dcsimg

V-39 What did you do in the shop / site today?

• This topic has 222 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by  Sorpa.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Lets see what your doing on the job site or in the shop.
    Pics are a big plus.

Here’s the old one.
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/v-38-what-did-you-do-in-the-shop-site-today/

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

Yesterday, I finally started to deal with finishing a lean-to shed I was building last year that got interrupted by an early winter. Finished up on some bits of sheating and then proceeded to start dealing with things that needed to be done before I put shingles on it.

Today, I need to secure it to the house a bit as it doesn’t sit quite flush to the exterior house wall on one end. Have to install a couple of carriage bolts via my house’s studs and thru the brick and make a hole that thru the brick is big enough to compensate for any frost heaving of the lean-to and it’s pad just in case.

I really don’t think this pad is susceptible to heave, and there’s no evidence it heaved at all since I poured it last year, but with the frame needing just a little bit of a nudge of force to stay flush enough to the exterior of my house, I need to make sure it has the ability to move a bit.

I’m kinda lucky that one of the anchor points inside the house is in a small room that is gutted right now. The other anchor point will be in my garage/shop, so I don’t care that you’d see a bolt and big fat washer there.

I got as far as checking the hinges I just got and realizing that they are wrong. Oh well. Good day to kick back and relax I guess. Watching Nascar instead.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Finally got around to replacing the hook&loop pads on a couple of my Random Orbit Sanders – which was long overdue.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Finished off all the exterior winterizing
    🙁 I like fall weather , but hate the fact that we say goodbye summer ,
    I’m actually earlier this year

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Today, I need to secure it to the house a bit as it doesn’t sit quite flush to the exterior house wall on one end.

Are you on drugs? The building code specifically prohibits what you are doing. A floating structure cannot be permanently attached to a stationary one. Find another way. Best case, hire a professional who knows what he is doing.

Amateurs doing what you propose is what keeps professionals in business. Read the building code and live by it. It’s not something you can play with. If your neighbours who you constantly complain about call the building inspector again, he will have you ripping the whole thing out.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Today, I need to secure it to the house a bit as it doesn’t sit quite flush to the exterior house wall on one end.

Are you on drugs? The building code specifically prohibits what you are doing. A floating structure cannot be permanently attached to a stationary one. Find another way. Best case, hire a professional who knows what he is doing.

Amateurs doing what you propose is what keeps professionals in business. Read the building code and live by it. It’s not something you can play with. If your neighbours who you constantly complain about call the building inspector again, he will have you ripping the whole thing out.

First off, what I did allows for movement of what the free standing structure is. I even had made when I initially built it last fall with a sliding gasket of sorts where the top part of the structure leans against the house so that it can move freely if it ever does. No inner wall studs of the lean to are in direct contact with the irregular faced brick that clads that side of my house. Essentially, a 2×12 beam accross the entire 14 foot length leans on pt ply that I tapconned the ply to my house and each the beam and the ply have 6 mil poly on their meeting faces. The structure can just slide easily it it ever did and not be stuck/restricted by the brick face of that side of the house.

Second, I did ask an engineer buddy of mine a while back about this and while he says you do have to be careful and it is discouraged generally, just make sure to allow the fastener to be able to move freely should the slab go up and down. An inch all around in variable movement is what he says I should allow which is what I’ll achieved and some once I finish and to make sure it is going thru a stud in my house which it is. I fastened it today to work on it as I needed to do this for roofing work purposes, but the brick where it goes thru will be drilled out even wider and the 3/8ths carriage bolt will be surrounded by that plasticky foam you get in product packaging to keep insects and critters from getting into the wall cavity. He knows how I built my slab and the soil around here and there is excellent drainage, so it shouldn’t be a problem according to him. He doubts the slab would ever move anyways and so do I. A 3/8ths carriage bolt bends easily as well if it ever does get stressed. Nice thing is, if it ever does snap, I can easily replace it.

The soil around here below the two inches or so of topsoil is rock hard undisturbed clay for which I’ve dug or augered enough here to know. I’m maybe a kilometer away from lake Ontario. Most post hole digging companies around here charge a premium or don’t want the jobs around here. The clay is like cement.

