dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,081 through 2,100 (of 2,498 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Honestly I really don’t know ,

Sounds like you are going find out.

t’s that Ann Sloane paint , this is why I am hoping to Sand it off

Not familiar with that name or any chalk paint for that matter.
    Just know I was told by my BIL to stay clear of it. I was going refinish a cabinet I bought at auction sale with chalk paint. After he told about his troubles with Chalk paint. I never tried the stuff.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

You need gutters.

That’s not going to happen. They just fill up with needles from the trees and things grow in them. Although there is a small section I may do. Besides, I’m not going to be the guy going up that high to clean them.

I also flipped the blades on the planer today while I was cleaning the shop.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Clip N Guard Gutter Protection – 24 ft” type=”text/html” width=”770″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.ca/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=df0&ref_=k4w_oembed_HSOja8E6BOeSGO&asin=B00IG7XQNW&tag=googleshopc0c-20″></iframe></figure&gt;

I had new gutter and gutter guards installed on my old place. I am thinking about getting gutters installed on the gutters of my new place.

Greg

Doobie

In really crappy weather of heat and humidity, I did carry on with more final roofing work on my Shed Build II. Nasty detailed and difficult elements. Made a host of errors or encountered unnanticipated crap that really taxed my nerves today.

Tomorrow looks crummy for finishing it with rain coming by noon or so and not being an early riser, it’s likely a wash day for me. Just gotta get the Cobra Roofing membrane on and tack on by hand the cap roof pieces. It’s all ready to go for the next session.

Then, I move on to less aggravating/arduous stuff related to the shed build.

Had a new neighbor come over yesterday. He’s a contractor and showed my wife and I the work he did inside in the house he’s soon to inhabit since he started renoing it back in Nov of last year. Nice work! Really Nice frankly! Not a half arse contractor imo.

He was stunned I built my first shed solo when he saw it. Asked me more than once whether I had help. Had to explain to him how I dealt with certain challenges.

Nice guy. Think we’ll be friends. He’s black and will need all the support he can get in this oldish WASPy neighborhood I live in.

You’d be surprised at the open racism I’ve heard from my neighbors over the years, although a bunch of them have already died or moved away over the 20 years since I moved into my house where many were here as original owners since 1969/70’s. It’s nice to see some change in the neighborhood with mixed races, although he’s not the first since I moved in. He seems like a very successful contractor and is super friendly.

I like mixed races in neighborhoods myself. Anytime you have one predominant type in a neighborhood, it lends itself to issues. Having a balanced mix is always best in my estimation.

North America was always an invite. No one set of folk owns it. One of the best things I ever heard was a comedian on TV decades ago saying this….”How dare those Indians be here on our property before we got here!”. Really put it in perspective for me. I laughed heartedly at the time, but that really struck a mentality with me that I carry to this day.

Honestly I really don’t know ,

Sounds like you are going find out.

t’s that Ann Sloane paint , this is why I am hoping to Sand it off

Not familiar with that name or any chalk paint for that matter.

Just know I was told by my BIL to stay clear of it. I was going refinish a cabinet I bought at auction sale with chalk paint. After he told about his troubles with Chalk paint. I never tried the stuff.

Well I’ll let you know how bad or easy it is to sand , honestly I don’t think it should be that bad 🤷‍♂️ the actual purpose of the paint , is that most times you don’t have to remove the existing finished ex varnish and other things , and with the Bosch 1/2 sheet sander , plus the other Bosch sander , I don’t think it’s going to be that difficult

I’ll see if I can get the big swing set from Costco down today , we put it on sale and now I have to dismantle it in pieces to fit in a pickup truck bed , and also later today , someone else is coming to buy our old patio set 👍
    And hopefully if I get some time , I can start working on the sanding of the vanity 🤞

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I’ll see if I can get the big swing set from Costco down today , we put it on sale and now I have to dismantle it in pieces to fit in a pickup truck bed , and also later today , someone else is coming to buy our old patio set 👍

And hopefully if I get some time , I can start working on the sanding of the vanity 🤞

Sounds like a busy day. Look forward hearing out how the sanding of the vanity goes.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Same old thing as my last posts. Another day, another window trimmed. This is getting repetative and boring…lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I’ll give you 3 guesses as to what I’m doing, and the first 2 don’t count…lol. Scorcher out there at 21 C. No breeze where I’m working and full sun.

I’ll give you 3 guesses as to what I’m doing, and the first 2 don’t count…lol. Scorcher out there at 21 C. No breeze where I’m working and full sun.

LoL , good thing you didn’t buy a house with lots of windows 🤣😂🤭🤫

Sounds like a busy day. Look forward hearing out how the sanding of the vanity goes.

Yeah it was pretty busy , dang it I’m getting to old for this stuff lol
    I never got around to the sanding , was lots of weeding and changing the mulch , today cut the grass and more changing the mulch and weeding , and right now , my joints especially the hips are starting to tense up

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

good thing you didn’t buy a house with lots of windows

LOL! I got 2 done today. That makes 8 done and 5 to go. That will finish the exterior of the upper floor.

Doobie

Did more roofing work today on my shed build. Cut out the sheathing for the Cobra roof membrane venting that I really like to use. Always disliked the look of traditional roof vents, which really stick out on such small structures. I used it on my first shed, and it works like a charm and keepd a nice clean look.

The majority of all that upper top roof stuff is done now. The next top side phase is figuring out the three elongated custom windows I want to build and install just below the overhang of the upper roof and lower roof top end along the short vertical face there.

