dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 1,924 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

More work on the shed’s roof build today. More tomorrow again too. Some areas take a long time. I have one more rafter overhang to pre-build and things will really speed up from there.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Finished up the plumbing for the laundry room today. The electrician comes tomorrow. Vent the dryer and we have laundry facilities.

I learned 2 things today.
    1) I thing the word “plumber” comes from the latin word “plumus” which means “you need another adaptor”
    2) The person who designed LG dryers and the way you make the vent come out the side instead of the back must have been a gynocologist. Your only access to do the job is by reaching through the original hole the vent comes out of the back.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

the word “plumber” comes from the latin word “plumus” which means “you need another adaptor”

LOL ain’t that the truth. Nothing seems to work in plumbing without an adapter.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

the word “plumber” comes from the latin word “plumus” which means “you need another adaptor”

LOL ain’t that the truth. Nothing seems to work in plumbing without an adapter.

Lol , thanks for the information and the chuckle Jim lol

After work my friend brought over some floating floor he needed to rip down ,

Also I made a adapter for my paint extension pole from an old roller to use as an extension hand to place the Christmas lights outside on the big 🌲 in front of our house

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

More work on the shed’s roof build today. More tomorrow again too. Some areas take a long time. I have one more rafter overhang to pre-build and things will really speed up from there.

Are building the roof on this shed the same as your other shed?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I learned 2 things today.
    1) I thing the word “plumber” comes from the latin word “plumus” which means “you need another adaptor”
    2) The

Very true.

2) The person who designed LG dryers and the way you make the vent come out the side instead of the back must have been a gynocologist. Your only access to do the job is by reaching through the original hole the vent comes out of the back.

My

It seems like stuff looks better better on computer screen while designing it.

Greg

Doobie

No, it is not in that it’s a douboe slant roof. Not sure what they are really called, but it’s basically two rooftops that meet at the same support riser except one is parked against the riser ajd the higher one stretches out over the top of the riser coming from the other side.

It looks like this.

4dab296d6a6694b8b1f7d6e378e512b9

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

No, it is not in that it’s a douboe slant roof. Not sure what they are really called, but it’s basically two rooftops that meet at the same support riser except one is parked against the riser ajd the higher one stretches out over the top of the riser coming from the other side.

It looks like this.

4dab296d6a6694b8b1f7d6e378e512b9

Ok. That interesting design. Not sure if I have seen this design for. Look forward to seeing it when it is done. I hope you get shed done before the white stuff falls.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Got another cheapy wardrobe assembled today. Then installed an octagon box so I could replace the bedroom light. I put in an LED that I found on sale with a dimmer. Not the final light for the room, but much better than the 8′ flourescent that was in there.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Continued working on a Timbertech deck. Good sized deck, around 15’x40′, stairs with intermediary landing…gonna be pretty sweet when it is finished.

27270365367277 by Chad McDade[/url], on Flickr

27270365367323 by Chad McDade[/url], on Flickr

27270365374011 by Chad McDade[/url], on Flickr
    27270365375235 by Chad McDade[/url], on Flickr

27270365405076 by Chad McDade[/url], on Flickr

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice work on the deck Chad.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Thanks, Ron!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Doobie

No real Shed II work today other than experimenting with sanding the rough edges of some scrap PVC up to 240 grit for some trim work concerns. Not sure, but I think a wipe with acetone can smooth it out even more. Gotta try that later or tomorrow.

There’s not a lot of stuff on the internet I can find on with working with PVC trim. There’s a significant price diff between PVC with factory smooth edges just like their flat wide surfaces, and ones that have smooth faces, but rough cut edges. I’m not looking to soften long stretches of rough edges, just where in even using the smooth edge stuff in long exposed runs I have the odd rough cut edges. Where I can, I try to use the cheaper not smooth edge PVC.

Sanding that scrap piece down to 240 grit gets it pretty smooth, but it still has some poring that will show up as dirty over time. Let’s see what the acetone accomplishes beyond sanding.

Might wait til tomorrow so I can do this in my existing work shed with the windows and doors open. Despite having a 5000 watt heater in this shed, it’s too cold tonite to do this with the door and windows all closed.

Question…..are blue nitrile gloves OK for working with acetone? I have other thicker type gloves, but I’m not sure if they are rubber or PVC type gloves and would only melt using acetone on a shop rag. Can’t recall if I’ve worked with acetone before.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

are blue nitrile gloves OK for working with acetone

Nitrile gloves will break down with any ketones so no. Try butyl gloves.

No real Shed II work today other than experimenting with sanding the rough edges of some scrap PVC up to 240 grit for some trim work concerns. Not sure, but I think a wipe with acetone can smooth it out even more. Gotta try that later or tomorrow.

Acetone is a pretty strong solvent and I believe it will eat at any part of the pipe it touches. I would try a polishing compound like I use for plastic pen blanks when I turn them. Here is a link to what I use.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/plastic-polish-high-gloss-mohawk

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Timbertech deck.

That looks nice.

I have been considering a material like that for the landing outside our front door.

Doobie

are blue nitrile gloves OK for working with acetone

Nitrile gloves will break down with any ketones so no. Try butyl gloves.

What are Butyl gloves?

Doobie

After a six pack, what’s gonna really polute me further, Lol!

Still I was careful, so I somewhat went and swabbed some acetone using the rubber gloves below in the pic and gave both an unsanded piece and the the previously sanded to 240 grit piece a quickie swab.

I can’t say any change happened in either.

The blue shop towel I used to swab it seemed to disintegrate a heck of a lot faster than in other normal applications though. I only gave it 3-5 passes each. That stuff is usually pretty tough compared to reg paper towels. I tossed the used part of the blue shop towel out of the shed immediately afterwards, but you can see some remnants in the pics of its disentegration.

I was by no means scrubbing hard at all. Just running the swab from side to side on each piece with no more pressure than you’d do wiping on a poly or a light rub stain.

Again, I think this is just maybe bad internet info about how acetone can semi-melt to a smooth finish PVC trim pieces, This kind of internet misinformation is all too common, sigh!

Might try something more aggressive tomorrow anyways and for a longer period of application with the acetone on it, but this time some old pillow case cotton sheet scraps is what I’m thinking now after this failed effort.

I might not even bother and just do the sanding to deal with the rough exposed ends I’m concerned about being dirt/dust collectors over time in some places that can become unsightly over time.

Obviously the blue shop towel stuff is not right whether it’s because of the roughness of the surface, but seeing it is doing it on what is the sanded surface sample, I’m thinking it’s the acetone affecting that type of apllicator in usimg the blue shop towels for this.

I could also maybe use some of those shop rags you buy in a dispenser box I have, but I think that going straight to cotton may be the best idea if I bother further. Right now I’m not encouraged that acetone does anything at all!

The pre-sanded to 240 (only partially sanded) piece is in the forefront in the pics below. Used my Bosch 1900 LED light to try to enhance the pic a bit better in the last couple of pics below.

Doobie

My cell phone camera with much better resolution typically cah’t post pics here due to file size restrictions, but here are some more pics with my old tablet with some maybe lighting to see all this.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Also I made a adapter for my paint extension pole from an old roller to use as an extension hand to place the Christmas lights outside

That sounds very useful. Good luck with that tree.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 1,924 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.405 seconds