door

Those pics make a huge diff with recognizing the superb work you do and also add value for forum content.

Thanks for posting them whenever you can Sorin! Much appreciated @Sorpa on behalf of BTP!

Doobie

Travelled

Indeed!

Made it to Manitoulin yesterday. Looked at a place in Elliot Lake today. We didn’t even go in. Neighbours right on top of each other and the yard looks like it was owned by Sanford and Son. Then it was west down Hwy 17 and a few other places that we just looked at on the way by because we didn’t contact the agent. That was good because we didn’t waste the agent’s or our time. One place we had on our “list” that we removed we decided to go check out just for kicks. It’s a ’40’s style tiny cottage. Needs a lot of work and is small….but the location is gorgeous. So we’re going to think about it.

At this stage in life, an option. No pre-built outside potential shop structure I assume?

Right now we are in a tiny motel room where Gitchi Manitou and Gitchigumi meet (Sault Ste. Marie) and we head north tomorrow morning to go see our most anticipated property. 3500 sq ft of 2 adjoing buildings with full basements under them. If it pans out I will have to cancel my membership in the small shop club…lol.

Wow, that’s a biggee to get into from where you are now.

Think of the maintenance and the likely empty rooms void of furniture you likely don’t presently have to fill them all with.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door

Those pics make a huge diff with recognizing the superb work you do and also add value for forum content.

Thanks for posting them whenever you can Sorin! Much appreciated @Sorpa on behalf of BTP!

Thank you Kevin!

Doobie

OK, just to not create a riot behind the scenes with what is this potential fourth back to back posts unless someome intersperses it after this longishly developed post I just worked my nuts on. These are examples where it can be overlooked from the spirit of why we have that forum rule of not ‘generally’ allowing ‘back-to-back’ immediate postings within minutes apart.

Situations where in doing multi-posts of a host of different conversation topics where in getting coherent and ease of posting quoting can become very messy in trying to slap every response all in one one massive post. That’s acceptable. But be self-judicious in doing so!

That’s a PITA at times to adhere to as I’ve just experienced trying to even intersperse multi-ideas from a single post I made with a whole bunch of difficulty in this thread for clarity never mind moving into including other posted quotes from others that are non related.

You just have to use reasonable judgement when doing back-back posts. If it is a bunch of ‘Atta-Boys’ in seperate posts with no real contributive element and/or forwarding the conversation, it’s frowned upon and basically not allowed per forum straight out rules. Bunch up the multi-replies of ‘OKs and Atta-Boys’ in a single post please.

You guys have any clarity you need on this, let myself or any mods know.

Moving on…..

My WDYDITST post is basically working on my second backyard shed build again today after a week long plus hiatus. I’m labelling it Shed II.

After struggling with twisted old leftover/spare PT lumber from a week ago to get the main base structural components set nice and square, I wanted to do a MaGyver critter rider with a bunch of half inch galv mesh and the repurpose of some old galv fencing piping materials I’ve kept over the years. I also have 30 old bags of ready mix concrete bags in this solution as well.

Yes, I basically have to use in whatever way I could in PT I had on hand as there is none to be found for at least another month or more per all my suppliers.

In order to save on 2x PTs for either mistakes or simply to not have to redo the porch area down the road properly with the PT it actually needed for it’s substructure base elements where there is a porch, we went and scavenged 6X6 posts and found a best combo of them for the long edge rim boards instead of using 16 foot 2X6s instead that I had but were just too extreme twisted/bowed to be easily workable instead, that frankly were not worth the otherwise estimated effort in dressing into comfofmity.

It’s not ideal having to piece meal other heavily twisted PT materials on hand, but a necessary added element of insurance overall. Can’t also have a ‘one piece’ needed element stopping me in my tracks that I cannot get. This way, I have recourse for unexpected issues.

The shoddy 16 foot PT longers act as reserves now. I’m basically operating at limits for its base as I have on hand and have extended it to offer leeway now in this to avoid troubling stop in my tracks dillemas.

The still twisted pieces are all level for the rest of it and nice and squared corner to corner. It was a lot of work mucking with all the twisted old 6X6s originally intended for a deck over a week ago doing this repurposed job.

Some segments of 6×6 were butt-end connected using Simpson plate ties. The sides tied and fastened otherwise with right angle ties to the pier saddled lag bolt fastened beams to the pier saddles. That should have taken a small portion of the day otherwise with nice straight pieces but went on for over a day for all the machinations of dealing with heavily twisted PT lumber….Aaaargh!.

As an aside, wish some ‘idiots’ hadn’t told me years ago that 6X6 PT doesn’t twist over time if unpined. Totally wrong uninformed advice!

Today, for reasons that take too long to fully explain, we used my Makita tiller on my dual volt 18V Power Shaft and excavated soil that was a future near house drainage issue shaving it off and wheelbarrowing it to fill low areas where Shed II’s base needed it for my ‘critter-ridder’ makeshift idea is being implemented. I now have proper drainage near my house where a future deck will be placed. It was mostly pier hole drilling waste and un-mindful excavation work when the above ground pool excavators did their work half arse work years ago putting in our 33X19 above ground pool.

