dcsimg

V-40 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,061 through 2,080 (of 2,507 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I went on Morning Glory vine control… I hate that stuff ! It grows through the chain link fence from the neighbors side and every where it touches dirt it sends down more roots and up more vines.

That is tough stuff to kill. My neighbor has some as well and it is a PITA. Grows everywhere. Spectracide Grass and Weed Killer works well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Spectracide Grass and Weed Killer works well.

I tried different brands… they all stunt them but never seem to completely kill them. I do my best to keep the vines at bay before they flower and set seeds.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Window #5 done. That completes the windows on the street side of the house. I think I will continue on. I was thinking of doing the wall the new door is in, but I figured I need some items and I ought to just keep going with what’s going on now. Having a coffee and then going to go clean up all the shavings in the shop. I’ll take a photo later.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Completely finished with the powder room , now going to try to refinish the vanity my wife bought , will be trying the Bosch sander and the Graco spray gun

Congrats on finishing the powder room project. That always feels good. What are you going to do to refinish the vanity? Are you putting on a clear finish or paint? Post a couple of pics.

Congrats on finishing the powder room project. That always feels good. What are you going to do to refinish the vanity? Are you putting on a clear finish or paint? Post a couple of pics.

Hey Lon , my wife bought a used vanity , it was white , she was in a hurry to try to paint it with chalk paint , unfortunately she didn’t like it , now she wants me to sand it and spray it something like the one we installed in the powder room , it’s grey , I’ll most likely put a finish on it to protect the paint after , I’ll definitely post pictures.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

For 2 windows, the thickness planer fills up a big tote with shavings. That doesn’t include the dust from the table saw, mitre saw, router, or the shavings I make at the bench.

Each sill has a kerf in the underside so water running down the side of it will fall off before it creeps under the sill to the wall.

Photos of all 5 windows on the front of the house done. Each window has 7 peices and I don’t think there are many repeat measurements throughout the whole thing. The sills seem to be fairly consistent in length. I am cutting them all 2 1/2″ wide, other than that, it’s a crap shoot on what fits so everything is cut and milled custom.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

For 2 windows, the thickness planer fills up a big tote with shavings. That doesn’t include the dust from the table saw, mitre saw, router, or the shavings I make at the bench.

Each sill has a kerf in the underside so water running down the side of it will fall off before it creeps under the sill to the wall.

Photos of all 5 windows on the front of the house done. Each window has 7 peices and I don’t think there are many repeat measurements throughout the whole thing. The sills seem to be fairly consistent in length. I am cutting them all 2 1/2″ wide, other than that, it’s a crap shoot on what fits so everything is cut and milled custom.

Looks good Jim. I am sure you are happy to have this much done. If remember correctly you have quite few more windows to do.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Hey Lon , my wife bought a used vanity , it was white , she was in a hurry to try to paint it with chalk paint , unfortunately she didn’t like it , now she wants me to sand it and spray it something like the one we installed in the powder room , it’s grey , I’ll most likely put a finish on it to protect the paint after , I’ll definitely post pictures.

I heard chalk can be very hard to paint over.🤷

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

you have quite few more windows to do.

8 more to go. I wish I could just batch the parts out, it would be so much faster.

Wow really nice Jim , definitely a good idea to put a kerf for the water drip ,

I heard chalk can be very hard to paint over.🤷

Honestly I really don’t know , it’s that Ann Sloane paint , this is why I am hoping to Sand it off 🤞

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

This weekend is definable not going to plan. I work 4 day weeks so my weekend started yesterday.

Broke a conveyor drive chain at the end of the day Thursday as well. Luckily the guy on the perch heard a bang and stopped the belt. The3 drive chain snapped in half. The mechanics were supposed to be there Friday, but I don’t know if they did. When I got home, I had the key to the lock I’d locked it out with in my pocket. Second time in a month I’ve broke the chain in the same spot, but opposite side of the conveyor.

IMG_20210715_154448787_HDR

The Plan
    My parents rood developed many leaks a couple weeks back. I’d planned to properly flash the chimney this weekend which hasn’t been properly done in the 30+yrs since my father installed the metal roof. Most of the leaks are just roof mails that had come loose. He’s been replacing them with screws.

Previously the chimney was “flashed” with tar, and my father has been putting a can of flex seal around it ever 6 months or so to stop it leaking. I picked up 10″ and 14″ flashing Thursday night on my way home, as well as a few tubes of Black Jack. Also got a sheet metal bender tool from Harbor Freight, as Lowes didn’t have anything of the sort. I’ve got a couple concrete cutting diamond angle grinder wheels from years ago when BTP/Bosch just randomly sent a bunch of people fairly large goodie packages when they were cleaning out a marketing storeroom. Already had a bag of mortar out in the garage that’s been there for a decade, but hasn’t hardened up. The chimney comes out the middle of the ridge, made of chimney block, with a metal chimney liner(installed after a chimney fire a couple years ago). The first joint above the roof line on eitimg]{url}[/img]
    her side is still below the ridgeline.