It’ll be a nice accent feature for the structure and offer a bit more natural light inside but it will be a tricky to calculate endeavor with only 23 inches to work with vertically and keeping into consideration snow/slush loads and its necessary flashing and how my 5 in JH fiber cement siding will integrate the best doing that all trimmed out in PVC.

Hare’s some pics, but as mentioned once before, this structure in the back corner of my yard has a lot going on in its vicinity with trying to take decent pics of it to show you all.

This structure is in what is an otherwise ‘dead’ space in my backyard corner surrounded by perimeter yard fencing on two sides, an above ground pool, a 50 year old crimson Norway maple, and my summer temporary 10X20 canopy. Like I said, hard to get good pics of it.

good thing you didn’t buy a house with lots of windows

LOL! I got 2 done today. That makes 8 done and 5 to go. That will finish the exterior of the upper floor.

LoL , you definitely have more get up and go than I have 💪💪
    Imagine if that contractor would have done it properly , you would have plenty of extra time for other things ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have been off work all week. I haven’t been feeling the greatest since last week. I spent 9 hours at the hospital. It was very long day. They ran a pile of tests. No luck finding what is casing my issue. It really sucks not having a family doctor.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow more window work. Best to get them done before winter moves in.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Did more roofing work today on my shed build. Cut out the sheathing for the Cobra roof membrane venting that I really like to use. Always disliked the look of traditional roof vents, which really stick out on such small structures. I used it on my first shed, and it works like a charm and keepd a nice clean look.

I never heard of Cobra roof membrane before. Looks pretty good. Yes I am not stuck on the looks roof vents too.

Your shed looks good. Will you have it all done before the snow hits this year?

Greg

Doobie

I never heard of Cobra roof membrane before. Looks pretty good. Yes I am not stuck on the looks roof vents too.

Your shed looks good. Will you have it all done before the snow hits this year?

The ‘dream’ is to have it done by the end of August actually, but I’m real bad at guesstimating completion dates for reno/construction project timelines. Like real bad! In fact, I’d say I stink at it, haha!

I don’t have my buddy I had last year helping me regularly. He’s back working, doin’ a lot of overtime since he went back last November, but said he really wanted to help me again this year when he could on weekends once i got out of my busy season at the end of June. So far, thru no fault on him, he’s been by once. But that may change soon.

He’s on vacation with his young pre-teen daughter for another week and can only come over every second weekend otherwise when he doesn’t have her (separated parent) and the weather has to be amenable of course. Just hasn’t worked out much yet this year for him to help me due to uncontrollable factors.

I like it when he’s available as it gets me motivated too. I’m tireing at times of this project. My wife is useless to help me, and my son has no interest on this although is available when I truly need a second hand. I just keep repeating that old saying in my head ‘How do you eat an elephant…..one bite at a time’. Strangely, muttering that to myself at times helps.

The roofing has beaten me up. I feel I’ve almost constantly have lower back pain and tenderness the last month since I got going on the roofing which is almost complete now. Just some flashing detail to finish, the front short vertical facade, and I move off to the house-wrap and siding work.

I feel I’m getting too old for this type of sporaidic hard work. And get this, I have 65 2′ X 2′ 2inch thick patio stones sitting on skids in my driveway since last fall I still need to move and deploy. That’ll be a special torture when I go to deal with that. Aargh!

Thanks for listening.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

The ‘dream’ is to have it done by the end of August actually, but I’m real bad at guesstimating completion dates for reno/construction project timelines. Like real bad! In fact, I’d say I stink at it, haha!

HaHa! Yeah it can be a tough job figure out how long it will take to do a job. I have ran into those problems myself. Sounds like you have done then before the snow flies.

I don’t have my buddy I had last year helping me regularly. He’s back working, doin’ a lot of overtime since he went back last November, but said he really wanted to help me again this year when he could on weekends once i got out of my busy season at the end of June. So far, thru no fault on him, he’s been by once. But that may change soon.

He’s on vacation with his young pre-teen daughter for another week and can only come over every second weekend otherwise when he doesn’t have her (separated parent) and the weather has to be amenable of course. Just hasn’t worked out much yet this year for him to help me due to uncontrollable factors.

I like it when he’s available as it gets me motivated too. I’m tireing at times of this project. My wife is useless to help me, and my son has no interest on this although is available when I truly need a second hand. I just keep repeating that old saying in my head ‘How do you eat an elephant…..one bite at a time’. Strangely, muttering that to myself at times helps.

That really sucks you don’t have your buddy helping you do this job. It can be a big help to have a 2 hand.
    I know was lucky I had my BIL come help us some work on new place last fall. I really need to return the favorite. He just bought a new bandsaw sawmill and plans on sawing lumber on property not to far from me. I hoping I give him hand doing this.

Greg

Doobie

I did organize that shed for future work today.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Since we have got a water cooler we have had a issue where to store the water jugs. It has been a issue that has bugged me for some time. I have wanted make a stand to hold the water jugs and get counter top style water cooler.
    With some free time on my hands the other day I found a water jug stand. The only problem it didn’t have a top on the stand to hold the water cooler. I needed to come up with top for this stand and way to fasten it. I did come with couple of ideas. I decided to take a board and drilled 4 holes in the bottom of top. The legs of the top of the stand will sit in these holes. This will keep the top from moving. I am not sure how well this will work. I may have to make the top out of thicker stock. The piece I used was a off cut. So I am not really out much other then little bit of time and the finish I put on the top.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 2,081 through 2,100 (of 2,498 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.519 seconds