dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 780 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Got my two Baker scaffolding up to start the roofing on my shed build and quickly discovered there were lowish tree branches that my wishful thinking I could avoid having to lop off just had to go.

Spent the better part of the afternoon doing that and salvaging what maple logs I could for future outdoor fires and bundling the rest for the yard waste collection. It was trickier than I anticipated, and I had a segment knock ny chain off my duo 18V Makita 16 inch chainsaw at one point where it was a half hour struggle to get back up and running, but it got done.

Hi guys.

Well, we are 1/2 way. I am sitting in a motel room sipping a coffee using their wi-fi.

Just before we got here I went through a construction zone and the road was really bad. Hit a asphalt edge so hard it took the trailer off the ball. Took about 1/2 hour to get it jacked up and put back on. Not sure if there is any major damage, it made it to the motel. Will be looking at it in the morning before we head out.

Man, that had to be about a 6″ ledge that I hit with it.

Oh man Jim. That’s a tough one , thank God you guys are okay , it probably could have been worse , hopefully it’s not bad , and you can continue on your way.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, we are 1/2 way.

Man that had to be one heck of a jolt to cause the trailer to come off the ball. Hope the rest of the trip goes better.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I got the pot lights done and the stairs painted. Started installing the corner round. The dishwasher & new fridge arrived yesterday. The kitchen cabinet’s are all install except the doors & drawers. I have few things to do in the kitchen before I am ready for paint.

That is looking good Greg , stairs look great , will you be putting the railing back , what sort of railing was it metal or wood.

Here is a picture of the metal railing painted and installed.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Hi guys.

Well, we are 1/2 way. I am sitting in a motel room sipping a coffee using their wi-fi.

Just before we got here I went through a construction zone and the road was really bad. Hit a asphalt edge so hard it took the trailer off the ball. Took about 1/2 hour to get it jacked up and put back on. Not sure if there is any major damage, it made it to the motel. Will be looking at it in the morning before we head out.

Man, that had to be about a 6″ ledge that I hit with it.

Looks like you covered alot ground. Wow that’s gotta suck hitting 6″ ledge in the road and have your trailer come off the ball. I really hope there is no damage to the trailer or truck.
    Nice to see you took advantage of the free wifi. LOL!!

Greg

I got the pot lights done and the stairs painted. Started installing the corner round. The dishwasher & new fridge arrived yesterday. The kitchen cabinet’s are all install except the doors & drawers. I have few things to do in the kitchen before I am ready for paint.

That is looking good Greg , stairs look great , will you be putting the railing back , what sort of railing was it metal or wood.

Looks really good

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Looks really good

Thanks! It did turn out pretty good.

Greg

Doobie

Was kinda dead tired today, but we did get a few hours into furthering the shed build. Good days to work outside are starting to be less and less. Except for next Wednesday, all days will be in the high single digits Celsius for the next two weeks and no overnite freezing,

With my wife’s depression meds finally starting to kick in earlier this week, I don’t have to do all the household chores and/or spend hours with her to help her cope thru the days. Thank goodness, such a relief for her and our family, but she still has a way to go still. At least she’s now significantly more mentally active than she’d been for the better part of a year now, especually since early summer when she began sinking to the point of general despondancy ultimately requiring hospitalization.

So today, while we removed all the close overhanging maple tree branches yesterday above the shed and Rogers came a removed their line today, we are still waiting for Bell to relocate the aerial drop to my neighbor’s house that runs accross the back corner of my property whre the shed build is that interferes with my shed’s roof build.

Had an appointment with Bell for late yesterday, they never showed up nor called. Had to spend an hour on the phone this morning just to get it rebooked for Monday morning now. Rogers guy today said that neither Bell or Rogers should have run aerial drops for my neighbor that runs over my property in the first place. Kinda thought so.

