dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

What was supposed to be a busy day building gerter trussses and preparing for a boom truck took a much more relaxed pace when I found out my trusses won’t be delivered until Wednesday.

Spent the day building the other 3 sets of stairs, adding beams for for covered decks and doing some back framing to kill the day.

Doobie

Made a list of materials, mostly PVC trim stuff, I need to do as part of the cladding for my lean-to shed and then headed to Lowes to take advantage of the last day of a 15% off promo they were running.

But I also needed more Cortex PVC hidden screws and it seems Lowes no longer carries them. Been looking all over the internet tonite to see where I can buy them here in Canada, but no luck. Gonna have to do some phone calls in the morning as I only have maybe enough to do 3 or 4 trim pieces til I run out. I need a ton more.

Another possible solution is to go with GRK same screws and make my own plugs, or just buy the PVC Cortex plugs if I find I can only buy them solo. More work I wasn’t planning on just to get work done around here. Just frustrating!

After a bunch of phone calls that went nowhere, a fluke call to my contact at the Lowes Pro desk resulted in acquiring two boxes totalling nearly 600 of the screws and two of the special torx T20 bits for them for $80 that were basically old special order boxes that fell thru. I actually saved some bucks.

I still have a good quantity of the white PVC plugs, and I went to LV and bought a 1/4 inch tapered plug cutter that should allow me to make my own plugs from scraps once my supply of plugs run out.

Altogether, I should be good for all my PVC concealed fastening needs for quite some time.

The GRK similar RT 9 screws can’t use the propietor T20 Cortex bit. This could have been an alternative, but now you’d be having to deal with a much slower depth setting effort doing it manually and risk damaging the face of the PVC also which would really defeat the point of concealing the fastener.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Started at a new house today. The HO has a long list of little things she needs done, so I’ll probably get more than just these next two days worth out of her. It’s always nice to have someone who needs you to come back, lol.

But today I spent the morning gathering tools and supplies, then started changing out a toilet, but the tank had a defect so the HO is getting a new tank from Lowes and I’ll finish the install tomorrow. I also glued a broken handrail back together and made a new crawlspace access door to replace the thrown together box that had started to mold and grow fungi all over it.

Charlie

Instagram

Started at a new house today. The HO has a long list of little things she needs done, so I’ll probably get more than just these next two days worth out of her. It’s always nice to have someone who needs you to come back, lol.

But today I spent the morning gathering tools and supplies, then started changing out a toilet, but the tank had a defect so the HO is getting a new tank from Lowes and I’ll finish the install tomorrow. I also glued a broken handrail back together and made a new crawlspace access door to replace the thrown together box that had started to mold and grow fungi all over it.

That looks good. It kind of reminds me of something you would see on an old sailing ship.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

Materials research and driving around to Lowes and LV for supplies this morning. It was raining anyways.

Late in the day, took a frame and sonotube off a pier for a new lamp post, and then put on some housewrap on my lean-to shed build. Tools are all set to go for trim work in the morning.

Good to see you getting repeat customers
    What was wrong with the tank
    That new door and frame came out nice , easy and practical idea Charlie 👍

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a bow window and a patio door.
    I should’ve installed the front door too but it was too big. Somebody screwed up the measures. I’ll install it tomorrow along with some siding above the bow window and garages.

Doobie

Tools are all set to go for trim work in the morning.

Total fail to get back out on that today. Did the mistake of answering ONE phone call early this morning and it morphed into a full day of fire fighting on the phone. That’s life some times.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@boschmanbrian The tank had a hair sized crack in the bottom corner that would just bead and drip down the side. I didn’t realize it wasn’t coming from the tank bolts until the second time taking it all apart and shining my fl12 across the surface to see where the drips were coming from.

Today I went back and got the new tank installed, but then after flushing it a few times realized that the wax ring hadn’t sealed and water was leaking out from under the bowl! Ugh! But luckily the replacement tank came with an extra wax ring so I uninstalled it completely, stuck the extra ring on top and everything smushed down nice and tight and then worked perfectly the rest of the day as I got the rest of the items done. But man, that toilet was a pain!

