dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,781 through 1,800 (of 2,056 total)
  • Author
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Jim worry has never helped anything! lol I always say it will all work out.
    Just take one day at a time.
    I know what its like to lay in bed and think about everything.
    I have solved a lot of problems in bed thinking!

working on some video processing might just be the ticket for you right now

I did just that. Got another video edited today and I am uploading it to my channel.

I spent about an hour or two in the shop cleaning up an old 5 piece tap and die set that I got a while back. No video on it but it’s a nice set in an oak box. American made by Ace. Only 1 of the original taps is missing, but there is a replacement there.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I spent about an hour or two in the shop cleaning up an old 5 piece tap and die set that I got a while back. No video on it but it’s a nice set in an oak box.

Nice those old tap and die sets in oak boxes were well made.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

This morning was another morning of shop clean-up in order to work on finishing some small tables. Three 33 gallon garbage can loads later and it doesn’t look like I even did anything.
    It might be that the tools need to be re-arranged also. The addition of new tools had kind of taken a toll on the available space.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

I have been working on some burls that folks have given me. They sat for a couple of years or more to dry. I should have painted or coated the ends so the amount of checking was reduced. My fault but live and learn. Anyway, what to do with them after cutting into the piece. Some turn out to be busts. Others have amazing character. Attached are pictures of 2 pieces. One will become the top to a rustic stool and the second will become a clock piece. I put Watco Danish oil on the second one so it is still drying. The dark area in the piece is actually much lighter in color. I will cut a 3″ hole in the face and insert a clock. Waiting for it to dry and the clock insert to arrive.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have been working on some burls that folks have given me. They sat for a couple of years or more to dry. I should have painted or coated the ends so the amount of checking was reduced. My fault but live and learn. Anyway, what to do with them after cutting into the piece. Some turn out to be busts. Others have amazing character. Attached are pictures of 2 pieces. One will become the top to a rustic stool and the second will become a clock piece. I put Watco Danish oil on the second one so it is still drying. The dark area in the piece is actually much lighter in color. I will cut a 3″ hole in the face and insert a clock. Waiting for it to dry and the clock insert to arrive.

They look really nice.I have been lucky enough to get my hands on any burls yet. maybe one day. If I do will remember to seal the ends.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have been working on some burls that folks have given me

Some very nice pieces of wood. They can make fantastic looking projects.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Back at it after a week of vacation in the Black Hills. I got three P.O.’s while gone for jobs and another received financing, so we will be able to get going on it.

Everything went well while gone, but it is catch up time now.

I hope to get a few items off of the list this week to make room for the new ones.

I have been working on some burls that folks have given me.

Beautiful! There will be some special projects right there. Burls can be pretty pricey, you lucked out there. That really dark bark inclusion can be stabilized with epoxy.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a patio door and a window in a rental building.

Beautiful! There will be some special projects right there. Burls can be pretty pricey, you lucked out there. That really dark bark inclusion can be stabilized with epoxy.

My first adventure with pouring epoxy will be the stool seat. Going to fill the checks in the seat with West System 105 and 207 hardener. Hopefully it will go well. I am waiting for small measuring cups to get started. I just have big ones and I would waste too much going by the initial measurements in those cups.

My first adventure with pouring epoxy will be the stool seat.

I’ve never done a big pour myself, but from what I have gleaned, you want a slow set time and thinner viscosity. Hit it with a heat gun or propane torch right after the pour and all the air bubbles will come to the surface and pop giving you a clearer end product.

Doobie

My first adventure with pouring epoxy will be the stool seat. Going to fill the checks in the seat with West System 105 and 207 hardener. Hopefully it will go well. I am waiting for small measuring cups to get started. I just have big ones and I would waste too much going by the initial measurements in those cups.

You must keep us apprised of how you make out with this Lon. And just so know, don’t be shy to ever call West Systems for any technical support. They are very knowledgeable in my experience with them and are great to deal with, never mind their extensive ‘how-tos’ on their website. @PI_Woodworker

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Yesterday was my visit with an orthopedic doc about my hip…He did more xrays and didn’t see anything but ordered an MRI because he thinks there may be a hairline fracture that he isn’t seeing on the x-rays…Gave me a cortisone shot and off I went lol. He wanted me take yesterday and today off to rest up and give the steroids time to settle in so I won’t be back on the job until tomorrow. He did give restrictions – no climbing, no lifting over 20 pounds….Luckily, the company I work for has been great about all of this.

Back to construction related stuff….

