dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

• This topic has 1,372 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Doobie.
Viewing 20 posts - 1,801 through 1,820 (of 2,056 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have not used the TimberTech 5 shot system but use the Tiger Claw system, also made by FastenMaster. We have had good luck with that system. When I have talked to the TimberTech guys at trade shows, they have tried to convert me to their system. It looks good, but I have a couple of the Tiger Claw guns already and don’t really want another system to haul around. We pretty much only use the TimberTech / Azek products and the Tiger Claw works well with it.

The Tiger Claw is a single load clip, so a little slower that the system you are using, but still a lot faster that doing it by hand. I nor my guys have had any issues with the Tiger Claw system. It is interesting to hear your take on the TimberTex system.

This is the third deck that the company has used the Five Shot system and the second gun – the first gun we bought broke halfway through the second deck. You load a rack of 5 clips into the gun but you almost always lose the last one or two because the gun ejects them after a shot. In my opinion, one of the biggest issues is what it does to the fasteners – when the gun shoots the scrails, it knocks the finish off the head and it is very noticeable.

I have not noticed the Tiger Claw gun taking the painted finish off of the top of the fasteners. With the clips being fairly expensive, losing a couple from each clip is not good. I did not see that happening in the demonstrations of the system I have seen.

The Tiger Claw clips are running about a buck to a buck and a quarter a SF last I saw. This includes the Scrails. Since both are made by FastenMaster I would guess that the TimberTex system would be comparable.

Next time you get a big deck, order a 1000 SF kit of the Tigerclaw clips. I get them online. Many of the suppliers will have the FastenMaster promotion where they will send you a free gun with 1000SF of clips. The system has worked well for us. In my opinion, having the gun increased production enough that having the remaining clips sitting on a shelf till we got the next deck, was well worth it. We do enough decks that the 2 bucket order only lasts less than a year. They will only send one free gun per address or company, so for a second order use your old company and have your new one reimburse you for the clips.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Yesterday was my visit with an orthopedic doc about my hip…He did more xrays and didn’t see anything but ordered an MRI because he thinks there may be a hairline fracture that he isn’t seeing on the x-rays…Gave me a cortisone shot and off I went lol. He wanted me take yesterday and today off to rest up and give the steroids time to settle in so I won’t be back on the job until tomorrow. He did give restrictions – no climbing, no lifting over 20 pounds….Luckily, the company I work for has been great about all of this.

Back to construction related stuff….

Do any of you guys have experience with the Timbertech/Fastenmaster Five Shot concealed deck fastener system? The job I am running is an addition and big Timbertech deck and that is the concealed fastener system we are using. This is the first time I have used it and, I gotta say, I am not impressed. The gun is finicky, it scrapes the finish off the top of the fasteners…just don’t care for it. Just wondering if it is the system or if maybe we just got a bad gun, or if I just need some tips/tricks…

I hope the shot help Chad. I am still recovering from back surgery in December. I really don’t think I am any better than I was before the surgery.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

We started a 2800sq ft 2 story today for another developer in town. This will be a test run for both of us to see how we like working with eachother.

I’ll make sure to grab some pictures in the morning and try to keep a photo log of our progress.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I hope the shot help Chad. I am still recovering from back surgery in December. I really don’t think I am any better than I was before the surgery.

That sucks Ron – hope you start feeling better soon. I would imagine the recovery time from back surgery is pretty long.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@roninohio hey Ron , nice to hear from you again ,
    Sorry to hear about your back taking so long , hopefully it will eventually start to feel some relief eventually.
    Are you doing anything like physiotherapy or something else , apparently backs take a long time to get relief ,

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Not in the trades anymore but an interesting day none the less.

I spend 8-10hrs a day running a Cat 262D skidsteer. Blew a hydraulic hard line on a bucket after about 10 minutes of use. I’d just swapped buckets for a spare at the shop, took a half hour as the quick attach wiring is screwed up, so it takes a mechanic with a battery and jumper wires to remove/attach the bucket. Took probably an hour out of my morning swapping the buckets around.

