dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 2,498 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Are you working from a punch list?

No, no list. I just get up in the morning and have a slow coffee and think about what is my priority for the day. Now that we have the laundry and shower in place we are pretty much fully functional, so I can slow down. I even take a day off here and there, but can’t help doing something small even on those days. I guess the biggest thing to do right now is put up some Christmas lights outside. So, as you can see, priorities are no longer of the “we need” category, but the “we want” category.

We have the roofing guy coming soon to cover the part we are living in with a metal roof and facia. He is going to give us an estimate on windows. I have another guy already working on an estimate too. Then it will be a bathroom downstairs so we can start renting out rooms and get this place generating some income.

It’s crazy busy up here with one gold mine expanding, another opening, plus a large install expanding the electric grid around here. Motel rooms and accommodations can’t be found. I think 2 different companies are installing bunk houses, each to house 250 workers. For sale signs don’t even go on lawns around here. As soon as someone contacts a realtor, they already have a list of buyers on hand. Constant ads on the local buy and sell page for people looking for places to buy too. I think we got in just under the wire and we’re hoping to cash in with providing some inexpensive (to start) rooms. Once it starts generating some cash we will invest it back into the place to improve and upgrade it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Dang JDO, sounds like you bought just in time. Sure hope you plans work out, be great to have a producing income property.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

It has been a busy little mini vacation for me lol. Last day of work was Wednesday, off until Monday so been trying to tackle a lot of projects.

Cleaned out one of the pole buildings (primarily stuff that was left there when I moved in) so I can park my riding mower, my tractor, and tractor attachments in there. Got all the junk gone, just have a pile of metal scrap that needs taken to the scrapyard…that will probably get loaded into a trailer today or tomorrow.

Then was having well issues…On Monday the pump started working intermittently so I called the well guys. The old pump was toast because the well shaft started to cave in just above the pump so it was sucking in dirt and was mostly seized. For the time being, they were able to raise the new pump above the collapse – still in plenty of water…pump is 103 feet down and has 36 feet of water above it. But with the collapse this is a temp fix…Planning on having a new well drilled this summer.

Sounds like a busy vacation lol
    Good thing you still have water , that’s pretty deep down , how will they go about changing it do they have to go into the water I assume , what will the cost of the New one be approximately.

Fixed a mistake today.

I noticed in the utility room under the bathroom it looked like there had been water leaking. Thought it may have been just from me working in there but it was the faucet for the shower after further looking. I had to take the escutcheon plate off the faucet and make a slightly larger opening behind it to fix the leak. The faucet has feed for both a tub and shower, I am only using the shower side of it. I threaded the cap on the tub feed side but forgot to put in the O ring and I didn’t tighten it either. Job got finished in pretty short order, but again, cutting into those $450 fibreglass panels is not something I would want to mess up. I used the OMT and opened it up just enough to do the job. I think I know how a proctologist works now.

Good thing you found it sooner than later Jim , I can’t imagine what it would be like if it was leaking inside the walls before you found it

Apparently the Hockey stand needed hockey sock hanging clips, so I modified an old pant/skirt hanger to have it donate the required clips …

Will

Doobie

How close are you for having closed in for the winter?

Not there yet, athough today I got the rafters installed on the longer high roof and also finished doing the temp scaffolding so I can sheath/clad the yard side of the shed at some point once I have the roof on which is the primary focus right now. If I can get a roof that is 98% sealed and clad on the sides on this before the season really ends, I’ll be ecstatic! But as I said before, it’s not looking good weather wise.

I also put in some short studs that were still needed on the wall that connects the two roofs that runs accross the short width of the structure. I want to put some windows in there come spring, but I have to custom build something with plexi-glass for largely esthetic appeal as there is no stock stuff that can work for that.

I can work on the remaining side sheating work in close to freezing temps off that temporary scaffolding I finished building today at the end of the day as it was getting dark which I made a lot wider for comfort than the first one I built for the greenbelt side a few days ago, but once real freezing comes along, roof top work becomes very dangerous although I did devise a safety slide off board at the edge of the roof offset to its edge. I’m still a high end daredevil to some degree, but not stupid about it. At least I hope not! 😤

Kinda gets me freaked out a bit at times as I am getting too old for this stuff as a DIYer. But I always try to think things out beforehand and be safe enough in execution.

Today I had my teenage son helping me out for the first time in a long time off of scaffolding and teaching him carefully how to move around and such so he didn’t hurt himself. I don’t want any helper person doing anything that would hurt them.

Tomorrow is gonna be starting to put up the double ply half inch sheats for the long roof with my son’s help. I still have to cut out three more rafters for the lower short roof from my template rafter and install them before clading that lower roof, but for now, I’m gonna stampede on the bigger roof which is a lot more difficult to deal with as the weather turns for more for winter.

Discovered I made an error with how many rafters to pre-cut for the higher roof. Made one too many. Oh well… Just ended up adding it in where I know a half sheat ply would apply every other course. Can’t hurt. What else am I gonna do with it?

It was a very good day today. Not like three days ago when I spent endless efforts just so I could apply three pieces at the end of it all after having to build a temp scaffold for one day’s work more or less just to tear it all down the next day. While you work all day, just three critical pieces kinda bugs you as an end result for so much work for one day.