Plan is to first remove the ridge cap. Then flash the roof to vertical with the 14″ flashing. seal the vertical surface to the chimney with Black Jack. Reinstall ridge cap over the flashing. The notch the first mortar joint that’s completely above the roof and mortar in flashing that comes down over the vertical. There’s a cracked block above that as well and I may grind out the crack and mortar it closed while I’m there.

I hate going on this roof so much I actually spent the money on a new fall arrest system and am looking at making ridge hooks for my fathers ladder. It would be an OSHA field day if that thing was used on a job site. it’s half of an aluminum extension ladder that one leg of has literally snapped in half. My father had is spliced back together with a half rotten piece of wood up until I replaced the wood with a chunk of 3/16″ steel probably 15 years go, as ti sketched me out way too much, and I”m not one to be overly concerned with sIMG_20210715_154448787_HDR
    afety. When he was working on the roof, he had that ladder tied off with 100ft of rope(from a fall arrest system I found in the garbage and bought home for random rope useage)to a 30ft tall cedar tree, and had a antique fall harness(retired by his employer prior to 2004), tied off to the chimney with some cheap 1/2″ rope. The night I had to climb into the attic with buckets, I said I wasn’t going onto that roof without a new fall arrest system. I didn’t trust the antique one when he gave it to me in 204 to use at college(2004-2008)(which I never actually uses, plenty of situation I should have, but no one did and I used 1/8″ wire rope “safety cables” from theatre lights if I felt the need to additional psychological security. By the time I graduated, there were lights know as “Dustin Lights”, as no one else would go there. Most of those literally had no risk at all, as using my overkill version of a firemans leg lock(on permanent installed lighting position(2″ sch40) pipes (leg woven into the structure, knee behind a rung with ankle in front) , there was no chance at falling.

Reality
    I got a woke up at 6:30 yesterday, that my father was stranded at my sisters(picking up my nephew for the day), and the truck wouldn’t start. First problem discovered was that the wires between the solenoid and starter had corroded/burnt up and also melted the solenoid trigger wire. Got a new starter and installed it on the side of the road, then it would turn over but not fire. Found no pressure at the fuel rail. Ended up getting it towed home. Then found out it’d fixed itself. My guess is the cranking trying to get it running finished off some fairly corroded wires on the starter. Thought on that are whatever engineer that decided the starter should be 6″ away from the catalytic convert needs to be fired. I’ve never seen a vehicle as large as this one is, with as little room to work on it. The design is seems like compact modules spaced widely apart, but each module is so compact it’s impossible to work on anything.

My father has been periodically starting it to hopefully recreate the issue and after 4-5 starts this morning it happened again. I then checked for power out of the TIPM(no replaceable fuel pump relay on an ’06 Dodge Ram). Found power, so we then removed the tank and fought to get all the wiring and hose connections disconnected.

Tested again for power to the pump, at the pump connection and did have power, so got a new pump and also lock ring. The old one was totally rusted away. Hopefully the lock ring tabs on the tank are good enough to seal it, at they’re also very heavily rusted. Got rained out while my father was on the parts run so stopped for the day. The only part he couldn’t find is the fuel line connector retainers. None of them survived removal.

Once the rain started, I picked up and spent some time in the garage organizing, cleaning and waxing my tool cart I drag out into the driveway. I got well beyond sick of running the 100ft between my shop and the driveway for a random tool multiple times per repair and put together the cart for that purpose. Didn’t have it out today due to predicted rain.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

This weekend is definable not going to plan. I work 4 day weeks so my weekend started yesterday.

Broke a conveyor drive chain at work the end of the day Thursday as well. Luckily the guy on the perch heard a bang and stopped the belt. The drive chain snapped in half. The mechanics were supposed to be there Friday, but I don’t know if they did. When I got home, I had the key to the lock I’d locked it out with in my pocket. Second time in a month I’ve broke the chain in the same spot, but opposite side of the conveyor.

IMG_20210715_154448787_HDR-1

The Plan
    My parents rood developed many leaks a couple weeks back. I’d planned to properly flash the chimney this weekend which hasn’t been properly done in the 30+yrs since my father installed the metal roof. Most of the leaks are just roof mails that had come loose. He’s been replacing them with screws.

Previously the chimney was “flashed” with tar, and my father has been putting a can of flex seal around it ever 6 months or so to stop it leaking. I picked up 10″ and 14″ flashing Thursday night on my way home, as well as a few tubes of Black Jack. Also got a sheet metal bender tool from Harbor Freight, as Lowes didn’t have anything of the sort. I’ve got a couple concrete cutting diamond angle grinder wheels from years ago when BTP/Bosch just randomly sent a bunch of people fairly large goodie packages when they were cleaning out a marketing storeroom. Already had a bag of mortar out in the garage that’s been there for a decade, but hasn’t hardened up. The chimney comes out the middle of the ridge, made of chimney block, with a metal chimney liner(installed after a chimney fire a couple years ago). The first joint above the roof line on eitimg]{url}[/img]
    her side is still below the ridgeline.

