dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 941 through 960 (of 1,593 total)
  • Author

2nd day in a row my boss came to see me , he was interesting in knowing if I decided to take the package !! I said yes 😲🤔🤔 poor guy , I thought he was going to pass out ,

I talked to him for easily 40 minutes about the topic and my options ,

He said that they really are not ready for me to leave , only because they have been sitting on the option to get someone else in to get trained , I am the only one who can understand the complex and outdated system , that plus who actually knows what I actually do ,

If we didn’t have a younger daughter , things would be much easier , it’s just that we have great benefits plus other things ,

Maybe I should have said that differently , if our daughter was older than 18 I might have accepted the offer ,

Mind you , lots of people in the shop are speculating that there will be a second round of offers from the company later on this spring ,

I have lots to think about

I told my boss , if the company wanted to hire me as a consultant /trainer teacher , on a definite shorter work week if I accepted the offer , I might be willing to accommodate them , going to be an interesting few months.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Now that I have the new bench grinder I decided it was a good time to put a camber on the blade of my #5.

JDO that blade came out really nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Finally dug the sign-carving table out of storage. As this should be a relatively quick project for the carvings (just a couple nameplates for the grandson’s fishing rod holders) I just laid the table on top of the table saw.

Didn’t really want to take the time to put the frame for the carving table together just to have to take it apart again in a few days.

My god I haven’t seen one of those in years , my friend use to use that daily , making signs for all over the plant and shop departments , pretty cool

Looking forward to seeing your finished product 👌👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Now that I have the new bench grinder I decided it was a good time to put a camber on the blade of my #5. I use it as a fore plane. Thick shavings, open mouth. The 10″ radius of the camber now makes it’s transition to a fore plane complete. There isn’t much that looks better than a freshly sharpened blade.

Looks good. I need to get better understanding of hand planes. I wish I lived closer to you Jim.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

2nd day in a row my boss came to see me , he was interesting in knowing if I decided to take the package !! I said yes 😲🤔🤔 poor guy , I thought he was going to pass out ,

He said that they really are not ready for me to leave , only because they have been sitting on the option to get someone else in to get trained , I am the only one who can understand the complex and outdated system , that plus who actually knows what I actually do ,

If we didn’t have a younger daughter , things would be much easier , it’s just that we have great benefits plus other things ,

Maybe I should have said that differently , if our daughter was older than 18 I might have accepted the offer ,

Mind you , lots of people in the shop are speculating that there will be a second round of offers from the company later on this spring ,

I told my boss , if the company wanted to hire me as a consultant /trainer teacher , on a definite shorter work week if I accepted the offer , I might be willing to accommodate them , going to be an interesting few months.

Why would the company offer you package if they are not ready for you leave. Sounds like poor planning on your part.

Hopefully it all works out for you.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I wish I lived closer to you Jim.

There doesn’t seem to be any shortage of work up here. Supplies? That’s a different story. That ought to be developing over the next few years though. With the mines expanding and new ones opening, plus everything else there will be a big demand for services and such here. Traditional booming mining area. Oh, and zero Covid in this little area too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Why would the company offer you package if they are not ready for you leave. Sounds like poor planning on your part.

Hopefully it all works out for you.

They are offering early retirement because they are expecting a lay off , and if people nearing retirement are ready to leave , that would leave less people to lay off ,
    Why is it poor planning on my behalf 🤷‍♂️
    It’s the company who is offering the package , I’m not in charge of training or finding a replacement for me ,
    I’m sure it will be ok , lots of things to think about.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Finally dug the sign-carving table out of storage. As this should be a relatively quick project for the carvings (just a couple nameplates for the grandson’s fishing rod holders) I just laid the table on top of the table saw.

Didn’t really want to take the time to put the frame for the carving table together just to have to take it apart again in a few days.

My god I haven’t seen one of those in years , my friend use to use that daily , making signs for all over the plant and shop departments , pretty cool

Yeah, it is pretty much an antique at this point – but it still works. Should have the lettering done this weekend, then just a matter of putting the pieces together using threaded inserts so the racks can be broken down for shipping.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah, it is pretty much an antique at this point – but it still works.

Nothing the matter with an antique tool that still works. That is a really neat tool and probably fun to operate.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I wish I lived closer to you Jim.

There doesn’t seem to be any shortage of work up here. Supplies? That’s a different story. That ought to be developing over the next few years though. With the mines expanding and new ones opening, plus everything else there will be a big demand for services and such here. Traditional booming mining area. Oh, and zero Covid in this little area too.

LOL!!
    As much as I love the north country. I can’t see moving any time soon. I know the mines pay well.
    Wifey does need a job!

Greg

Yeah, it is pretty much an antique at this point – but it still works. Should have the lettering done this weekend, then just a matter of putting the pieces together using threaded inserts so the racks can be broken down for shipping.

Haha yeah , if it still works nothing wrong with that , that’s a good idea with the threaded insert , looking forward to seeing how it turns out 👌👊

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I put the chapel up for rent today. Got a photographer that might want it for a day already. Time to get some ROI happening. My contractor backed out on renting it due to circumstances beyond his control. I advertised it available by the day/week/or month.

I put the chapel up for rent today. Got a photographer that might want it for a day already. Time to get some ROI happening. My contractor backed out on renting it due to circumstances beyond his control. I advertised it available by the day/week/or month.

That’s good news Jim , hopefully it gets rented 🤞

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I put the chapel up for rent today.

That’s a nice space. Hopefully it starts generating an income.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

That’s too bad your contractor backed out. That is good you might have someone else interesting renting your place. This could also get the word out you are renting your place.
    That is a great idea making making your space available by day/week/or the month.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What is included in the chapel rental? Is there living space, bathroom, kitchen etc… included with this for someone to live in, or is this a commercial rental for someone to rent for a meeting or gathering for a day at a time?

Seems like it might work for having dance classes, yoga class, social gatherings, what about renting it back to the church group that sold it to you?

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

What is included in the chapel rental?

A heated room with electricity. That’s about it. I have had suggestions where I posted it about dance studio, tai chi, etc. So there is interest.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What about political town hall meetings?

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

That’s excellent Doc. I would imagine it would be nice to have it rented out on a monthly basis, but any income is…. income. 🙂

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Update…. On a whim I contacted Paul Lemiski at Legacy Lumber. I told him where I was and that I have 1100 sq ft room, what would it take to become an affiliate dealer up here? Well, his partner got back to me and we are going to arrange a phone call to chat.

There is no where around that deals hardwood. The only hardwood that grows around here is birch and poplar. Too far north for much else. Actually, outside the regular building centre there is not much for woodworkers at all. So, I may just check this out and dip my toes into becoming a hardwood dealer if the circumstances work out.

Viewing 20 posts - 941 through 960 (of 1,593 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.665 seconds