dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,601 through 2,620 (of 2,766 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Hope it is nice weather up north?

It’s nice. In the high teens celcius. Truck get the snow tires put on tomorrow. Last year there was snow mid October before we got here so it could come at any time now.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It’s nice. In the high teens celcius. Truck get the snow tires put on tomorrow. Last year there was snow mid October before we got here so it could come at any time now.

That’s nice weather for sure. I guess you never know when the snow will hit. Better to be prepared.
    It was 22C the last few days here. I hope we don’t get snow till December.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That’s nice weather for sure. I guess you never know when the snow will hit. Better to be prepared.

It was 22C the last few days here. I hope we don’t get snow till December.

You never know around here. Being on the east shore of Lake Superior it has a moderating effect on the temperatures, but it can turn on you in a heartbeat and teach you some tough lessons.

Finally finished the last of the Shades of Sass painting. Going to put the room back together somewhat while my wife is starting on what is left to paint. It’s going white, a colour who’s name I can understand. It will really pop the orange hue of the rest of the room. I have to build a plate rail and install an outlet switched with the lights as we are going to add LED’s above the plate rail to brighten the room with indirect lighting. The plate rail will also hold a bunch of knick knacks and glasswear we have.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Trying to dig out a rotted fence post today. The old post snapped at grade.

Unfortunately the new post has to go back at the same exact spot, since the fence is right next to the pool and spa pump and heater, so there are electrical conduits and PVC pump in take and outflow pipes all over and that spot is the only spot a fence post can go in and not interfere with another pipe.

This turns out to be a major hassle being that the broken stump is set in concrete, so I had to break out the concrete anchor piece by piece, using the Bosch rotary hammer with a chisel bit. It was really slow going. But at the end when the depth gets to about 14″ I can’t go deeper as the chisel bit is only 10″ long.

I don’t think Bosch has a longer chisel bit like 18″ for SDS plus bits. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

You never know around here. Being on the east shore of Lake Superior it has a moderating effect on the temperatures, but it can turn on you in a heartbeat and teach you some tough lessons.

Yes you never know. It is better to be prepared.

I live close to Lake Ontario now. It does have effect on the weather also. Not as bad Lake Superior. We hardly had any snow last winter.

Greg

Hangman
    Pro

Tore out some old cracked plaster, glues some bigger chunks back with constructing adhesive. Working on brownstones is endless restoration, prep work is everything.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

Unfortunately the new post has to go back at the same exact spot, since the fence is right next to the pool and spa pump and heater, so there are electrical conduits and PVC pump in take and outflow pipes all over and that spot is the only spot a fence post can go in and not interfere with another pipe.

This turns out to be a major hassle being that the broken stump is set in concrete, so I had to break out the concrete anchor piece by piece, using the Bosch rotary hammer with a chisel bit. It was really slow going. But at the end when the depth gets to about 14″ I can’t go deeper as the chisel bit is only 10″ long.

I don’t think Bosch has a longer chisel bit like 18″ for SDS plus bits. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.

I need to know more about this , I will most likely have a similar problem next year ,
    Mine are 6×6 ptw in concrete , I think they have a spacer or something that would extend the bits , some kind of extension , not sure if it works on chisels or bits ,
    I think Kevin @doobie might have better information about this

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Only thing Bosch makes in the SDS plus in 18″ is drill bit related.
    They do make 18″ chisel bits for the Max line.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

More painting. Man there is a lot of walls and half walls in this room. Looking good with adding the white to the room. Covering over the dark panelling was a good decision. Maybe done tomorrow or the day after, then I have to start making some plate rails and trim.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Only thing Bosch makes in the SDS plus in 18″ is drill bit related.
    They do make 18″ chisel bits for the Max line.

That’s what I thought. Actually no one makes anything in SDS Plus chisel longer than 12″. I have a 18″ drill bit but that doesn’t help with breaking up concrete.

I don’t have a SDS Max hammer. The cost to going to SDS Max is quite high since my existing bits are probably more expensive than a SDS Max tool.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I need to know more about this , I will most likely have a similar problem next year ,
    Mine are 6×6 ptw in concrete , I think they have a spacer or something that would extend the bits , some kind of extension , not sure if it works on chisels or bits ,
    I think Kevin @doobie might have better information about this

It’s a slower going process. Here is one post that is rotted and broke off at grade.

I used a Bosch rotary hammer with a 10″ chisel bit and that’s about as far as it will go. I did get it down to about 14″ deep. The 4X4 is still solidly embedded in concrete.

Out comes the heavy digging bar. I kept slamming it down against the sides of the 4X4. One side at a time. Then the concrete broke off a piece at a time.