Once we did that work of getting rid of the excess mounds around the pool near the house and redeploying that dirt for today’s purpose with the Shed II build, then we were ready to do the cridder-ridder mesh work.

Cut the mesh to size with my 18V Bosch 4 1/2 inch grinder as needed. Stapled it to perimeters usimg my Bostich crown stapler. Made all corner areas such that there were no acess gaping holes with scrap pieces of mesh strategically melded into the ‘system’ I was creating that a determined critter could not bend out easily or with determined intent.

Next, as I previously mentiomed, is I have a bunch of old galz fencing pipe that will be placed in the cavities so animals cannot just dig underneath and pop up the galv mesh that is laid flat on the ground between the on pier main support beams where the piping and galv mesh will also be encassed accross in place to prevemt such with about 30 bags of ready mix that is two years old now and is dangerously really no good for anything else pouring around the perimeter locking it the mesh and the old galv fence pipe in place which we will cut to size and place the old galv piping to effect this.

Sounds very unorthodox, but this should help any animal from making a home underneath other than maybe mice, which I’m not concerned about.

I get to waste off that old galv fence piping that I’ve had for over five years that I can’t fathom using otherwise and use the old bags of crete that would cost me landfill fees to dispose of otherwise never mind luggin’ those 75 Lbs bags there to the landfill also.

The crete bags are sitting within feet of this job on above ground of over a foot off the ground in a very good old heavy duty rubber tarp I want to get back in use for other things I could that is an amazingly good 40 year old tarp for.

More work to do this whole effort, but it should work. Or at least I hope! I know…. I’m nuts. But time will tell if this was inspired. I’m obviously willing at least to try this. Somebody please don’t assuredly tell me that ‘coons and skunks can’t chomp thru half inch galv mesh!

I think I will lay some water soaked strips of landscape fabric where the comcrete will be poured. Keeps it from getting dehidrated in curing and in place. It won’t be some pretty pour. Mix it in the mixer, and deploy in shovel shlops where it encasses the perimeter mesh that will also have the strategicaly placed old galv fence pipe that prevents a ‘push-up’ from umderneath of amy critter digging his way from the perimeter to underneath to create a home by otherwise pushimg up the mesh laid between the cross beams restimg at grade height now just above.

It’s dark now, and I’m pooped, but here are some pics in the dark that might give you guys an idea of my evil plan.

First pic is my stash of the old galv fencing pipes that have been stretched out in between post saddles for my future deck.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Last week we finished a video screen install at a nearby school. The school had a screen on their stage behind the curtain but wanted it in the soffit in front of the curtain.

The soffit was 20 feet above the stage and the stage could not handle a scissors lift so it all had to be done with scaffolding.

We ended up cutting a hole in the soffit then re-supporting each edge with new metal studs then cut the stud out that went through the hole.

Once that was complete we installed clip angles on the precast wall above and a Unistrut frame to support the screen from. The screen was 23 feet long and weighed a little over 500 pounds.

With the hole and support structure in place, we lifted the screen up on the scaffolding with a couple of ductwork lifts then rigged it with chain hoists to lift it into place, once in place it was all bolted off and ready for the electrician.

It was a challenging job and something we do not do every day.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That was a lot of scaffolding. How long did it take you to get that set up? A lot of any job sometimes is getting ready to do the work rather than the job itself. in auto mechanics you need to remove 3-4 of more items just to get to the part you need to replace.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That was a lot of scaffolding. How long did it take you to get that set up? A lot of any job sometimes is getting ready to do the work rather than the job itself. in auto mechanics you need to remove 3-4 of more items just to get to the part you need to replace.

We probably had 2 to 3 hours of set up and a little less to tear down. the scaffolding in the last photo’s (green) was not ours, it was a company doing some sound and light work in the auditorium .

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Installed a door

Interesting…I noticed the new door is hinged on the opposite side. Are there anything inside the entrance that need to be moved as a result of the door switch, such as light switches that used to be next to the open side that you can reach easily now you have to step inside to close the door before you can get to it?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door

Interesting…I noticed the new door is hinged on the opposite side. Are there anything inside the entrance that need to be moved as a result of the door switch, such as light switches that used to be next to the open side that you can reach easily now you have to step inside to close the door before you can get to it?

Good point. The previous door was blocking the hallway while opened. The hallway starts at an acute angle on the right side of the door while looking from outside and opens up towards the left side. The angle that is.
    This one permits access easily.
    Today I installed a door in a triplex and 4 windows in a new construction.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

At this stage in life, an option. No pre-built outside potential shop structure I assume?

No shop at present there.

The church would give me 1600 sq ft of shop. The area we would live in would be 1900 sq ft. In the basement of that, it’s divided into sections and I could easily take 5 of the rooms and set them up to let. Lots of construction crews around looking for places to stay. I could get $350/week easily. That’s $1750/week. It’s a thought any way and would still leave the chapel empty. Lots of thoughts with that. Maybe let local artists use it to show their work. Perhaps a weekly jam with local musicians. Who knows? Maybe start a cult…lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 2,766 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.452 seconds