dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,382 total)
  • Author

Looks like a bad day to drop off some scrap today ,. 🙄 To late to back out , already a few cars behind me

Doobie

Did some more trim work on the shed build II yesterday, but once I got the news listening to the radio that we are in for our first dumping of snow, I spent hours getting a whole bunch of things covered or put inside. My main shed is a bit of a packed mess right now as a result.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have also thought about installing a wood pellet stove as back up

If the power goes out a pellet stove won’t work. It needs the feed auger to keep it going.

Yeah I know this. We do have 2500 Watt generator that will come to the rescue. I am more worried about the furnace dieing and have no heat for several days until a new furnace can be installed. A wood stove is nice. But it is alot of work.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Looks like a bad day to drop off some scrap today ,. 🙄 To late to back out , already a few cars behind me

Looks like my day yesterday….. a “quick” trip to the bank and HD turned out to be not so quick

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

didnt do much everything thought about working on the trailer but didnt lol

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I took a glorius long hot shower today. Man, did that feel good.

I put a glass shelf in the shower, in the wrong place according to my wife…lol. Most of the day just lounged about enjoying that nothing HAS to get done now as far as functioning and having some semblance of a normal life. Lot’s to do, but nothing too critical.

Took a drive out a few miles and visited a young lady who is getting her own sawmill going. She is not ready to start selling to any degree yet but I chatted with her for a bit and told her I would be needing some materials and would likely be a customer. She’s working her butt off at a job and doing this besides, she looks to be only about 20 something years old. Good to see that kind of work ethic in young people. I was impressed.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

We got a suddenly unexpected decent dumping of snow today.

Wet snow here, but last nite after hearing about it around the dinner hour, I had to spend a few hours barricading and removing stuff I keep under a summer only designed 10X20 summer metal frame canopy I have used for years that I leave its extra strong secured frame I jerry rigged up over the winter, but remove its covering canopy for the winter.

The original canopy cover is actually toast for the most part, dried out and fraying and looking at it this year after two strong wind storms is beyond my typical repairs each year of Gorilla duct tape to patch tears or reinforce corners. Last year I fashioned a heavy duty tarp over the old one using a ton of bungies and it keeps everything dry underneath it.

As an aside, one thing I learned about the labels of tarp sizes is that while it says it is 10X20, that’s the tarps measurememts before they seam the ends anf add the gromet holes. My 10×20 tarp is actually about 4-6 inches shy in actual width and length, but it works well enough for this task. Wish they had a 21 X 11 tarp though for this applocation….that would have been perfect for this task.

Seeing as there are likely no snow storms in the forecast and I didn’t have the time to strip it down last nite for the season, today, I spent my time every few hours today bouncing off the snow off its top from the underside using a wide sweep shop broom to mitigate its potential disaster collapse of its tarped roof entirely. I actually need to keep this seasonal cover/canopy in place a bit longer if I can also. It’s somewhat integral to getting my second shed build to the point where it is all sealed up and I can put stuff in it for the winter….if I can.

I know I’m running out of days to do this before we may get into actual real steady winter where I can’t work on this, especially where it comes to roofing which becomes very dangerous in freezing conditions.

I worked off the snow periodically a few times today, and finally after a day of wet slushy heavy snow here, it is finally turning to rain which the canopy should be fine dealing with. Just glad I’m near the lakeshore here of Lake Ontario, as the summer warmed waters off the lake helped keep this snow here to a minimum. A dozen miles north of me, instead of 10 cms of snow, I could easily have been looking at double that.

Didn’t even bother shovelling our driveway as this snow will all be gone by tomorrow, but that canopy starts to get ugly with anything more than an inch of snow on it, never mind it being wet and slushy.

Pic below is from late May this year when I first set back up for this summer.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

I took a glorius long hot shower today. Man, did that feel good.

I put a glass shelf in the shower, in the wrong place according to my wife…lol. Most of the day just lounged about enjoying that nothing HAS to get done now as far as functioning and having some semblance of a normal life. Lot’s to do, but nothing too critical.