Having to build that temp scaffolding on the greenbelt side that was absolutely necessary there not only served to tell me I needed to build one for what I thought was the ‘easy’ side facing my inner yard on the opposite side of the structure that I was thinking I could do off of a ladder or in trying to place my Baker scaffolding there on uneven ground which wouldn’t get me high enough up for some parts or it, it will also served to add the roof sheathing on the upper roof slants and also to have someone help me judge how far my ply sheating is overhanging for the roof sheathing.

Hope I’m not too racked from today’s work which involved a lot of up and down work and weird strenuous girations to take on tomorrow which is the last foreseable decent weather day in our long term forecast.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Then it will be a bathroom downstairs so we can start renting out rooms and get this place generating some income.

Now I get it renting rooms what a great idea a cash generator. Hope you’ll still have room for a shop. Look I can tell you from personal experience the guys that work at mining camps most of them have “issues”. They ain’t the cream of the crop. Most of them end up there because the employer tolerates as long as they show up and do their job. Figure out a way to screen your renters. Having a family somewhere else in Canada (like wife kids a house) helps most single guys like I said have issues.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

GTokley wrote:
    How close are you for having closed in for the winter?

Not there yet, athough today I got the rafters installed on the longer high roof and also finished doing the temp scaffolding so I can sheath/clad the yard side of the shed at some point once I have the roof on which is the primary focus right now. If I can get a roof that is 98% sealed and clad on the sides on this before the season really ends, I’ll be ecstatic! But as I said before, it’s not looking good weather wise.

That’s too bad. Maybe the nasty weather will hold off and you will get it finished.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We have the roofing guy coming soon to cover the part we are living in with a metal roof and facia. He is going to give us an estimate on windows. I have another guy already working on an estimate too. Then it will be a bathroom downstairs so we can start renting out rooms and get this place generating some income.

I am sure that will be nice to get a new roof. One less thing to worry about.

Will you be replacing all your windows?

We planned on replacing 2 of our windows. We got the estimate and have decide to put that job on hold due wifey losing her job. We have electrician coming soon to update hydro service and panel. I thought he would have been here sooner.

It will be nice to make some money from renting rooms workers in the area.

Greg

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Good thing you still have water , that’s pretty deep down , how will they go about changing it do they have to go into the water I assume , what will the cost of the New one be approximately.

The estimate they gave me for drilling a new well is $9,200…that is assuming it has to be around the same depth as the existing well. Deeper equals more money.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Will you be replacing all your windows?

Not all of them, just the ones on the side we are living in to start, plus 2 entry doors. That’s 22 or so windows which will be a big enough expense. We will worry about the chapel side at a later date.

The estimate they gave me for drilling a new well is $9,200…that is assuming it has to be around the same depth as the existing well. Deeper equals more money.

😲 Wow , hopefully it goes well and no extra costs.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Puttering around with some more destruction in the shop. More like disassembling. Not much motivation today, so just biding my time, taking things apart and sorting out which wire goes to which breaker as I find live ones.

Puttering around with some more destruction in the shop. More like disassembling. Not much motivation today, so just biding my time, taking things apart and sorting out which wire goes to which breaker as I find live ones.

Sometimes those are the better days , not feeling pressure to get things done ,
    Hope you take some time for yourself Jim , get out and get some breaks with your better half , and spend some quality time with your little pooch , sometimes you need to take a few steps away to kinda recharge , or clear your mind.

Good luck with that. 🙏❤️

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Hope you take some time for yourself Jim , get out and get some breaks with your better half , and spend some quality time with your little pooch , sometimes you need to take a few steps away to kinda recharge , or clear your mind.

The dog will not be denied. She is insistent on her walks. Stopped and talked with a couple of neighbours on our walk today. One moved here in 1963, the other in 1966. Lots of older folks around that are long time residents with interesting stories. Waiting for a sunny evening to go out and get a photo of the sunset over the water.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

One moved here in 1963, the other in 1966. Lots of older folks around that are long time residents with interesting stories.

That’s great you getting to meet some people. Always nice to hear them stories.

I have yet to meet any of my neighbor’s. I know Covid doesn’t help. I have lived here pretty close to month and owned the place 2 months. It has been a busy 2 months for me. I have always been on the go.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I know Covid doesn’t help

There isn’t any around here. The closest case is in Sault Saint Marie which is over a 2 hour drive. Even there it has only been a handful of cases.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I know Covid doesn’t help

There isn’t any around here. The closest case is in Sault Saint Marie which is over a 2 hour drive. Even there it has only been a handful of cases.

That’s good.

There are 31 case in my area. Covid is the reason I haven’t worked in 3 weeks. No one here in my home has it. We all have Covid related symptoms.

Greg

The dog will not be denied. She is insistent on her walks. Stopped and talked with a couple of neighbours on our walk today. One moved here in 1963, the other in 1966. Lots of older folks around that are long time residents with interesting stories. Waiting for a sunny evening to go out and get a photo of the sunset over the water.

I am sure she’s not denied lol
    63 WOW that’s a great year 😊 oh yeah that’s the year I was born lol

It definitely sounds like a good spot , and yeah you guys probably got in at the right time ,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s 22 or so windows which will be a big enough expense.

That’s a lot of windows to replace = big job. Hope you can get to it soon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 2,498 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.615 seconds