dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,161 through 2,180 (of 2,498 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

A light day today. Cleaned up the shop a bit, brought the cutoffs to a neighbour, took the trailer full of junk to the dump.

After that I took the wife out for a beautiful lunch of pickerel and perch at a place we like.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

A light day today. Cleaned up the shop a bit, brought the cutoffs to a neighbour, took the trailer full of junk to the dump.

After that I took the wife out for a beautiful lunch of pickerel and perch at a place we like.

Sounds like a good day , nice to get rid of stuff once and awhile ,
    Lunch sounds pretty good 👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Picked up a desk for my daughter today. I couldn’t believe the guy was selling for $15. It needs alittle repair and wants to paint it. I started on some of the repair.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Picked up a desk for my daughter today. I couldn’t believe the guy was selling for $15. It needs alittle repair and wants to paint it. I started on some of the repair.

Nice little desk ,
    Looks like a good deal , 👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Nice little desk ,

It is a nice little desk. Lots of storage.

Pretty sure I couldn’t build her a desk for $15.

Greg

Nice little desk ,

It is a nice little desk. Lots of storage.

Pretty sure I couldn’t build her a desk for $15.

Yeah for sure , it definitely would cost more than that in wood 👌

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Picked up a desk for my daughter today. I couldn’t believe the guy was selling for $15.

Nice deal on that. I like the drawer handles on it. Cool piece.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Very nice. A bit of TLC and that will be a fine desk for her.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Picked up a desk for my daughter today. I couldn’t believe the guy was selling for $15.

Nice deal on that. I like the drawer handles on it. Cool piece.

Thanks! I like the drawer handles as well.

Very nice. A bit of TLC and that will be a fine desk for her.

Thanks! I am sure will be a fine desk for her.

Greg

Doobie

@Doobie, not many folks would ever think of building their own custom window. Congrats on the creativity and effort.! Looking forward to seeing it installed.

Not installed yet @PI_Woodworker, still have to build the structural wood frame for it from the inside of the shed and nail it from the outside exposed face.

After much ‘stuck moments’ of how to lay out that whole frontal facade face out with such critical vertical considerations for where things should or can’t go and also how to build and assemble the actual window I finally got the whole window done today working into the night.

I’ve never built a window before. This new effort offered unique challenges.

Certain elements had to be so spot on for the window frame where to pre-drill holes for where the vertical ‘separators’ along it’s plane would be fastened with screws going askew trying to drive them thru the 2 inch thick stock, I ended up going in my main shop and finally unpacking a drill press table I ordered and received months ago from Lee Valley and setting it up on my DP.

It wasn’t actually overly necessary to set up the new DP table, but I thought what the heck….might as well set it up for this and try it out. Worked well. Think I’ll keep it as it doesn’t interfere much with my onboard dust collection at the DP with its lowish rise fence system. Most pre-made DP fence systems I’ve looked at over the years had that issue as their downfall factor for me. I like the debris cleared as it happens.

But back to the window build itself, it’s all made of PVC except for the 2mm thick window itself made out of “OPTIC” acrylic that I bought at HD.

The acrylic is nested in the main frame of the window via a narrow dado slot I cut with my Bosch 4100 TS using it’s stock blade that came with it which is has a kerf around 2.5 mm along of course with the Jessem TS guides.

Frankly using my Jessem TS guides on the Bosch fence to make a perfect cut that could line up all rail/style elements involved was the joy of the day. Love those Jessem stock guides. Highly, highly recommend!!!! Throw your old feather-boards ‘overboard’ basically once you own them. Back to the task.

One of the considerations was to try to leave the acrylic window ‘floating’ as I don’t know what differential there may be of its materials characteristics versus the overall PVC window structure.

I know PVC can move around a lot, but I don’t know about acrylic panes, nor could I find anything of definitiveness on the internet. I made the kerf slots on the verticals and upper rail a half inch deep and the bottom only a quarter inch. The acrylic has a good quarter inch spare or so on the verticals and upper rail to move around if there are expansion contraction differential issues.

I did ‘pin’ the two stretches of acrylic windows in the center. The center upright separator was installed last and I added a string of adhesive on the underside of that last piece connection to the two 44 or so inch long acrylic panes to it. Otherwise. the window can move within it’s kerf cut recess independent of the PVC frame.