Biggest excitement of the day was a Li Ion battery fire, in a of pile of combustibles. Someone threw away an Iphone external battery case in their recycling. I took a scoop from a freshly dumped truck and my bucket suddenly was surrounded in white smoke, I backed up and spotted what it was, sitting on the floor. Called on our internal radio, that there was a fire, unheard. Jumped out of the machine and ran to grab a fire extinguisher(forgot the one in the machine behind my head), knowing it was useless against the li ion battery, but as it was in a 20ton pile of recyclables, hoping to keep it from spreading.By that point it had died down, so I went in search of a metal shovel, which I could barely find. Scooped up the battery pack and what was around it, yelled up to the guys upstairs, then carried it outside, and dumped it in a mud puddle where it was still sizzling. Worst part was I’ve been talking all month how were were due for a fire, as every July, in the 5 years I’ve been there, we’ve had some kind of fire.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

After reading about your day, I would say interesting in a huge understatement. Glad it didn’t turn out worse for you and your company. Here’s to a nice uneventful day for you tomorrow.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

After reading about your day, I would say interesting in a huge understatement. Glad it didn’t turn out worse for you and your company. Here’s to a nice uneventful day for you tomorrow.

I honestly don’t think too much about it anymore. The 2 previous times, people who saw it were freaking out, I I just dealt with it and went about my day. Last year it was a new manager, who called her boss, wanting to know what paperwork needed to be done(li ion battery, loaded by a transfer station guy helping, I got a phone call saying there was a fire in the front room, I immediately headed outside and scooped up a mud puddle, came back in and dumped it on the smoking pile then scooped up the pile and put it in mud puddle.), and the previous year it was a transfer station guy who put a scoop on the conveyor with the backhoe while I was working on the baler, and when he backed up, there were 1’+ flames on the floor(not sure management even heard about that one). Prior years have been anything from a malfunctioning regen of the skid steer I’m now operating(before I was operating it) spewing diesel onto cardboard and igniting it with the exhaust, to spontaneous combustion from packed together wet material sitting overnight then getting broke up for processing, and thereby getting air. The later is the only time we’ve had the fire department called, and that was 2’+ flames coming up a conveyor, knocked that one down 3 times with fire extinguishers and it kept coming back. When management was called, the first thing they said was “Are you joking?” Answer was “Look out your window, smokes billowing out the front of the plant.”

Given what I do, my tolerance to danger is so high I don’t even acknowledge a lot of things most people wouldn’t go near. A couple weeks ago I “straight to garbage”‘d an antier scoop of material because it contained a “infectious biohazard” bag. We see dozens of dozens of used needles everyday, and are sorting this material by hand.

The “pre-sort” is essentially how our plant sorts everything. Out only automated machine is/was a magnet to recover steel, but it’s not cost effective to operate anymore.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Doobie

Used my Fuji sprayer and 2 quart pressure pot for the first time primering two Adirondak/Muskoka chairs. Went well. I wrote all about it in this HVLP thread here….

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hvlp-sprayer-thread/#post-748073

I honestly don’t think too much about it anymore. The 2 previous times, people who saw it were freaking out, I I just dealt with it and went about my day. Last year it was a new manager, who called her boss, wanting to know what paperwork needed to be done(li ion battery, loaded by a transfer station guy helping, I got a phone call saying there was a fire in the front room, I immediately headed outside and scooped up a mud puddle, came back in and dumped it on the smoking pile then scooped up the pile and put it in mud puddle.), and the previous year it was a transfer station guy who put a scoop on the conveyor with the backhoe while I was working on the baler, and when he backed up, there were 1’+ flames on the floor(not sure management even heard about that one). Prior years have been anything from a malfunctioning regen of the skid steer I’m now operating(before I was operating it) spewing diesel onto cardboard and igniting it with the exhaust, to spontaneous combustion from packed together wet material sitting overnight then getting broke up for processing, and thereby getting air. The later is the only time we’ve had the fire department called, and that was 2’+ flames coming up a conveyor, knocked that one down 3 times with fire extinguishers and it kept coming back. When management was called, the first thing they said was “Are you joking?” Answer was “Look out your window, smokes billowing out the front of the plant.”