Took a drive out a few miles and visited a young lady who is getting her own sawmill going. She is not ready to start selling to any degree yet but I chatted with her for a bit and told her I would be needing some materials and would likely be a customer. She’s working her butt off at a job and doing this besides, she looks to be only about 20 something years old. Good to see that kind of work ethic in young people. I was impressed.

JDO, good to hear things are somewhat getting back to normal for you.
    Nice having the possibility of a mill that close.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Went to HD to pick up supplies for the rental apartment. I also picked up a new bell chime for our place.

I installed the door bell chime after dinner last night. My youngest daughter keeps asking me when I was going to get it working. I temporary hooked it up and didn’t work. So I tried replacing the push button. After I replaced the bottom the chime worked perfect. I had to add extension to the wires so I could hook up the new chime. I have hook up the push button to the side door yet.

Greg

Looks like my day yesterday….. a “quick” trip to the bank and HD turned out to be not so quick

Hahaha yeah , days like this are sometimes normal lol , hope you took care of the things you needed to get done ,

@JimDaddyO

Hahaha I’m sure you enjoyed that shower , you definitely deserve to have days off like that , you have been working hard this past few months , between getting the other house up to par , and with the move and all , plus the work you have done so far in the new house , hats off to you , hope that glass shelving had a beverage on it while you were in the shower 😅🍻

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Picked some vinyl plank flooring from Rona yesterday for rental apartment. I hope to install it on Friday. Getting closer to finish line now.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Played electrician today. Got some of the 8′ flourescents down, boxes installed and LED lights to take their place. Put a dimmer switch on one set in the hallway.

Doobie

More progress on Shed Build II.

Challenging from the outset with how to go about sheathing a difficult to deal with upper side area where slant walls were built to hold roof overhangs for two slant roofs of this design I went with, but I got it figured out and set about the task at hand.

Had to devise some temp scaffolding to put in place the wall sheating on the areas that have the slant walls on the fence side that faces the greenbelt behind me. There was no other realistic way to do this otherwise. Would have been nice to do from above before the overhangs were put in place, but there were issues on that method also. This is the way it had to go for me.

Worked solo all day as my helper buddy is unavailable til next week and my teenaged son was in school. Today, my helper buddy who is off due to Covid would have been standing around a bit too much at times watching me anyways, which I try to avoid days like that as he comes from the other side of Toronto to help me, so it was good he couldn’t come over today.

I was lucky with cutting the angled pieces of sheathing needed. All were spot on for a first time fit. Thank goodness, as it makes me nervous working on temp scaffolding like this with no real fall safety barriers in place. The least time I have to work off of it, the better.

You have to have your mental safety radar on super high when you’re not used to this kind of work of in my case as a DIYer, haven’t done such similar in years. Gets me tense at times. It’s when you have a difficult struggle up there on something that is unexpected you let your guard down and one bad mis-step, you’re earth bound for a nasty result. Don’t need that. The drop from there would likely cripple or kill me.

I also worked late in the day before the sun disappeared on the proper pinning of the lower end of the roof overhang which wasn’t properly supported til now. Didn’t know exactly how I was gonna execute that, but once up there and looking at how things were, I got it figured out.

There will be no edge dropping of that overhang at its low corner roof point for sure now. I basically ‘double’ secured it in a sense the way I did it. Basically redundant harnessing applications which one of them served double duty to make a fastening edge to screw on the last small piece of side sheathing I needed for the slant wall on that side. Corner ever droops, it’ll be because of the Jolly Green Giant is using that corner to tie his shoelaces, lol!

Gonna finish the sheathing on the lower roofs angled support wall tomorrow and move on to do the other side although that should be a lot easier in some ways as I don’t have a fence there two and a half feet from the wall of the structure, never mind the uneven muddy ground on the other side where I had to set up that temp scaffolding.

Once these overhang roof support walls are clad with sheathing, it’s time to install the rest of the rafters and then get going on the doubled roof sheathing. I’ve got three workeable work days ahead right now, and then after that the weather gets really unagreable for this kind of work for the forecasted foreseable future. Wish me luck!

