dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,481 through 1,500 (of 2,056 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Are you guys selling the appliances with the house , or taking them with you

We are selling the appliances. As we are planning on renting our place.

Don’t rentals come with the main kitchen appliances?

I most rentals do come with kitchen appliances. When bought this place one apartment the tenant was using there own appliances. So when they moved out I had buy appliances. I have had tenants wanting to use there own appliances.

Same here , lots of places you can find both with or without , it’s cheaper if you bring your own , but they definitely charge more for places that includes the appliances.

Most, if not almost all of my renter clients have the main appliances that I’m depreciating and replacing regularly as needed. I think in the GTA, it’s mostly expected around here that appliances are included. Exception would be for a whole house rental, but not a basement apartment where compact versions are sometimes needed but not exclusively.

Doobie

The other day I went and started the lawn mower and it konked out after about 3 seconds. Fortunately, I figured out what the problem was and had the spare NGK spark plug and 5 minutes later, I was off cutting the grass but I figure it may be time for an oil and air filter change. Shamefully, last one was 4-5 years ago.

Coulda sworn I had a part bottle of the mower oil, but after looking twice in places I’d typically stash that kind of item, I can’t find it. It needs SAE 10W-30, API SJ or later, for general use. The engine is a Honda GCV190.

Here’s the problem, I can find the NGK spark plug and an OEM air filter online Thru amazon, but I’m having a heck of a time finding what may be the proper lawn mower 4 stroke motor oil.

I’m really lost when it comes to engine oils. Another place in my owners manual it simply says to use 4-Stroke automotive detergent oil for API service category SJ or later.

Anybody can chime in on this, but I know that JDO does small engine repair, so I’ll tag him of course.

@JimDaddyO

Here’s a gallon of Honda Branded OEM oil I ‘think’ is suitable, not even sure.

Here’s a cheaper/smaller sized possibility of a brand I’ve never heard of…

HELP!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I’m really lost when it comes to engine oils. Another place in my owners manual it simply says to use 4-Stroke automotive detergent oil for API service category SJ or later.

The API listing will be right on the can. Pretty much any 10W30 auto engine oil will do. Change it more often….lol. I buy 4l jugs of it at NAPA or Canadian Tire. A mower will only need a litre or so depending on the model, so it will go a long way. It won’t go bad.

I copied and pasted this:

Category S is for “Spark Ignition”, for Gasoline and category C is for “Compression Ignition’, for Diesel. For both, the letter S or C is followed by another letter. For example, SM or CF. The higher the letter, the more recent the technology of the oil. For recent oil, the higher specification will supersede the lower letter grade. For example, if we have an oil with specification SN, it can also be used for vehicles which request API SM, SL and SJ; it is backward compatible.

So the “J” specification means you can use any letter higher than that also..K,L,M,…..

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

Thanks Jim. I think I’m just gonna go to CT or Napa to get the oil.

But in reading what you just said, I went downstairs and found this old Castrol bottle that was leftover from a car we got rid of 8 years ago that needed top ups.

I had in my head there was a diff with what oil was needed for 4 stroke verus other engines. I guess not?

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I had in my head there was a diff with what oil was needed for 4 stroke verus other engines. I guess not?

The other option is 2 stroke oil that you mix with gas. Not what you want.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

But in reading what you just said, I went downstairs and found this old Castrol bottle that was leftover from a car we got rid of 8 years ago that needed top ups.

That bottle you found will work OK, it probably is not SJ if it is 8 years old , but that standard has more to do with a catalytic converter than lubricating properties. Actually usually the older standard oil has more lubricating properties than the newer standards but the newer standadrds have more detergents. Anyway for a lawnmower that bottle in the photo will be fine.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed 4 PVC windows in a triplex rental today.

Doobie

The other option is 2 stroke oil that you mix with gas. Not what you want.

That I knew. Funny, now that everything is going battery and I have a host of Makita outdoor stuff, I’m thinking of getting rid of the few 2-stroke things I have entirely.

That bottle you found will work OK, it probably is not SJ if it is 8 years old , but that standard has more to do with a catalytic converter than lubricating properties. Actually usually the older standard oil has more lubricating properties than the newer standards but the newer standadrds have more detergents. Anyway for a lawnmower that bottle in the photo will be fine.

I read the fine print on the back and I think it said it was good for SM, so I’d be good. Thanks Bill!

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Started framing 4 decks on thee 4plex I built last fall. My helper didn’t show so it was a slow start. Hopefully have them done tomorrow.

Doobie

Today was tax filing deadline day for folks who have self-employment activities on their tax returns here in Canada. Yes, I do tax returns this time of year for the past 30 years now in fact.

Turned out to be a long and busy day although it seemed to start out innofensive enough. Last minuters drove me nuts today for which I thought many were simply gonna be late filers but somehow, those who did come forward with their last remnants for which some I’d bugged for well over a month for last bits of info, all got in by the deadline but two of them who still had stuff missing although they ‘thought’ they had it all. Read my emails dummies! Think I filed over 20 something returns today, thought at best I’d have half a dozen or so including ours.

Still have some other stragglers to deal with too though. There always is. Nature of the beast. It’ll be round-up and clean-up the office time over the next two weeks or so, but the worst is over. Thank goodness, by this point, I’m already getting that fedup feeling quite acutely.

With Covid, and being able to do no face to face contact returns, I got tons of referrals this year. I almost wish I never imposed no-contact early on in mid March via a mass email distribution to my existing client base of tax clients. But that was the safe thing to do. I go down for an extended period due to Covid, it would have been chaos, never mind risking transmitting it to others. The thought of being the cause of one of my clients dying from it would not sit well at all.