Plan is to first remove the ridge cap. Then flash the roof to vertical with the 14″ flashing. seal the vertical surface to the chimney with Black Jack. Reinstall ridge cap over the flashing. The notch the first mortar joint that’s completely above the roof and mortar in flashing that comes down over the vertical. There’s a cracked block above that as well and I may grind out the crack and mortar it closed while I’m there.

I hate going on this roof so much I actually spent the money on a new fall arrest system and am looking at making ridge hooks for my fathers ladder. It would be an OSHA field day if that thing was used on a job site. it’s half of an aluminum extension ladder that one leg of has literally snapped in half. My father had is spliced back together with a half rotten piece of wood up until I replaced the wood with a chunk of 3/16″ steel probably 15 years go, as ti sketched me out way too much, and I”m not one to be overly concerned with sIMG_20210715_154448787_HDR-1
    afety. When he was working on the roof, he had that ladder tied off with 100ft of rope(from a fall arrest system I found in the garbage and bought home for random rope useage)to a 30ft tall cedar tree, and had a antique fall harness(retired by his employer prior to 2004), tied off to the chimney with some cheap 1/2″ rope. The night I had to climb into the attic with buckets, I said I wasn’t going onto that roof without a new fall arrest system. I didn’t trust the antique one when he gave it to me in 204 to use at college(2004-2008)(which I never actually uses, plenty of situation I should have, but no one did and I used 1/8″ wire rope “safety cables” from theatre lights if I felt the need to additional psychological security. By the time I graduated, there were lights know as “Dustin Lights”, as no one else would go there. Most of those literally had no risk at all, as using my overkill version of a firemans leg lock(on permanent installed lighting position(2″ sch40) pipes (leg woven into the structure, knee behind a rung with ankle in front) , there was no chance at falling.

Reality
    I got a woke up at 6:30 yesterday, that my father was stranded at my sisters(picking up my nephew for the day), and the truck wouldn’t start. First problem discovered was that the wires between the solenoid and starter had corroded/burnt up and also melted the solenoid trigger wire. Got a new starter and installed it on the side of the road, then it would turn over but not fire. Found no pressure at the fuel rail. Ended up getting it towed home. Then found out it’d fixed itself. My guess is the cranking trying to get it running finished off some fairly corroded wires on the starter. Thought on that are whatever engineer that decided the starter should be 6″ away from the catalytic convert needs to be fired. I’ve never seen a vehicle as large as this one is, with as little room to work on it. The design is seems like compact modules spaced widely apart, but each module is so compact it’s impossible to work on anything.

My father has been periodically starting it to hopefully recreate the issue and after 4-5 starts this morning it happened again. I then checked for power out of the TIPM(no replaceable fuel pump relay on an ’06 Dodge Ram). Found power, so we then removed the tank and fought to get all the wiring and hose connections disconnected.

Tested again for power to the pump, at the pump connection and did have power, so got a new pump and also lock ring. The old one was totally rusted away. Hopefully the lock ring tabs on the tank are good enough to seal it, at they’re also very heavily rusted. Got rained out while my father was on the parts run so stopped for the day. The only part he couldn’t find is the fuel line connector retainers. None of them survived removal.

Once the rain started, I picked up and spent some time in the garage organizing, cleaning and waxing my tool cart I drag out into the driveway. I got well beyond sick of running the 100ft between my shop and the driveway for a random tool multiple times per repair and put together the cart for that purpose. Didn’t have it out today due to predicted rain.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

You need gutters.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

You need gutters.

That’s not going to happen. They just fill up with needles from the trees and things grow in them. Although there is a small section I may do. Besides, I’m not going to be the guy going up that high to clean them.

I also flipped the blades on the planer today while I was cleaning the shop.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

You need gutters.

That’s not going to happen. They just fill up with needles from the trees and things grow in them. Although there is a small section I may do. Besides, I’m not going to be the guy going up that high to clean them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Photos of all 5 windows on the front of the house done. Each window has 7 peices and I don’t think there are many repeat measurements throughout the whole thing.

JDO that is a lot of sawdust for 5 windows. But in the end they all look great.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

you have quite few more windows to do.

8 more to go. I wish I could just batch the parts out, it would be so much faster.

Oh yes it would be alot faster if you could just batch them out. Some jobs with older homes are never that easy.

Greg

You need gutters.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Clip N Guard Gutter Protection – 24 ft” type=”text/html” width=”770″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.ca/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=df0&ref_=k4w_oembed_HSOja8E6BOeSGO&asin=B00IG7XQNW&tag=googleshopc0c-20″></iframe></figure&gt;

I gotta get those for my cabano , it’s crazy how much gunk grows in the gutter from falling leaves and stuff

Viewing 20 posts - 2,061 through 2,080 (of 2,507 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.655 seconds