The Rogers tech today said all the Bell guy has to do on Monday is remove the old line that currently comes direct off the hydro pole that sits in the town’s green belt 12 feet behind my backyard fence and secure it about 15 feet away on the ‘stringer’ line that Hydro has below their power lines set up just for other service providers to run lines like phone and cable companies.

Neighbor is all up to speed and hates Rogers Cable anyways and was in fact pleased the Rogers line was being removed entirely from their house today. Rogers tech said that dead end service lines like that are really old can actually cause interference to actual users. That line had been in non-use longer than the two decades that I have been living here.

He also did some service work on the line splitter spigots my cable comes off from the stringer line which he said should help keep things in check even better for service levels although I can’t say our Rogers service has been problematic in any noticeable way.

The Rogers guy today was spot on time for the appointmemt, polite, courteous, personable, and unlike the typical mutish Bell techs, full of info and feedback and in and out done with everything done in under a half hour. Real pro imo, just like all Rogers guys out here I’ve experienced over the years. Bell has almost always been another story for me simce I moved here from Toronto in 2000, yet, I pay those useless buggers close to $400 a month for our services with Bell. Mini-Bell-rant over!

Back to what I did on the shed build today…..

Did a bit more framing. The rest of the framing on its single long side’s window. Added the top plates. Was gonna work on the outside porch uprights that will hold the roof overhang over the 4 or so foot span that will cover the porch area and found I was missing one crummy half inch galv fender washer to get that going….Aaargh!

That was actually a good thing in hindsight now. The placement and execution of the uprights for this part of the build on the porch are a little tricky for me, especially with how to notch out the top of the 6×6 cedar uprights and my brain wasn’t up to snuff by the time we were about to undertake that stuff being quite beat from yesterday’s lumberjack work trimming the overhead tree branches the day before.

When my helper friend said he wanted to call it quits for the day shortly after that, I jumped on it and called it a day also and he headed back to his place in Toronto after another good heartfelt thanks for his free time in helping me again.

Typically, he doesn’t want to come out here for just a few hours to help me, nor leave before 6PM to avoid traffic on weekdays going accross Toronto back home to his place in the west end, but today nicely worked out to be the exception for an early 4PM quitting time on a Saturday.

Went to HD to get the fender washer after he left, so that’s done. Not a lot to show for today, but something is better than nothing.

EDIT: With the overhead branches all gone for roofing now, I think I’m gonna simplify and quicken things up and build a gable roof now versus the hip roof I thought of building before to avoid removing any or as many large branches. Once I got up on the scaffolding we set up yesterday, all the large branches in question needed to be removed for one reason or another.

With those branch removals, I realized that if any higher up branches ever broke off, the roof of my shed could be comprised. Maple branches are pretty dense heavy, which I already kinda knew, but yesterday with the cut offs falling from being chain sawed, you really start to recognize other potential issues/concerns.

With that said, I am building the roof with 2x6s instead of 2x4s for the rafters 16″ OC, but I was also thinking of doubling the half inch ply roof sheathing to help mitigate any large branch breaking off and too easily destroying my roof structurally. Is this a good/bad idea?

And if an OK idea, should I avoid stagering the second layer of roof sheathing for seasonal movement? I figure stagered would be stronger, but I’m not maybe not thinking of other issues it may cause. I’m OK with extra $500 in materials doing this and the extra work, that’s not an issue.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

With my wife’s depression meds finally starting to kick in earlier this week, I don’t have to do all the household chores and/or spend hours with her to help her cope thru the days. Thank goodness, such a relief for her and our family, but she still has a way to go still. At least she’s now significantly more mentally active than she’d been for the better part of a year now, especually since early summer when she began sinking to the point of general despondancy ultimately requiring hospitalization.

Good to hear your wife is getting better.

Had an appointment with Bell for late yesterday, they never showed up nor called. Had to spend an hour on the phone this morning just to get it rebooked for Monday morning now. Rogers guy today said that neither Bell or Rogers should have run aerial drops for my neighbor that runs over my property in the first place. Kinda thought so.