I must add, that it is days like today that I wish I was a bonafide experienced builder/framer/contractor. What could I have done done different than to necessitate all this effort with the temp scaffolding along a narrowly accessible side of this build and/or not have had to do such?

I figure in the spring when it comes to putting the siding on I will have to gerry-rig another temp scaffolding to get my Hardie plank siding installed also, but I do see how it is possible already, just more work with a different temp scaffold method for that task.

The temp scaffold I built today may add to being beneficial when I go to deal with the roof sheathing and/or shingling, so I’ll leave it it as is for now.

@doobie well it’s coming along , good job on the temporary scaffolding ,
    With all the shed builds , this should give you plenty of storage , at times I wish we had more sheds for storage.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Fixed a mistake today.

I noticed in the utility room under the bathroom it looked like there had been water leaking. Thought it may have been just from me working in there but it was the faucet for the shower after further looking. I had to take the escutcheon plate off the faucet and make a slightly larger opening behind it to fix the leak. The faucet has feed for both a tub and shower, I am only using the shower side of it. I threaded the cap on the tub feed side but forgot to put in the O ring and I didn’t tighten it either. Job got finished in pretty short order, but again, cutting into those $450 fibreglass panels is not something I would want to mess up. I used the OMT and opened it up just enough to do the job. I think I know how a proctologist works now.

Doobie

doobie well it’s coming along , good job on the temporary scaffolding…

I took it down late this afternoon after finishing that side it was on, and now I’m erecting nearly the same set up on the other long side. Realized the time spent to do that will speed things up on that side overall anyways.

They’re maybe saying listening to the radio this aft that we may be in for a big snowfall sometime in the next week or so. That might shut me down for the season. Reality is starting to set in that maybe I won’t get the roof on before the season takes hold for good.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Played electrician today. Got some of the 8′ flourescents down, boxes installed and LED lights to take their place. Put a dimmer switch on one set in the hallway.

Putting in lights is nice JDO. Step by step you seem to be improving the house. Are you working from a punch list?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Fixed a mistake today.

I noticed in the utility room under the bathroom it looked like there had been water leaking. Thought it may have been just from me working in there but it was the faucet for the shower after further looking. I had to take the escutcheon plate off the faucet and make a slightly larger opening behind it to fix the leak. The faucet has feed for both a tub and shower, I am only using the shower side of it. I threaded the cap on the tub feed side but forgot to put in the O ring and I didn’t tighten it either. Job got finished in pretty short order, but again, cutting into those $450 fibreglass panels is not something I would want to mess up. I used the OMT and opened it up just enough to do the job. I think I know how a proctologist works now.

Wow you are lucky caught that leak before got worse or it made a big mess.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

They’re maybe saying listening to the radio this aft that we may be in for a big snowfall sometime in the next week or so. That might shut me down for the season. Reality is starting to set in that maybe I won’t get the roof on before the season takes hold for good.

I did see the long range forecast. That will really suck if we get a big dump of snow. It will be too bad that if it shuts you down for the season.

How close are you for having closed in for the winter?

I hope we don’t get a big dump of snow as I still have few jobs I need to do outside.

Greg

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

It has been a busy little mini vacation for me lol. Last day of work was Wednesday, off until Monday so been trying to tackle a lot of projects.

Cleaned out one of the pole buildings (primarily stuff that was left there when I moved in) so I can park my riding mower, my tractor, and tractor attachments in there. Got all the junk gone, just have a pile of metal scrap that needs taken to the scrapyard…that will probably get loaded into a trailer today or tomorrow.

Then was having well issues…On Monday the pump started working intermittently so I called the well guys. The old pump was toast because the well shaft started to cave in just above the pump so it was sucking in dirt and was mostly seized. For the time being, they were able to raise the new pump above the collapse – still in plenty of water…pump is 103 feet down and has 36 feet of water above it. But with the collapse this is a temp fix…Planning on having a new well drilled this summer.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,382 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.821 seconds