dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,541 through 1,560 (of 2,056 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

The photo of the wall I panelled this week. This ought to be the one in the house listing for the real estate ad when it gets changed.

Looks good Jim! You have your place fixed up pretty nice. I am sure you will have no trouble selling it.

Worked overtime today. Spent most of the day doing a changeover. Would rather been a home doing that I need to get done. By the time I got home from work it was too hot to do anything.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Did a load of stuff since early this morning. First half of my day in the office, then a mid day snooze. After, got going on ‘make wifey happy’ tasks, amongst other things.

Aside from a bunch of other mundane tasks, the MWH tasks were to finally set up her beloved swing bed. It can be set up as a long swing chair, but we just keep it season after season in bed mode.

Did a sanding of the Adirondak chairs I started on a few nites ago and did some reinforcing of them with some GRK screws. I did another patch up also with the Platinum Patch stuff I got from HD including going over the new reinforcing screws I countersunk below the surface. Should give a nice clean look once further sanded, primed and painted. Wifey wants them a nice bright mountain blue she picked at Ben Moore.

Frankly, I think to some extent we should have just bought some PVC plastic Adirondak chairs in an amenable color and tossed these puppies one day when they are truly toast. Paid $150 in primer and paint and all this work!

But ya gotta make the lady of the house happy and she says that other plastic chairs she’s sat in don’t feel as comfortable as these near 20 year old ones I bought as a kit at Costco nearly 20 years ago. I was recalling tonite how I had softened/rounded the edges of the seat and backrest slats before assembling way back then. I suppose it’s worth the effort still in restoring rather than letting them go to pot.

There is a part of me that likes keeping these guys though. Just my nature to want to restore and renew where possible. Becomes something to talk about of sorts also. You gotta love stuff like that. Remarkably, they are made of pine. Can’t believe they lasted this long. They spent almost all winters outside unprotected.

There’s also a little story behind them. First time I went to paint them in my garage, it went fine initially. Painted them with an alkyd paint/stain late one night, and then went to go to bed. Within hours, they started to off-gas. Like real bad. Had to haul them outside at 4AM out of my attached garage and then open all the windows in the house and get all the fans I had on hand to blow out the fumes. Wifey was away at my MILs at the time, but I remember that like it was yesterday. The fumes were incredibly strong. Probably gave me a high and maybe a dose of brain damage, who knows. Just glad I woke up to deal with it.

I guess I don’t want to part with them also.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

By the time I got home from work it was too hot to do anything.

Yeah it gets that way. I myself enjoy the heat but it slows you down for sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@doobie yeah they lasted longer than the plastic ones my wife bought a few years ago , I think we got 3 years out of them , even stored them in the shed over the winter, it seems like it was always the back that started to crack and break

Doobie

doobie yeah they lasted longer than the plastic ones my wife bought a few years ago , I think we got 3 years out of them , even stored them in the shed over the winter, it seems like it was always the back that started to crack and break

Those must be the el-cheapo BB store types I assume. Ribbed plastic that gets knocked over in the wind.

I’ve seen some solid types plastic/PVC ones sold online, but they were a couple of hundred a piece. Like these ones I just did a quick search on….

Problem is right away for us is wifey likes to move them all the time to where the sun is. Those online Amazon buggers weigh near 50 lbs. Our wooden ones are like maybe 10-15 lbs each. Wifey can carry them off the ground and go jogging with one of them if she wanted to.

EDIT: That Amazon chair showed up at $265 a piece, but for some reason the link now shows as currently unavailable.

Another factor too is that I believe the solid plastic ones will tend to get hot and hold heat in the hot summer sun, even in white. Wood, not nearly as bad even in a mid tone color like the near sky blue paint she selected for ours.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Problem is right away for us is wifey likes to move them all the time to where the sun is

Move them with a dolly.

doobie yeah they lasted longer than the plastic ones my wife bought a few years ago , I think we got 3 years out of them , even stored them in the shed over the winter, it seems like it was always the back that started to crack and break

Those must be the el-cheapo BB store types I assume. Ribbed plastic that gets knocked over in the wind.

I’ve seen some solid types plastic/PVC ones sold online, but they were a couple of hundred a piece. Like these ones I just did a quick search on….

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”Adirondack Chair (White) by Royale Muskoka – Extra Wide Seating, Polywood Faux Wood, Waterproof and Durable, Heavy 21 kg, Last Lifetime” type=”text/html” width=”770″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.ca/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_eOszyccB5pcdaM&asin=B083ZKZYC7&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe></figure&gt;
    Problem is right away for us is wifey likes to move them all the time to where the sun is. Those online Amazon buggers weigh near 50 lbs. Our wooden ones are like maybe 10-15 lbs each. Wifey can carry them off the ground and go jogging with one of them if she wanted to.

EDIT: That Amazon chair showed up at $265 a piece, but for some reason the link now shows as currently unavailable.

Another factor too is that I believe the solid plastic ones will tend to get hot and hold heat in the hot summer sun, even in white. Wood, not nearly as bad even in a mid tone color like the near sky blue paint she selected for ours.