I think I added 80-100 additional returns this year although 25-30 or so are multi year returns of new folks who suddenly were looking for refunds via suddenly being out of work and desperately looking for money. One gal I did for ten years of tax returns has just shy of 12 grand coming her way. She was terrified when she called me thinking she owed. What a surprise it was for her. I suppose I’m on her Christmas card list now.
    She’d even have more if we were allowed to do beyond ten years, but they cap us here in Canada at a ten year limit in catching up with our taxes although the governmemt can go back to one’s diaper years if they know they are owed money. Bloody unfair! (That was a rule passed I recall in May of 2005.)

I’m gonna have to shoo many away next year as I can’t handle that many more if the April 30 deadline is back and not have til June 1st like we did this year due to Covid for regular filers.

Curious, in the US, did they extend the tax filing and payment due dates for tax returns/payments due to Covid like they did here in Canada? That was one things here I have to applaud our government on, they did that in I think the 3rd week of March.

Regardless, I capped off the nite with finishing my own return and transmitting it with an hour to spare before the 3AM cut-off. Didn’t matter as it turned out to my surprise I’m getting a refund for the first time in I can’t remember how long by virtue of being able to income split for the first time with my recently retired in 2019 wife’s pension income. Yippee! If you don’t owe, there’s basically no penalty for filing late, but I didn’t realize it til I was getting the last of my numbers entered.

But more importantly, this signals for me the beginning of the end once I clean up the pieces left to do, and the beginning of what is fun time….summer outdoor build season. Basically, unless there’s a fire to put out, so to speak, I don’t typically turn on my desktop for weeks at a time over the next few months once I’m in my seasonal outdoor build mode.

Yes indeed. Looking very much forward to getting on with the backyard builds. Gonna start slow with some easy stuff to finish on past work, and put a materials list together for the bigger builds I plan on.

Last year was a real let-down for me as I went and blew a rotator cuff doin a stupid Hercules move in hauling a skid and a half of concrete bags into my backyard when my body was still not quite out of winter shape at the end of June. Ruined any meaningful work for last year. That was very frustrating last year. Fingers crossed I respect better my aging body this year, although it’s hard….I just really enjoy working hard. Something inbued in me as a youngster.

The big projects…..a cabana/overhang/sauna build that the pier footings were done two years ago; a second storage shed, piers are ready also (10×15): a deck around our above ground 36X19 pool, piers also already in place. I get all these done this year, I’ll be on Cloud 9.

But right this moment at 3AM, having passed the finish post with this annual semi-dreaded deadline day for me…..it’s ‘Miller Time’ albeit a la Heineken, Lol! Cheers!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Started framing 4 decks on thee 4plex I built last fall. My helper didn’t show so it was a slow start. Hopefully have them done tomorrow.

That’s a lot of decks, looks lie you got a good start though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So those decks are basically right beside each other , gotta love the neighbors being that close LoL
    Looking good for being by yourself though ,
    Nice building 👌

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Think I filed over 20 something returns today,

I don’t think I would have made it trying to do that much paper work. Sometimes I think it’s harder than moving wood and pounding nails. Exhausting!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So those decks are basically right beside each other

I saw that too, makes the job nice, one design, materials and then you just do 4 jobs at once.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

So those decks are basically right beside each other , gotta love the neighbors being that close LoL

Nice building 👌

I wonder if the side by side decks/balconies would have a wall separator in between, or can they basically touch each other?

Will the lower decks be built further out so they get some sun exposure?

Nice building 👌

I wonder if the side by side decks/balconies would have a wall separator in between, or can they basically touch each other?

Judging by the picture , I see a support wall between them , but not sure how far the deck would be allowed to come out further from the separation , I don’t think it’s allowed by code for that style and type of property , but maybe Alex will let us know more

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Curious, in the US, did they extend the tax filing and payment due dates for tax returns/payments due to Covid like they did here in Canada?

Ours is pushed to July 15 from the traditional April 15.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Regardless, I capped off the nite with finishing my own return and transmitting it with an hour to spare before the 3AM cut-off. Didn’t matter as it turned out to my surprise I’m getting a refund for the first time in I can’t remember how long by virtue of being able to income split for the first time with my recently retired in 2019 wife’s pension income. Yippee! If you don’t owe, there’s basically no penalty for filing late, but I didn’t realize it til I was getting the last of my numbers entered.

Wow that’s along day.

I finally got caught up on my taxes this year. I was year behind due having scheduling issuse with person who prepare our taxes for last 14 years. So this we found other person who could do our taxes for us. It was must easier process and saved me alot of money.

The big projects…..a cabana/overhang/sauna build that the pier footings were done two years ago; a second storage shed, piers are ready also (10×15): a deck around our above ground 36X19 pool, piers also already in place. I get all these done this year, I’ll be on Cloud 9.

I look forward hearing about your builds this year. I hope all goes well.

.I just really enjoy working hard. Something inbued in me as a youngster.

I too like to work hard. I probably work harder now then I did when I was young.
    There is a guy I work with commented about how hard I work. He said when he started 3 years ago he couldn’t be how I hustled. I told I guess that explains why I am tired when I get home at the end of the day.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Curious, in the US, did they extend the tax filing and payment due dates for tax returns/payments due to Covid like they did here in Canada?

That’s even better than here. And here, people who owe have til September 1st to pay, afterwards, the interest clock starts ticking on amounts left unpaid.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah that was a nice break for us. Gave me more time to put it off.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1,481 through 1,500 (of 2,056 total)
  • The topic ‘V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.398 seconds