dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I clicked on photos earlier in this thread the other day… and closed my eyes and kept my mouth shut.

But for whatever reason, I couldn’t erase the image from my mind, so at the risk of being considered a “slagging hanger on”, I’m going to repost the photo that my mind didn’t let go of.

If nothing else, perhaps some discussion as to other mitigating measures will ensue, providing insightful education to help homeowners.

https://www.termite.com/termites/termites-washington.html

Good post! 👍

While there are some areas with termites here in Ontario Canada, it is pretty well not an issue much for most of us. Here, it is all about rot with slushy snow loads near ground level not being designed correctly to address.

I clicked on photos earlier in this thread the other day… and closed my eyes and kept my mouth shut.

But for whatever reason, I couldn’t erase the image from my mind, so at the risk of being considered a “slagging hanger on”, I’m going to repost the photo that my mind didn’t let go of.

If nothing else, perhaps some discussion as to other mitigating measures will ensue, providing insightful education to help homeowners.

Pretty interesting info , we really don’t have to deal with termites here , but definitely have those pesky carpenter ants
    I know that there are precautions when building or working on house’s that are in the territories of termites
    I’ve seen DWB use special metal plates before sitting wood posts to use as support for housing in Hawaii.
    Thanks for the insight.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

You make an excellent point with your observations @cb While @doobie is right in a way, there are significant areas of termite infestation in Southern Ontario. The species most commonly found is a subterranean insect which lives in an underground colony and travels through tunnels into structures to feed. Wood/soil contact provides the vehicle for this travel. Building inspectors throughout Ontario will call out such areas of wood/soil contact for remedial work as a precaution.

Transport of fill from infected areas into new construction areas is the most common means of propagation.

I know from personal experience how unpleasant, difficult and expensive it is to have to treat a home with a termite problem. I don’t want to have to do that again … ever.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

A day late on this post. Grandson had a hockey game about 60 miles away yesterday. I didn’t mind because the rink was only 10 minutes from one of my favorite lumber stores. Picked up some hickory, red elm, curly cherry, black mesquite, and quartersawn white oak. The store always has nice boards I can’t find elsewhere like the black mesquite. Quartersawn white oak has always been a favorite of mine. Here are 3 pictures of the same quartersawn board and a shot of a section of black mesquite. I have never seen a circular ray pattern before that you will see in the white oak.

Doobie

I have never seen a circular ray pattern before that you will see in the white oak.

Neither have I. Did they charge a premium for them?

A day late on this post. Grandson had a hockey game about 60 miles away yesterday. I didn’t mind because the rink was only 10 minutes from one of my favorite lumber stores. Picked up some hickory, red elm, curly cherry, black mesquite, and quartersawn white oak. The store always has nice boards I can’t find elsewhere like the black mesquite. Quartersawn white oak has always been a favorite of mine. Here are 3 pictures of the same quartersawn board and a shot of a section of black mesquite. I have never seen a circular ray pattern before that you will see in the white oak.

Congrats Lon , looks like you had a good day
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen that type of wood before
    Pretty interesting swirls
    What will you be making with those

Hope your grandson had a fun game of hockey

Did they charge a premium for them?

The quartersawn white oak is just a little more expensive than normal white oak. The quartersawn process wastes some wood while being cut that way. I thought they should have charged more for that board.

I look for unusual boards Brian and just pick ones with figure, cool looking grain patterns, etc. and incorporate them into cutting boards. I just had a customer order a dozen cutting boards for Christmas presents along with some other items I make. That’s where the short pieces come from for the smaller memo boards. What is still left may wind up being a pen blank. Not much left over in my shop except saw dust. And the grandson’s team won 5-0 with him blasting a slap shot into the net.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

We had some real strong storms move through Saturday. Lots of trees down and I mean lots. Spent Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday with a chainsaw in my hands. Cutting myself and family members out to the main roads.
    No power for over half the county I live in. Over 300 poles down in one area. They are saying could be 7-10 days before some of us get power And I’m on the end of the line. So who knows how long. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

We had some real strong storms move through Saturday. Lots of trees down and I mean lots. Spent Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday with a chainsaw in my hands. Cutting myself and family members out to the main roads.
    No power for over half the county I live in. Over 300 poles down in one area. They are saying could be 7-10 days before some of us get power And I’m on the end of the line. So who knows how long. lol

No wonder you said you bought a new genie in the other thread.

Any damage to your house/structures Ron?

Did they charge a premium for them?

The quartersawn white oak is just a little more expensive than normal white oak. The quartersawn process wastes some wood while being cut that way. I thought they should have charged more for that board.

I look for unusual boards Brian and just pick ones with figure, cool looking grain patterns, etc. and incorporate them into cutting boards. I just had a customer order a dozen cutting boards for Christmas presents along with some other items I make. That’s where the short pieces come from for the smaller memo boards. What is still left may wind up being a pen blank. Not much left over in my shop except saw dust. And the grandson’s team won 5-0 with him blasting a slap shot into the net.

Well you definitely picked up some nice looking boards
    I’m looking forward to seeing what you get done with this

Glad to hear your grandson had fun , and by the sounds , scored a beauty of a goal.
    Thanks Lon

Do you have a website for your work you do , like the boards and pens.

With the car back I was able to go out and get a sheet of maple plywood for my next project. So nice having the freedom to get around again.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Thankfully no damage to any of my stuff. Just to the trees.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a patio door and a french entry door.

Doobie

Thankfully no damage to any of my stuff. Just to the trees.

That’s sad enough. I love trees. A majestic living moss of sorts covering much of the land masses of our planet.

Any specific unfortunate losses of a tree or trees for you Ron that served a purpose like shade or privacy?

Doobie

Nice doors, and work of course.

I may need to pick your brain at some point Sorin when I go do some of my doors. My front entry door is tired, and I have an old all steel double slider patio door that has seen better days also.

What you do in a day would take me a heck of a lot longer.

Like always Sorin , nice work , beautiful doors also.

Didn’t get much done today , pretty much just baby sitting the filling station. I am really not made for sitting around.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Nice doors, and work of course.

I may need to pick your brain at some point Sorin when I go do some of my doors. My front entry door is tired, and I have an old all steel double slider patio door that has seen better days also.

What you do in a day would take me a heck of a lot longer.

Any time you want.
    That was half a day.

Do you have a website for your work you do , like the boards and pens.

@boschmanbrian, no I don’t. If you are interested in seeing something, I can email pictures to you. Just send a private message to me. If you want something made for you, I will be honored to work on something.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I spent the day today at home in my shop working on a commission piece. I’m building a dog kennel/ tv console piece for a small family living in a tiny house. With two dogs. So they wanted to have something that looked nicer for their animals and took up less space.

Being at home I was able to take a break mid morning and go help at my girls’ school for a Halloween Harry Potter themed party too 🙂

I also got a call during lunch to go help an lady who had a broken light switch, so I took an hour and went over and got that replaced for her then went back to work on the dog kennel.

I attached the Pinterest inspiration pic too 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I spent the day today at home in my shop working on a commission piece. I’m building a dog kennel/ tv console piece for a small family living in a tiny house. With two dogs.

I must say that turned out very nice. I am sure the customer will pleased.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.561 seconds