dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 2,498 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

As had been mentioned and queried to any for feedback a few weeks ago in getting a response from Kurt Welkers on this to confirm my concerns in regards to how I planned to more robustly build my shed build under a large Crimson Norway Maple that it is situated under to avert major damage from falling branches in deciding to use larger than required roof rafters and double layering half inch ply roof sheathing, we saw this today that had fallen from my said maple tree this past weekend during a wind storm that was gusting up to 110 km/h (66 mph) that had fallen into the greenbelt behind my property from my tree.

From the pic, it may not look very significant, but it is a lot bigger and heavier than it looks having lopped off similar sized branches weeks ago to clear away branches for the shed build in question. I’m taking this pic over 30 feet away standing on scaffolding inside my shed build.

Just glad this puppy didn’t fall on my temporary summer canopy I’ve got a pile of equipment under of I’m still in use of or onto my rear yard crappy plastic fence – which I regret buying/using from over 15 years ago. It would have definitely impacted either badly or disastruously. I got lucky on that one.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh and another trip to the store for parts…lol…

All those trips to the store will let you get know your neighbors in the area. Glad your shower is working.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Last three days I replaced a section of a wood fence for a rental. I didn’t get a permit for it. Normally I would, but the lag time for the approval is now up to five weeks! At the end of the day I applied a vinegar solution on the exterior side to give it a more weathered and aged look so it won’t stand out in case code enforcement drives by.

Nice touch on the vinegar treatment. I like it.

Never knew that about using vinegar to age it. Neat!

I have used it alittle.
    It works with the tannins in the wood. So you will get different results with different woods.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

@Miamicuse WOW that’s great , I can see what you mean about the roots , that’s a great tip and idea. The fence looks great 👍

As had been mentioned and queried to any for feedback a few weeks ago in getting a response from Kurt Welkers on this to confirm my concerns in regards to how I planned to more robustly build my shed build under a large Crimson Norway Maple that it is situated under to avert major damage from falling branches in deciding to use larger than required roof rafters and double layering half inch ply roof sheathing, we saw this today that had fallen from my said maple tree this past weekend during a wind storm that was gusting up to 110 km/h (66 mph) that had fallen into the greenbelt behind my property from my tree.

From the pic, it may not look very significant, but it is a lot bigger and heavier than it looks having lopped off similar sized branches weeks ago to clear away branches for the shed build in question. I’m taking this pic over 30 feet away standing on scaffolding inside my shed build.

Just glad this puppy didn’t fall on my temporary summer canopy I’ve got a pile of equipment under of I’m still in use of or onto my rear yard crappy plastic fence – which I regret buying/using from over 15 years ago. It would have definitely impacted either badly or disastruously. I got lucky on that one.

That’s a decent size of branch that could have done damage , nice wood fence

Doobie

….nice wood fence

It’s not a wood fence there in that pic. It’s a plastic fence that is installed on 4×4 PT posts made by a now defunct company called Eon. They went bellie up about 10-12 years ago a couple of years after I installed it. They were mostly into plastic decking.

There are no spare parts for it out there anywhere. I even spoke to the trustee/receiver of their bankruptcy many years ago and they said even the molds have been destroyed. I’ll never buy man-made stuff like that again. Wood never goes bankrupt.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I’ll never buy man-made stuff like that again. Wood never goes bankrupt.

On the other hand if one day you decide to sell your house you can advertise “one of a kind fence like no other in the world custom made by long retired plastic artists at Eon lost art never to be duplicated…” LOL!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

So far I have got the last shower panel installed. Nerve wracking cutting the holes in a $450 – $500 panel for the shower head and controls to come through. You only get one shot at it. I must have measured it 3 different ways. Happy to announce that it came out pretty good. I did have to take it off the wall once to adjust the depth of the elbow that the shower head attaches to. The instructions are very convoluted and for retro fitting it in, not new construction. All the measurements they gave were from a surface that didn’t exist yet, and even those were sketchy AF.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Got a few minutes in the shop this morning to finish up the hidden drawer installed inside the bottom section of the main drawers.
    One slow step at a time…. need more shop time…

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

YES! Should be ready for a try out tomorrow! All in, right up to the caulking done. Taking some time off now. Then I will be thinking about the woodwork/trim out for it. The important thing is, it’s functional.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

YES! Should be ready for a try out tomorrow!

Looks like it came out pretty nice. Good job

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

ES! Should be ready for a try out tomorrow!

I am sure your looking forward trying it out.

Looks good Jim.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Nerve wracking cutting the holes in a $450 – $500 panel for the shower head and controls to come through. You only get one shot at it. I must have measured it 3 different ways. Happy to announce that it came out pretty good. I did have to take it off the wall

I have to install tub surround in my old place and I am feeling the same way about doing it.

Greg

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

If the rain ever stops, I need to get up on the roof of the house and clean the chimney for my wood burner. If it wasn’t a metal roof, I would just do it in the rain lol.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

If it wasn’t a metal roof, I would just do it in the rain lol.

Yes might not be a good idea to do it the rain. Is the pitch of the roof steep?

Greg

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Yeah, steep enough that I won’t attempt it while it is wet. A 6/12 pitch

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yeah, steep enough that I won’t attempt it while it is wet. A 6/12 pitch

I don’t blame you. Yeah 6/12 is steep enough.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I need to get up on the roof of the house and clean the chimney for my wood burner. If it wasn’t a metal roof, I would just do it in the rain lol.

We ought to be getting our metal roof installed sometime this week. We are thinking of a wood burner in the future too. I told my wife that when I install it the thimble will go throught the wall to a T in the chimney. The chimney will go up and at the bottom of the T will be a cap I can remove to clean the chimney from the ground.

Normally I like no bends in a chimney, but as I am not good with heights, and the roof is pretty high, plus it will be metal roof, I figured I could make a consession to making maintenance easier.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We are thinking of a wood burner in the future too. I told my wife that when I install it the thimble will go throught the wall to a T in the chimney. The chimney will go up and at the bottom of the T will be a cap I can remove to clean the chimney from the ground.

I like this idea of a chimney for the reason you mentioned. My ex BIL had chimney like this and gave him hand cleaning his chimney. It was nice to do it all from the ground.

I have always wanted a wood burning stove. Now we have a place with a old wood burning stove and chimney installed. We are undecided what to do. The stove here would need to be replaced with a new stove. I have also thought about installing a wood pellet stove as back up if we have any issues with furnace again.

We found out that our gas furnace is pretty old and is on borrowed time. Wifey had a issue with it when I was away. It was pretty simple fix. But we had no heat all day.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have also thought about installing a wood pellet stove as back up

If the power goes out a pellet stove won’t work. It needs the feed auger to keep it going.

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 2,498 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.766 seconds