Another tricky aspect using Cortex style fasteners which is what necessitated using the DP to pre-drill holes for where they would go to fasten the window vertical separators that are only 5/8ths inch wide squared, was to pre-drill their depression holes on the underside of the frame as it was really close to where I knew I subsequently needed to rabbet out an over one inch stretch about a quarter inch thick off the bottom rail to accommodate what will be the JH lap siding that needs to be pre-fastened ‘nested’ underneath the bottom frame element rail of the window frame I’ve just constructed.

I judged that where the holes needed to go for fastening of the bottom row could end up precariously close to where the aforementioned cut out was for the needed Hardie plank siding recess and I know that those Cortex screws have a ‘mushrooming’ effect when they are ploughed close to an edge.

I pre-drilled what potential mushrooming boring hole they would have done on their own a quarter inch deep or so on the DP into their already pre-drilled pilot holes were. Just easy insurance that took me five minutes of my time figuring that all out and implementing that safety measure.

Later, the potential skewing with trying to secure the corners with Cortex screws necessitated using my Bessey paralels to keep in line and even then that was a back and forth effort plowing partially sunk screws along the vertical face and along the long horizontal in staged attempts. Darn PVC is so pliable. Got it done, I did have to have my Besseys in play so that the screws did not ‘push/away’ the 5/8ths thick separators also as they plouqhed into them. That was was my first real clue.

The imperfections at the miters as a result are really minor and from the distance that viewers will ultimately see, won’t matter except in my own detailed sinister mind that it wasn’t as perfect as originally laid out dry-fitted. I filled the imperfections at the miters with some of that white WET No More Nails stuff which is what I’ve been using for years with PVC stuff for a variety of stuff related top installing it.

This whole thing with this window facade on such a short profiled vertical relief was one of the nasties with this project. I coulda went for a Plane Jane face for that 21″ X 10′ facade with just cladding it all with Hardie siding solely, but I know this will give the structure some ‘POP’ doing this effort. I’m not done yet implementing this, so fingers crossed I didn’t totally screw something up with this whole plan of mine. Hehe!

EDIT….

Better pics and further work…

@doobie wow snow in August lol , seriously that came out beautiful , very nice work 👌👍

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I’ve never built a window before. This new effort offered unique challenges.

That’s a pile of work that came out nice. Give yourself a pat on the back for that one.

MTRoads
    Pro

Nice of you to donate cutoffs to the neighbour. What is done with them, do they burn them or do smaller projects with the wood?

Stan

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

What is done with them,

They are pretty small. Kindling to get the fire started to heat his home. Cedar ought to start nicely.

MTRoads
    Pro

What is done with them,

They are pretty small. Kindling to get the fire started to heat his home. Cedar ought to start nicely.

Excellent. Bet the neighbour appreciates that.
    Wife likes it when I am working a job with Cherry – and use those cutoffs as kindling. 🙂

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

What is done with them,

Yes cedar is great fire starter. I am sure your neighbor will be happy to have wood to start the fire.

Are you still planning on putting wood stove in your place Jim?

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Frankly using my Jessem TS guides on the Bosch fence to make a perfect cut that could line up all rail/style elements involved was the joy of the day. Love those Jessem stock guides. Highly, highly recommend!!!! Throw your old feather-boards ‘overboard’ basically once you own them. Back to the task.

I have checked those Jessem TS guides. The look pretty nice. I wouldn’t mine them. But there out of price range right now.

Also great job on the window. It turned really good.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A great $15 find for sure. Should clean up very nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

A great $15 find for sure. Should clean up very nice.

Thanks! I thought it was great find too. Very happy with purchase.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Are you still planning on putting wood stove in your place Jim?

I think we have put a hold on that. Oddly enough, out here in the middle of the dang boreal forest, firewood is expensive. Can’t cut on crown land without buying a permit, and, mostly softwoods up here. Most who cut use birch which is the most plentiful hardwood up here. Other than that the choice is poplar.

Today I am working on trimming the outside of the window I made. Just over 10′ long. It was awkward but the trim is up. I needed a coffee break before I go back to it and get the caulking done. I’ll post a photo when I get it done later.

I finally cut off the metal rod sticking out of the foundation concrete too. A job that should have been done 60 years ago when the place was built. At least that’s done and one less thing to worry about scraping my shins against.

Viewing 20 posts - 2,161 through 2,180 (of 2,498 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.787 seconds