After that I hung a towel rack, cleaned a gutter, cleaned the dryer vent, fixed some weird trim in their sun room, caulked a joint between some flooring and their sliding door, removed some rotting exterior trim and installed flashing and decking, and fixed a pair of French doors that were hung really crooked by the previous HO.

Charlie

Instagram

@boschmanbrian The tank had a hair sized crack in the bottom corner that would just bead and drip down the side. I didn’t realize it wasn’t coming from the tank bolts until the second time taking it all apart and shining my fl12 across the surface to see where the drips were coming from.

Today I went back and got the new tank installed, but then after flushing it a few times realized that the wax ring hadn’t sealed and water was leaking out from under the bowl! Ugh! But luckily the replacement tank came with an extra wax ring so I uninstalled it completely, stuck the extra ring on top and everything smushed down nice and tight and then worked perfectly the rest of the day as I got the rest of the items done. But man, that toilet was a pain!

After that I hung a towel rack, cleaned a gutter, cleaned the dryer vent, fixed some weird trim in their sun room, caulked a joint between some flooring and their sliding door, removed some rotting exterior trim and installed flashing and decking, and fixed a pair of French doors that were hung really crooked by the previous HO.

Ah that can be extremely hard to see ,
    I always try to go with the thicker Wax seals I don’t like those thin ones that come with the toilet

Glad you won that battle , some days are like that ,
    Sounds like you had a pretty productive and full day of work

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

That trim board looks like a problem in the making. What is it’s purpose?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I got the car back yesterday! Now I can start gathering materials again. Some body work that was quoted as taking a week, took a month, and only got partially done. At least the bad part is fixed now.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I had to cut out a section and make two extension cords out of one because when I was sharpening a chisel on the little belt grinder the cord came in contact with the lower wheel grinding through and tripping the breaker.

Will

Went into the plant this morning for a few hours , came home , repair a few things around the house seeing it’s a beautiful day for working outside.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door with a sidelight and sis some siding.
    I’ll have to dig for some pics in my phone.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Snow load on the cheap boat cover last year caused the ‘center pole’ to push though the cover. A few 2×3’s and now it can snow all it wants. 🙂

Attachments:

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

I should’ve installed the front door too but it was too big. Somebody screwed up the measures. I’ll install it tomorrow along with some siding above the bow window and garages.

Wow nice job on the window and patio door , looks like it’s always been there ,
    That bow window is huge.

Doobie

Went to HD in the morning for more materials for my lean-to build and some other upcoming projects. When I got home I realized that the girl missed scanning a steel post PVC outdoor cover kit. I ain’t complaining although I do feel a bit weird about it inside my gut. It was right in front of her for crying out loud. The receipt was close to $500 bucks anyways, how was I supposed to know she missed it, they roam around your cart scanning things like bunny rabbits and I rarely even look at what I’m paying for come credit card insertion time. Saved about $130. Can’t say I’m feelin’ proud frankly, but I’ll take it.

This afternoon, I went about installing my new lamp post. Had to finish dressing up the pier I poured for it. Then, just as it was getting too dark to see itsy bitsy screws near the end of the shade assemblies, it was done. Another item off my list of to-dos. Still have some back filling to do there.

CB
    Pro

I clicked on photos earlier in this thread the other day… and closed my eyes and kept my mouth shut.

But for whatever reason, I couldn’t erase the image from my mind, so at the risk of being considered a “slagging hanger on”, I’m going to repost the photo that my mind didn’t let go of.

If nothing else, perhaps some discussion as to other mitigating measures will ensue, providing insightful education to help homeowners.

https://www.termite.com/termites/termites-washington.html

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Wow nice job on the window and patio door , looks like it’s always been there ,
    That bow window is huge.

Thanks!
    The biggest I had was made of 6 windows.
    70″ high. Frickingly heavy.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.775 seconds