Do any of you guys have experience with the Timbertech/Fastenmaster Five Shot concealed deck fastener system? The job I am running is an addition and big Timbertech deck and that is the concealed fastener system we are using. This is the first time I have used it and, I gotta say, I am not impressed. The gun is finicky, it scrapes the finish off the top of the fasteners…just don’t care for it. Just wondering if it is the system or if maybe we just got a bad gun, or if I just need some tips/tricks…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@ChadM
    Sorry to hear about your hip
    Hopefully that cortisone will kick in , I have similar problems with the shoulder , huge difference after the cortisone shot , took about a day and a half for it to work , but I was finally able to sleep without pain well from 8-10 to 1-2 , so huge difference
    Supposed to get a call from the orthopedic surgeon soon , most likely will be getting surgery he said , it’s been just over 2 months since the cortisone shot , and it’s starting to get sore again ,
    I’m looking forward to taking care of this ,

As for as the timbertech sorry never used it , don’t laugh but last time I build any decks we used lag bolts and carriage bolts lol guess it’s been awhile 🙄

As for me , just received an email from the guys who are supposed to be coming into the shop in the next week or so to do a leak check on the filling station , again problematic with leaking , can’t get the turbo molecular pump down far enough , so it’s telling me it has a leak , they have a helium high tech sensor sniffing machine that will detect it in a few minutes , then we will have to repair or replace parts as needed.
    I’d prefer to get it done this week , and not have to get called in from vacation next week 🙄

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yesterday was my visit with an orthopedic doc about my hip…

Tough deal Chad, hope the shot worked for some relief.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You must keep us apprised of how you make out with this Lon. And just so know, don’t be shy to ever call West Systems for any technical support. They are very knowledgeable in my experience with them and are great to deal with, never mind their extensive ‘how-tos’ on their website. @PI_Woodworker

I have been a follower of the Woodworkers Guild of America (wwgoa.com). They have put some great videos on using epoxy on their site if any one is interested.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Yesterday was my visit with an orthopedic doc about my hip…He did more xrays and didn’t see anything but ordered an MRI because he thinks there may be a hairline fracture that he isn’t seeing on the x-rays…Gave me a cortisone shot and off I went lol. He wanted me take yesterday and today off to rest up and give the steroids time to settle in so I won’t be back on the job until tomorrow. He did give restrictions – no climbing, no lifting over 20 pounds….Luckily, the company I work for has been great about all of this.

Back to construction related stuff….

Do any of you guys have experience with the Timbertech/Fastenmaster Five Shot concealed deck fastener system? The job I am running is an addition and big Timbertech deck and that is the concealed fastener system we are using. This is the first time I have used it and, I gotta say, I am not impressed. The gun is finicky, it scrapes the finish off the top of the fasteners…just don’t care for it. Just wondering if it is the system or if maybe we just got a bad gun, or if I just need some tips/tricks…

We have not used the TimberTech 5 shot system but use the Tiger Claw system, also made by FastenMaster. We have had good luck with that system. When I have talked to the TimberTech guys at trade shows, they have tried to convert me to their system. It looks good, but I have a couple of the Tiger Claw guns already and don’t really want another system to haul around. We pretty much only use the TimberTech / Azek products and the Tiger Claw works well with it.

The Tiger Claw is a single load clip, so a little slower that the system you are using, but still a lot faster that doing it by hand. I nor my guys have had any issues with the Tiger Claw system. It is interesting to hear your take on the TimberTex system.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

PI_Woodworker wrote:
    My first adventure with pouring epoxy will be the stool seat.

I’ve never done a big pour myself, but from what I have gleaned, you want a slow set time and thinner viscosity. Hit it with a heat gun or propane torch right after the pour and all the air bubbles will come to the surface and pop giving you a clearer end product.

I wanted to try doing a epoxy pour on alittle project I wanted to do. It was going be wall art using wood cookies. I couldn’t believe how expense epoxy is.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

We have not used the TimberTech 5 shot system but use the Tiger Claw system, also made by FastenMaster. We have had good luck with that system. When I have talked to the TimberTech guys at trade shows, they have tried to convert me to their system. It looks good, but I have a couple of the Tiger Claw guns already and don’t really want another system to haul around. We pretty much only use the TimberTech / Azek products and the Tiger Claw works well with it.

The Tiger Claw is a single load clip, so a little slower that the system you are using, but still a lot faster that doing it by hand. I nor my guys have had any issues with the Tiger Claw system. It is interesting to hear your take on the TimberTex system.

This is the third deck that the company has used the Five Shot system and the second gun – the first gun we bought broke halfway through the second deck. You load a rack of 5 clips into the gun but you almost always lose the last one or two because the gun ejects them after a shot. In my opinion, one of the biggest issues is what it does to the fasteners – when the gun shoots the scrails, it knocks the finish off the head and it is very noticeable.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 1,781 through 1,800 (of 2,056 total)
  • The topic ‘V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.493 seconds