Given what I do, my tolerance to danger is so high I don’t even acknowledge a lot of things most people wouldn’t go near. A couple weeks ago I “straight to garbage”‘d an antier scoop of material because it contained a “infectious biohazard” bag. We see dozens of dozens of used needles everyday, and are sorting this material by hand.

The “pre-sort” is essentially how our plant sorts everything. Out only automated machine is/was a magnet to recover steel, but it’s not cost effective to operate anymore.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe title=”Single Stream Recycling – Tour a Material Recovery Facility (MRF)” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/M5nmNKVNCBw?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Wow , that’s definitely a different day than most people probably had , good thing you took care of it ,
    Thanks for the video , I never realized how complicated it was in these recycling facilities , do they all have these huge sorting machines ,
    Thanks for sharing 👌

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Biggest excitement of the day was a Li Ion battery fire, in a of pile of combustibles. Someone threw away an Iphone external battery case in their recycling. I took a scoop from a freshly dumped truck and my bucket suddenly was surrounded in white smoke

Nice to hear from you @Dustincoc, sounds like an interesting day.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

@roninohio hey Ron , nice to hear from you again ,

Sorry to hear about your back taking so long , hopefully it will eventually start to feel some relief eventually.

Are you doing anything like physiotherapy or something else , apparently backs take a long time to get relief ,

Thanks for the well wishes ! The surgeon wanted me to just heal and said walking was good. After seeing that I am still not better he ordered a MRI to see what is going on. My insurance will not pay for the MRI until I go to physical theropy ! SO… without knowing what is wrong I have to go and exercise a back that is already hurting! They did the same thing to me before they would approve my surgery. My Dr called them and I called them and got no where.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

My Dr called them and I called them and got no where.

Ask and write down the name rank location of the person who insisted you go to therapy first before you have determine the nature of the issue. Let them know if you go to therapy and your conditions worsens the insurance company is responsible and to expect a multi million dollar lawsuit. Let them know your doctor have explicitly stated going to therapy now risk further injuries to your back. Let them know everything is being documented.

Ask and write down the name rank location of the person who insisted you go to therapy first before you have determine the nature of the issue. Let them know if you go to therapy and your conditions worsens the insurance company is responsible and to expect a multi million dollar lawsuit. Let them know your doctor have explicitly stated going to therapy now risk further injuries to your back. Let them know everything is being documented.

Good points , that really sucks Ron , I hope you can get it taken care of properly

Doobie

Good points , that really sucks Ron , I hope you can get it taken care of properly

Ya Ron, hope you get the help you really need soon. Don’t understand how your system can do that, here, doc says get MRI, you just go and set up a time or go get one.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

done a little more securing on the cabinets in the truck and cleaned tool boxs

Doobie

Went to a local tile store to get my head further along on a bathroom redo downstairs. Needed some guidance better than what I’d get from people in a BB store typically.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

2 more viewings of the house today. It gets tedious.

Had the service guy come and check the furnace today. The heat exchanger has a crack in it. Now I have to put a new furnace in before we sell. There goes $5,000.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

2 more viewings of the house today. It gets tedious.

Had the service guy come and check the furnace today. The heat exchanger has a crack in it. Now I have to put a new furnace in before we sell. There goes $5,000.

How bad was the CO2? Did it get red tagged regardless?

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. As if just the process wasn’t irksome enough. Hang in there!

Viewing 20 posts - 1,801 through 1,820 (of 2,056 total)
  • The topic ‘V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.749 seconds