And third finally, I did go to the town when I first was planning the build and asked if there was any permit required and had another engineer come tell me the same of what my buddy told me more or less. There are ways to partially do fastening to the main house if needed, but you do need to do them right, no question. Do you think I’m ever gonna blurt to my neighbor I have one floating anchor bolt in there now with all the crap that crumundgedly old fart has put me thru for nothing but aggravation on my endeovers over the years, you’re the one on drugs Peter, not me. Lol!

I had hoped that no physical fastening would be required, and if I didn’t have a door on the short side on that end tjat I so desperately want to keep, I coulda compensated in other ways, but I didn’t want to lose the door there and the amount of pull back to the side of my house was maybe a quarter of an inch at best and the force needed to push it place was minimal.

Once I clad it though, it should ‘stiffen it up’ somewhat as I plan using fiber cement siding where I can screwed on, and I may just disengage the fastener to see if it is no longer needed at some juncture. Trust me, even with all the advice and precautions I’ve taken, there’s still an element of concern in the back of my mind doing this.

I use that end of the structure constantly during the year, and if I ever see that there is any real movement, it would be easy to disengage it. It’s totally visible to detect that. That area is where I park my snowblower in the winter and my mower in the summer.

Don’t worry, I’m not the DIY dumdum you seem to allude. I do my homework, and have an excellent understanding as a DIYer of lot of this kind of stuff. When in doubt, I do consult with real pros who I actually know well. Not the internet on things like this. And those friends/pros won’t lead me wrong. If they do, I’ll maybe not do the financials/taxes I do for them so diligently with much care if they do steer me wrong…hehehe! Just kidding really, but you get what I mean in a sense.

Here’s some pics of the initial set up I needed to do to get on with the roofing work today. The way the roofing needed to run up under the drip edge cavity at the bottom of the upper portion on my house that has aluminum siding, I needed the lean-to to be flush of that quarter inch it was leaning away on that side. I still need to expand the hole thru the brick. Just needed to move on to the roofing in the interim. I had a more elaborate design in mind initially, but where I could drill from the inside came out perfect right where there was a vertical mortar joint no less for a much easier fastening set up. A half inch either up or down, I would have went with my initial idea, but this made it a lot easier.

Can you see the plastic bottom edge of the covered ply thay is fastened to the brick face and the 2×12 beam? It has plastic on it also against the plactic covering the ply also but it’s not visible on the beam as it is sandwhiched in there.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I got a few jobs done today. Replace a outside outlet that quite working. Changed the oil in my truck. Then I decided to just to replace the cover on my storage shelter. I had to move all my lumber out of the shelter so put the cover on. Then when I was done with cover I had re stack the lumber

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

First off, what I did allows for movement of what the free standing structure is. I even had made when I initially built it last fall with a sliding gasket of sorts where the top part of the structure leans against the house so that it can move freely if it ever does. No inner wall studs of the lean to are in direct contact with the irregular faced brick that clads that side of my house. Essentially, a 2×12 beam accross the entire 14 foot length leans on pt ply that I tapconned the ply to my house and each the beam and the ply have 6 mil poly on their meeting faces. The structure can just slide easily it it ever did and not be stuck/restricted by the brick face of that side of the house.

Second, I did ask an engineer buddy of mine a while back about this and while he says you do have to be careful and it is discouraged generally, just make sure to allow the fastener to be able to move freely should the slab go up and down. An inch all around in variable movement is what he says I should allow which is what I’ll achieved and some once I finish and to make sure it is going thru a stud in my house which it is. I fastened it today to work on it as I needed to do this for roofing work purposes, but the brick where it goes thru will be drilled out even wider and the 3/8ths carriage bolt will be surrounded by that plasticky foam you get in product packaging to keep insects and critters from getting into the wall cavity. He knows how I built my slab and the soil around here and there is excellent drainage, so it shouldn’t be a problem according to him. He doubts the slab would ever move anyways and so do I. A 3/8ths carriage bolt bends easily as well if it ever does get stressed. Nice thing is, if it ever does snap, I can easily replace it.

The soil around here below the two inches or so of topsoil is rock hard undisturbed clay for which I’ve dug or augered enough here to know. I’m maybe a kilometer away from lake Ontario. Most post hole digging companies around here charge a premium or don’t want the jobs around here. The clay is like cement.

