dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,021 through 2,040 (of 2,056 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Man JDO sometimes it seems like you can’t get a break.

Yeah, seems that way. The new furnace is slightly deeper in dimension that the one that was there, so I have a project to close it in now. I expect it will lead to something else.

to bad I’m far away from you , I’d definitely offer some of my time to help out.

Thanks. I am not sure what we are going to do. Likely nothing. No way to find the same stuff and I would think the laminate tongue has cracked on the back of it. If anything gets done we will probably have to replace the whole living room floor.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

I took the day off work today as I was feeling too good.

I hear ya. When I feel good, I call in sick too! Happens every so often.

When I feel really really good…. when I call in that I’m not coming in, I also will tell the boss to screw himself!

😂 😎 😛

When I feel really really good…. when I call in that I’m not coming in, I also will tell the boss to screw himself!

😂 😎 😛

LoL 😂 🤣
    I should try that also ,
    You are lucky , aren’t you your own boss 🤭🤫

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah, seems that way. The new furnace is slightly deeper in dimension that the one that was there, so I have a project to close it in now. I expect it will lead to something else.

I know that one thing leads to another and pretty soon with all the fix up you won’t want to sell the place.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’m currently working on parking garage membrane repair. Using a Bosch cup grinder with shroud and Blastrac vacuum for silica collection.

surfacegrinder2

A Working Pro since 2004

I’m currently working on parking garage membrane repair. Using a Bosch cup grinder with shroud and Blastrac vacuum for silica collection.

surfacegrinder2

That looks pretty interesting , what do you mean membrane , replacing the membrane , or just repairing it , and what is the membrane supposed to do , I assume make it waterproof , is that because another level below the one you are working on , that’s a nice setup ,

Doobie

😂 😎 😛

LoL 😂 🤣

I should try that also ,

Yes I am. Been my own boss for 31 years this month.

But I couldn’t help playin with Greg’s typo ommission. Hehehe!

😭😭😭@doobie just responded to your post , that one and another one earlier responding to Chris above , looks like both went to the sky lol
    Feel free to remove points for this post

😂 😎 😛

LoL 😂 🤣

I should try that also ,

Yes I am. Been my own boss for 31 years this month.

But I couldn’t help playin with Greg’s typo ommission. Hehehe!

Yeah that’s what I thought , I was my own boss for close to 15 years when we (me and my partner ) had our little renovation company , to be honest , I miss those days , actually doing what I like

Yeah definitely just joking around , we’ve all made those typos , what was mine not to long ago 🤷‍♂️oh well I forget but it was funny also , sometime it’s the auto correct 🤣😂
    Something stick or ah I can’t remember

Oh yeah @doobie I think another one got sent to junk I asked Chris in the above post about his job

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That was an interesting project for sure. Was it yours or a customer’s? By the way is palm tree wood good for building anything? Firewood?

Palms are very fibrous and break down quickly once cut. The material in the middle is typically very spongy and the outside near the surface more compact and hard.

It is a palm at a property I bought, but it is a very difficult removal. The reason being the palm is mature, 50 feet tall, with a 22″ base diameter. Also, I do not have space for a fell. On one side is the house, the other side is a wrought iron fence, then on the third side is a fish pond, plus an overhead wire near it. This means many traditional methods won’t work.

On a normal tree with regular branches, you can tie a rope to a higher branch, sit or stand on a crouch, then cut and lower the branches, but the palm is a single trunk, so nothing to tie to.

It wasn’t a true DIY, I had a helper who has tree climbing experience, and I also contracted a junk removal truck with a grapper.

So what I did was a multiple step process.

(1) My tree helper has an extension ladder that goes up to 35′. He gets up to that height, then he has a pair of spiked shoes with a safety tie around the palm. The spike shoes allowed him to get to about 42′. almost at the base of the palm fronds that shot up another 8 to 10 feet. From there he cut all the fronds off all the way around, as one large frond was cut he held it in his hand and throws them into the swale area where I would go drag them into a staging location for the trash grabber truck.

(2) Once all the palm fronds are removed, the palm is now about 40′ tall. He lowered himself with the tie off, then used a chainsaw to cut horizontally a piece about 10″ or so in depth. Once it cuts through, he grabbed it and toss it into the swale area again.

(3) He did another 4 cuts to remove 4 more pieces. Then he came down to rest. I went up and made 3 cuts. It was very difficult and the sawdust basically coats your entire body with it when you are so close and running the saw horizontally like that. The cut was not a real issue, and hanging off the tie rope with my shoes spiked inside the palm felt really sturdy. We were able to get it down to 30 feet in height by that time, basically till it is lower then the wire going across. I don’t know if you can see the wire at the top of the stump in this picture?