Eventually enough pieces came off and I started to wedge the bar deeper and nudged the 4X4 in different directions. Did this for a few more minutes and pulled the whole piece out.

Doobie

Sorry for the late reply there Sami. Just been busy.

This is what you are looking for…. EDIT: For some reason it is not letting me post the Amazon Link to the Makita version of it….hmmm! I’ll try to do a screenshot or do a search for Makita T-01688 Adapter 1-3/16″ for SDS-Max ….END EDIT

There are three different extension lengths you can use with it. The extensions first go into the SDS Max tool itself, the other end goes into the extension adapter and the accessory tool you are looking at using attaches to the adapter.

It is extremely well made. It’s like aircraft tolerances, or so I was told. The price on it fluctuates quite a bit from one place to the next. When I saw it went down to $189 CAD on Amazon, I jumped on it. I saw it as high as $350 or so.

Mine was bought under the Hitachi brand in 2016 at the time, but the Makita one is exactly the same coming out of the same factory in Germany. It’s either really made by Bosch, or by Hilti. (Bosch and Hilti co-developed the whole SDS system in collaboration in the 70’s) That’s a guess on my part as it has the same factory style markings of those brands, but I have never seen it under any other brand name other than Hitachi or Makita.

I used mine to dig a two plus feet deep 6 inch wide trench 50 feet in length thru heavy clay and it never flinched for running two conduits from my house to main shed in the backyard for electrical and comm/alarm lines.

Avoid getting dirt in the inner mechanism. If you do in being sloppy swapping out components, I was told by the Hitachi technical rep on the phone that it will be a dog taking the stem stuck out. In fact, I was told it could be impossible.

My primary uses was for digging with the clay spade attachment, but they are more commonly sought out for deep drilling applications. Make sure you keep it lubricated. It gets hot even with lube after a while, and every once in a while I would let it a cool down/rest just to be safe, but I was demanding the heck out of it. Some sections I was hogging out were so hard, I would pound for 20-30 seconds just to get a fist sized piece of clay carved out. The clay here is like cement in some places once you get a few inches below the topsoil.

@miamicuse
    @boschmanbrian

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Still painting.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I made a router sled to flatten some wood slices U sawed with my chainsaw mill. Today I started flattening the wood slices with my router sled. It worked pretty good. This the first time I have done this.

Greg

I made a router sled to flatten some wood slices U sawed with my chainsaw mill. Today I started flattening the wood slices with my router sled. It worked pretty good. This the first time I have done this.

Ah so that is why you bought the bits for 👍

Looks like a good project

I wanted to cut the grass and start closing the pool and lawn irrigation system , but with the rain all day , my wife dragged me to Italy Nord tile show room today , then I came home and finished sanding the vanity ,
    Looks like we (I) should be starting the other bathroom soon lol
    We also got a quote for the quartz countertop
    Better start doing overtime lol

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Today was a well deserved day off. Did a bit more painting yesterday and got the lights put back up and cover plates on. Had an arborist come over and take down a big pine by the chapel door that had a heck of a lean on it. Otherwise I would have done it myself. The way it was leaning it would have landed on the roof or the power/phone lines. Pretty neat watching him climb the tree and take it down. Now I have a mess to clean up though because I just told him to get it on the ground. I have a large section on the butt end that is free of branches I am going to try to mill with the chain saw. Going to video that one.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Ah so that is why you bought the bits for 👍

Looks like a good project

Yes that is the reason I bought the router bit & the router bit extension. I have 12 of these slices to do. It was all about saving time.
    These slices are not for me. I getting them ready for my wife. They for workshop my wife is holding next weekend. It is a pretty cool project. She uses one of her reusable transfers and a solution she made up and heat gun. It is wood burning project.
    My wife has YouTube video of her doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUB4BfPdk4Y&t=1s

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Had an arborist come over and take down a big pine by the chapel door that had a heck of a lean on it. Otherwise I would have done it myself. The way it was leaning it would have landed on the roof or the power/phone lines. Pretty neat watching him climb the tree and take it down. Now I have a mess to clean up though because I just told him to get it on the ground. I have a large section on the butt end that is free of branches I am going to try to mill with the chain saw. Going to video that one.

That was a good idea to have arborist cut your tree down. They do make it look easy. Did you have them chip the brush? That is good you are going mill up the butt pieces for lumber.

Greg

Doing today , what I had planned for yesterday , it’s a sad time when I have to close the pool up

Viewing 20 posts - 2,601 through 2,620 (of 2,766 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.569 seconds