A guy from Cogeco told me the other day instead of clearing the branches from tree that is in my neighbors yard hook up my cable. They could do a aerial drop from another tap and bring a cable across my another neighbor’s yard to my house. Mine you this hasn’t happen yet and maybe it won’t from what you just mention.

I had one Bell Tech has to my present place early and ran a new line both times. He was only here for one hour each time. He was very helpful giving me info too.

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

EDIT: With the overhead branches all gone for roofing now, I think I’m gonna simplify and quicken things up and build a gable roof now versus the hip roof I thought of building before to avoid removing any or as many large branches. Once I got up on the scaffolding we set up yesterday, all the large branches in question needed to be removed for one reason or another.

With those branch removals, I realized that if any higher up branches ever broke off, the roof of my shed could be comprised. Maple branches are pretty dense heavy, which I already kinda knew, but yesterday with the cut offs falling from being chain sawed, you really start to recognize other potential issues/concerns.

With that said, I am building the roof with 2x6s instead of 2x4s for the rafters 16″ OC, but I was also thinking of doubling the half inch ply roof sheathing to help mitigate any large branch breaking off and too easily destroying my roof structurally. Is this a good/bad idea?

And if an OK idea, should I avoid stagering the second layer of roof sheathing for seasonal movement? I figure stagered would be stronger, but I’m not maybe not thinking of other issues it may cause. I’m OK with extra $500 in materials doing this and the extra work, that’s not an issue.

I would not think that would be a bad idea. I think you could accomplish the same thing with a 5/4″ sheeting and do it in one pass. I have seen lot of projects where 5/8 is specked. Two layers of 1/2″ is the way a lot of floors used to be done. Then about 25 or 30 years ago they switched to a single layer of 3/4.

If you go with the two layers of 1/2″, I would suggest staggering the seams to make it lay better, and should create a stronger roof also.

Running around today , picked up some material from Reno Depot ,
    Changing tires today , and putting the patio set away

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Oh man those are jobs I will need to do soon too. I just need to find time to do the winter tires.

Greg

Oh man those are jobs I will need to do soon too. I just need to find time to do the winter tires.

Yeah , it actually didn’t happen today , 🙄 I’ve been feeling very lazy lately , don’t know why ,
    I preferred running around doing errands and other things ,
    But I did manage to get the tires into the garage , bring in my fig trees , and take all the leaves out of the pool before I throw the cover on the pool

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Loaded, mobilized unloaded 600 pieces of reclaimed Chicago bricks, took two runs. Tired.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Loaded, mobilized unloaded 600 pieces of reclaimed Chicago bricks, took two runs. Tired.

Man that would tire anyone out. Bet you are glad that chore is done. What are you building?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What are you doing with those 🧱
    Did you move them in your SUV 🙄😲

Doobie

I would not think that would be a bad idea. I think you could accomplish the same thing with a 5/4″ sheeting and do it in one pass. I have seen lot of projects where 5/8 is specked. Two layers of 1/2″ is the way a lot of floors used to be done. Then about 25 or 30 years ago they switched to a single layer of 3/4.

If you go with the two layers of 1/2″, I would suggest staggering the seams to make it lay better, and should create a stronger roof also.

Thanks Kurt!

Still debating whether I will do this or not. I do have enough half inch ply to add a protective second layer on hand.

I’m just thinking it as added insurance of making some future roof repair a shingle only prob versus a much more involved shingle and sheating area replacement should a big heavy branch come down at some future point, if ever.

Doobie

Got anything in particular planned for them?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I tried replying but my latest post got swallowed into the BTP zombieland LOL!

I tried replying but my latest post got swallowed into the BTP zombieland LOL!

Okay , so what did you reply 🤷‍♂️😂🤣
    We are curious to know what you did with those bricks

I changed the tires over for my MIL
    Just before that , I did a second pass on blowing out the sprinklers , then went to CT to order new snow tires for my SUV ,

Aside from that , was a typical day in the shop

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 780 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.658 seconds