(4) Once we got to this point, the hard part is over. We called the grabber junk removal service. The truck came, and I instructed the operator to grab the tip of the palm stump, and grab it REAL tight, then we made a cut 10′ below. The grabber lifted the 10′ section up, under the wire, over the fence, and laid it down outside.

The grabber than took all the cutting and left.

I wish I had a phone with me when I was up there on top, and take a picture of a bird eye’s view. But I didn’t take anything up there, no phone no wallet no keys. When I came down I looked like someone totally wet rolling in sawdust.

Doobie

doobie just responded to your post , that one and another one earlier responding to Chris above , looks like both went to the sky lol

Cleared them both. I also found one a few pages back from @Miamicuse.

Feel free to remove points for this post

Fogget ’bout it! Lol! 🙂

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Installed a cabinet maker’s front vise on the basement workbench. It was a lot more involved installing to an already built bench versus planning for it. In the end though I was quite happy with it.

Too hot and muggy to work on the slabs we are flattening. Hopefully tomorrow.

Nice looking vise, that should come in handy.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I also found one a few pages back from @Miamicuse.

Wow that’s a post I made two weeks ago! I remember it disappearing and I actually said some four letter words because it was a long post with pictures and I had to rewrite the entire post!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well.

The folks that viewed our house yesterday couldn’t have been here more than 20 minutes. We wrote it off as tire kickers.

We got an offer from them conditional on the sale of their home by Sept 4 in a hot market area. We accepted. We ought to hear tomorrow if they accept the slight adjustments we made to their offer and the sold sign goes up if they do.

Things may get busy here come September while we go house hunting. Closing date will be October 23 or so.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Congrats Jim, hope the sale go smooth.

In our area if there is an executed contract, but sellers has various contingencies to meet like selling of their home, getting financing, doing inspection, we don’t put the sold sign, we put up a under contract sign, and that signals the buyers a backup contract is available in case the first offer fails.

If another buyer inquires, we say “the house is under contract but there are some contingencies to be met by Dep4, would you like to be contacted if it becomes available again?”

What really can throw a curve ball is they “sell” their house on Sep 3, but their contract has a contingency saying their buyer has to sell theirs by Oct 15, now you have a problem.

Down here we pretty much have done away with buyer selling their home contingencies. It’s still an addendum in the FARBAR but no one ever used it anymore due to most buyers won’t accept it. We also do mostly AS IS contracts as sellers don’t want to fix anything anymore.

Every market is different however.

Doobie

Well.

The folks that viewed our house yesterday couldn’t have been here more than 20 minutes. We wrote it off as tire kickers.

We got an offer from them conditional on the sale of their home by Sept 4 in a hot market area. We accepted. We ought to hear tomorrow if they accept the slight adjustments we made to their offer and the sold sign goes up if they do.

Things may get busy here come September while we go house hunting. Closing date will be October 23 or so.

Congratz Jim. Fingers crossed for you it goes thru.

Me, I got my canopy work area organized for starting on a second shed build that the beams laid accross the pier saddles can be seen in the second pic.

I’ve got a buddy who has been laid off due to Covid the last two months who is coming over to help. He’s going crazy at home with nothing to do most times.

I wasn’t sure if I had enough PT on hand to do this as the PT I have were bought last year for another smaller structure, but with leftovers from years past, I have just the right amount to get the base built.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well.

Congrats Jim! This is great news. Your right it can get pretty busy for you. I am sure they want your place bad enough they meet you conditions.

The sold side didn’t go up on the place we bought until the bank approved the
    purchase of the house. It was about 3 days after home owner accepted our offer. I know it will be a busy fall for this guy too.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

I also found one a few pages back from @Miamicuse.

Wow that’s a post I made two weeks ago! I remember it disappearing and I actually said some four letter words because it was a long post with pictures and I had to rewrite the entire post!

It was a great post then, and it still is now. 👍

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I got most of the furnace closed in today. A bit of figuring and using up wood but I ran out. I have to get some more for the door trims tomorrow. Turns out I am re trimming 3 doors to get everything to blend nicely.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

@Doobie When I open this thread, or post to it, it opens back up on page 68. Just a heads up. I don’t know what’s going on.

Viewing 20 posts - 2,021 through 2,040 (of 2,056 total)
  • The topic ‘V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.421 seconds