Yup totally agree , those plastic ones were from I believe Rona or maybe home Depot , something like 20 bucks each , junk , never again , ours were red , not bad for getting to hot in the sun ,
    Definitely won’t be buying them anymore ,

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

These chairs are everywhere down here people like them in teal and pink 😂 for some reason.

Doobie

These chairs are everywhere down here people like them in teal and pink 😂 for some reason.

I gotta think the pink is to go with the Pink Flamingos down there.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yup totally agree , those plastic ones were from I believe Rona or maybe home Depot , something like 20 bucks each , junk , never again , ours were red , not bad for getting to hot in the sun ,
    Definitely won’t be buying them anymore ,

I think Home Hardware sold those chairs also. Oh man I found those chairs very uncomfortable. They were really flimsy. I glad wifey didn’t like them.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Oh man she is hot one today. I just got done the grass before lunch. Now heading to workshop for a bit. I was going organize my shed. To hot for that job today.

Greg

Oh man she is hot one today. I just got done the grass before lunch. Now heading to workshop for a bit. I was going organize my shed. To hot for that job today.

Yeah I just came in from putting the vacuum in the pool , I was going to cut the grass , but since we have water restrictions since mid last week , I think I’ll just leave it alone , I like to keep it slightly longer when it’s very hot outside ,
    I think it’s going to be a sit my @$$ down by the pool day today

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

LO I think those are the national colors for south Florida.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Finally got the new nitrogen bottle hooked up with a pressure valve , no leaks starting another bake out of the filling station ,
    Once it’s up and running , I’ll go help my friend in the assembly department.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I spent some time in the shop yesterday finishing a balance board I was making my daughter. I had round the corners,attach the cleats to the bottom of the board. Then I put 3/8 round over on the bottom and top edges. Then on some sanding and applied 3 coats of water base poly. Then I applied grip tape after the finish dried.

Greg

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed an aluminum patio door in the morning and that was it.
    Too hot.

Doobie

Started on a long overdue job to start installing an outdoor protected outlet just outside my shed door. Initially, I was gonna put in a single recepticle on one side of the door, but decided on a double feed 20A each gang outlet, so fortunately I had considered this possibility and hadn’t yet caulk the Hardie on the other side either, so it was a go for the double gang outlet instead.

I didn’t want two things about it though. One, if it was face mount, not only would it really stick out a lot in what is a highly visible location, and I also didn’t want it to be on a 5-7 degree on the face of the siding, so it was McGiver time.

Took a while, but I got it figured out. Using my 18V Makita hole cutter for the first time was a treat. It is ideal for cutting out nice clean and straight holes/lines in drywall or wood, today I was using the wood blade to cut thru my half inch sheating.

Drilled one hole from the inside to identify where the edge of the stud was, figured out how to tailor cut my Hardie to accomodate, then cutting the hole was a cinch. Went a little askew on one cut, but it was so easy using that serated blade to shave off the 16th or so off in a nicely shaved 2 inch stretch. No messy over burring doing that. Great new tool from Makita. Hands down!

Ran out of gas on it all and will resume tomorrow hopefully, although it looks to be a rain day. Here’s pics galore of todays progress. You’ll note at one point I had to redo a notch out on the Hardie. Thankfully I did a dry fit, second assessment at that point otherwise it wpuld have been a doggish issue had I missed correcting that later.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door and a basement window.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Started on a long overdue job to start installing an outdoor protected outlet just outside my shed door. Initially, I was gonna put in a single recepticle on one side of the door, but decided on a double feed 20A each gang outlet, so fortunately I had considered this possibility and hadn’t yet caulk the Hardie on the other side either, so it was a go for the double gang outlet instead.

I didn’t want two things about it though. One, if it was face mount, not only would it really stick out a lot in what is a highly visible location, and I also didn’t want it to be on a 5-7 degree on the face of the siding, so it was McGiver time.

Took a while, but I got it figured out. Using my 18V Makita hole cutter for the first time was a treat. It is ideal for cutting out nice clean and straight holes/lines in drywall or wood, today I was using the wood blade to cut thru my half inch sheating.

Drilled one hole from the inside to identify where the edge of the stud was, figured out how to tailor cut my Hardie to accomodate, then cutting the hole was a cinch. Went a little askew on one cut, but it was so easy using that serated blade to shave off the 16th or so off in a nicely shaved 2 inch stretch. No messy over burring doing that. Great new tool from Makita. Hands down!

Ran out of gas on it all and will resume tomorrow hopefully, although it looks to be a rain day. Here’s pics galore of todays progress. You’ll note at one point I had to redo a notch out on the Hardie. Thankfully I did a dry fit, second assessment at that point otherwise it wpuld have been a doggish issue had I missed correcting that later.

I is always nice to have outdoor outlet. That was one thing had do when I moved here as there was no outdoor outlet.

That Makita hole saw looks like quite the tool. I never really heard of them before. I will have too check them out.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Installed a door and a basement window.

At your house or for a customer?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1,541 through 1,560 (of 2,056 total)
  • The topic ‘V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.065 seconds