dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,361 through 2,380 (of 2,766 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Did anyone else get the BTP closing notification?

BE THE PRO ANNOUNCEMENT

Hello Be The Pro Member,

Thank you for being a loyal member of the Be the Pro community. The Be the Pro platform has been a place for pros like you to share insider info, tips and tricks. But, after many great years, the platform will no longer be offering points to earn tools for redemption.

What this means for you: while the website http://www.bethepro.com will remain active (where the community can continue to share insights), you will need to redeem all your remaining reward points by October 1st, 2021. Additionally, after October 1st, 2021, points will no longer be accumulated.

We want you to know that we appreciate all of your support for the community and for your contributions.

-The Be The Pro Team

Redeem Your Points

Yeah , just saw that also , I kinda guess everyone sorta knew this was coming.

just saw this in my email and thought i’d pop back in and say hi before the end

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Will you be gutting the walls as well or just the ceiling?

Yeah, probably the walls too. Pretty dated panelling and the insulation likely got wet. Going to take out everything but the walls around the stage. Might take the raised stage out too and make it all one level. All the vapor barrier and any insulation that got wet. Then we can start from a clean(ish) slate. We figure even if we sell, it’s worth more gutted with clean new insulation and vapor barrier on the walls and ceiling than with the obvious staining from leaks.

I got the replacement outer frames for the windows done this evening. That was pretty sketchy as the reclaimed PT wood I used had rusted nails in one edge. Thankfully I didn’t hit any, but it did reduce the yeild I got from the wood.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yeah, probably the walls too. Pretty dated panelling and the insulation likely got wet. Going to take out everything but the walls around the stage. Might take the raised stage out too and make it all one level. All the vapor barrier and any insulation that got wet. Then we can start from a clean(ish) slate. We figure even if we sell, it’s worth more gutted with clean new insulation and vapor barrier on the walls and ceiling than with the obvious staining from leaks.

Probably wise choice to strip everything to the bare bones. By removing stage it all depends what the plan will be going forward. There is so many things the space could be used for.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

BE THE PRO ANNOUNCEMENT

Hello Be The Pro Member,

Thank you for being a loyal member of the Be the Pro community. The Be the Pro platform has been a place for pros like you to share insider info, tips and tricks. But, after many great years, the platform will no longer be offering points to earn tools for redemption.

What this means for you: while the website http://www.bethepro.com will remain active (where the community can continue to share insights), you will need to redeem all your remaining reward points by October 1st, 2021. Additionally, after October 1st, 2021, points will no longer be accumulated.

We want you to know that we appreciate all of your support for the community and for your contributions.

-The Be The Pro Team

Redeem Your Points

Hey Aaron long time , hope you are doing well ,
    It’s been a great run I’ll say though

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

BE THE PRO ANNOUNCEMENT

Hello Be The Pro Member,

-The Be The Pro Team

Redeem Your Points

Hey How are things? Sounds like you can come back again and say Hi. As the forum will still be here for awhile

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Got all the wood in for the window frames (well, all except 1 piece, but that will get done today). Did some of the epoxy fill. I soaked fibreglass insulation for the verticle bits and it worked a treat! Made is so easy to get the sides/corners done. I still have a couple of pours to do on them over the next few days, but the difficult challenges have been met and overcome.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Got all the wood in for the window frames (well, all except 1 piece, but that will get done today). Did some of the epoxy fill. I soaked fibreglass insulation for the verticle bits and it worked a treat! Made is so easy to get the sides/corners done. I still have a couple of pours to do on them over the next few days, but the difficult challenges have been met and overcome.

How many windows did you have to do? At first I was under the impression you only had one to do.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Off to the hospital later this morning for minor procedure. My appointment got moved up due to a cancelation. I got the call on Wednesday.

Greg

Off to the hospital later this morning for minor procedure. My appointment got moved up due to a cancelation. I got the call on Wednesday.

Good luck , hope everything goes well 👍

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

How many windows did you have to do?

About 5 of them to repair. 11 of them all together to get them foamed and caulked properly and painted.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Off to the hospital later this morning for minor procedure.

Best wishes.

Doobie

Off to the hospital later this morning for minor procedure.

Best wishes.

Same here Greg!

Best wishes there Greg! Sorry you have to deal with it.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Did some of the epoxy fill. I soaked fibreglass insulation for the verticle bits and it worked a treat! Made is so easy to get the sides/corners done.

That’s an interesting tip. I have already mixed fiberglass fibers typically used in concrete with epoxy to make it more “firm” for vertical surfaces and keeps it from running away from flat surface repairs

Been installing flooring and baseboard…and painting. Also installing new hardware on doors and bathroom. That will be more of this weekend’s project list.

Orange County, CA

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Best wishes there Greg! Sorry you have to deal with it.

Thank you!

Greg

Long weekend , just came back in from having a garage sale 👍👍 did pretty good , sold lots and lots of hand tools and stuff , made just over 500 bucks ,

Also picked up a box of furnace filters for our central furnace , also picked up a box for our neighbors.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Good luck Greg! I burned a bunch of brush from a tree I had cut down.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Did some of the epoxy fill. I soaked fibreglass insulation for the verticle bits and it worked a treat! Made is so easy to get the sides/corners done. I still have a couple of pours to do on them over the next few days, but the difficult challenges have been met and overcome.

Interesting technique. Do you have any pictures to share?

I do quite a bit of epoxy wood restoration and repairs, and have used wood epoxy products from System 3, The Rot Doctor, Abraton, as well as fiberglass epoxy products and steel epoxy products.

One of the challenges I face is vertical surfaces and overhead repairs that tend to “slump” over especially when it’s thicker, and I do not have time to do a 1/8″ layer every day to build up a 1″ layer.

A typical application like a rotted door heel, broken door lock strike hole, and badly damaged termite infested rafter heels or subfascia.

My current technique involves using either “structural epoxy putty” that can be molded and keep it’s form. This works well but it means I have to keep three epoxy products (A) liquid epoxy for pouring and filling crevices (B) epoxy paste that is like peanut butter texture but will slump on overhead and vertical surfaces (c) epoxy putty that works like play dough and can be molded.

I sometimes will build a form for pouring liquid epoxy because that will yield the strongest repair. Typically I use thin 1/8″ plywood to make a temp form wrapped in duct tape on the inside once I secured the form I caulk all sides then pour my liquid epoxy. Boy if you have a small leak you are in deep trouble there is no good way to stop it and the waste is expensive.

If the patch is very thick I tend to cut a piece of slightly smaller wood in the same rough shape as a fill material secured with screws or nails to reduce the epoxy used. This structural epoxy is expensive.

I am very curious of your fiberglass soaking approach.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Long weekend , just came back in from having a garage sale did pretty good , sold lots and lots of hand tools and stuff , made just over 500 bucks ,

Sounds like you did pretty good at your yard sale. I thought you sold all your tools at your spring yard sale?

Also picked up a box of furnace filters for our central furnace ,

Where do you buy your filters?

Since I am new to having a furnace I need keep some filters around. I was lucky the previous home owner left us with some extra filters. My new furnace takes a different size filter. I did buy a few filters to have on hand after we had the new furnace installed .

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 2,361 through 2,380 (of 2,766 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.395 seconds