And third finally, I did go to the town when I first was planning the build and asked if there was any permit required and had another engineer come tell me the same of what my buddy told me more or less. There are ways to partially do fastening to the main house if needed, but you do need to do them right, no question. Do you think I’m ever gonna blurt to my neighbor I have one floating anchor bolt in there now with all the crap that crumundgedly old fart has put me thru for nothing but aggravation on my endeovers over the years, you’re the one on drugs Peter, not me. Lol!

I had hoped that no physical fastening would be required, and if I didn’t have a door on the short side on that end tjat I so desperately want to keep, I coulda compensated in other ways, but I didn’t want to lose the door there and the amount of pull back to the side of my house was maybe a quarter of an inch at best and the force needed to push it place was minimal.

Once I clad it though, it should ‘stiffen it up’ somewhat as I plan using fiber cement siding where I can screwed on, and I may just disengage the fastener to see if it is no longer needed at some juncture. Trust me, even with all the advice and precautions I’ve taken, there’s still an element of concern in the back of my mind doing this.

I use that end of the structure constantly during the year, and if I ever see that there is any real movement, it would be easy to disengage it. It’s totally visible to detect that. That area is where I park my snowblower in the winter and my mower in the summer.

Don’t worry, I’m not the DIY dumdum you seem to allude. I do my homework, and have an excellent understanding as a DIYer of lot of this kind of stuff. When in doubt, I do consult with real pros who I actually know well. Not the internet on things like this. And those friends/pros won’t lead me wrong. If they do, I’ll maybe not do the financials/taxes I do for them so diligently with much care if they do steer me wrong…hehehe! Just kidding really, but you get what I mean in a sense.

Here’s some pics of the initial set up I needed to do to get on with the roofing work today. The way the roofing needed to run up under the drip edge cavity at the bottom of the upper portion on my house that has aluminum siding, I needed the lean-to to be flush of that quarter inch it was leaning away on that side. I still need to expand the hole thru the brick. Just needed to move on to the roofing in the interim. I had a more elaborate design in mind initially, but where I could drill from the inside came out perfect right where there was a vertical mortar joint no less for a much easier fastening set up. A half inch either up or down, I would have went with my initial idea, but this made it a lot easier.

Can you see the plastic bottom edge of the covered ply thay is fastened to the brick face and the 2×12 beam? It has plastic on it also against the plactic covering the ply also but it’s not visible on the beam as it is sandwhiched in there.

What’s the purpose of those red blobs on the drill bit in the first picture?
    Measuring?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@doobie What your engineer buddy told you and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee as far as the building inspector is concerned.

If you have signed engineering drawings; you’re ok.

Do it right or do it again; your choice. Keep in mind that this is a professional forum.

Still plugging away at the ion pump ,
    Waiting for the second cylinder of liquid nitrogen
    This and bouncing back and forth on the low volume control box assembly line

Doobie

What your engineer buddy told you and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee as far as the building inspector is concerned.

I know that. Like I said, I’m not shouting it from the mountain top around here.

There is another way of doing it maybe. A rubber pull strap from the carriage bolt to the opposite exterior frame wall. That may work if it has enough tension. But I want to try this route for now and see how it goes.

Keep in mind that this is a professional forum.

Hence why I wanted to explain things in such detail and one of the reasons I have my forum signature such as it has been for years also.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

There is another way of doing it maybe. A rubber pull strap from the carriage bolt to the opposite exterior frame wall.

LMAO Right, use a bungee cord, like a real pro would do.

Doobie

There is another way of doing it maybe. A rubber pull strap from the carriage bolt to the opposite exterior frame wall.

It’s not some dinky bungie cord I have in mind. A ratchet strap would do if the heavy rubber ones would prove insufficient.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It’s not some dinky bungie cord I have in mind. A ratchet strap would do if the heavy rubber ones would prove insufficient.

As much as I would like to continue this, I think all of us here know where this project is headed.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

A lot of cancellations today so I ended up installing only a door.

Why all the cancellations ,
    It was a nice day to change windows weather wise.

Doobie

Finished the roof on the lean-to shed today.

Let the rain and snow fly!

Used my 18 Starlock with the shingle cutter accessory to rip the last part row and also broke out the Bullet shearer to trim end pieces a lot quicker and cleaner than one can do otherwise.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have no idea.
    The job was cancelled by the customer.

I have no idea.
    The job was cancelled by the customer.

Oh well , sometimes these things happen ,
    Schedule don’t work and so on.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.748 seconds