dcsimg

V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?

• This topic has 1,000 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by RonW.
Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I got the drawers finished on the cabinet for the Glide; well, except for the drawer fronts. Bottom pull out will hold a tool box, all are on 100 lb full extension slides.
    Since we moved to this new house in the spring, I have been wondering what kind of colours we will get from our big maple tree in the side yard. It’s almost done turning to its fall show of colour. Every day a new array of tones.

Hopefully that maple gives many more great fall views.

What do you think of Axial Glide Peter? I am thinking of getting a better miter saw for the home workshop but the reviews are not too kind. How is the dust collection?

That maple is a source of great pleasure this time of year, for sure.

As for the Glide, I added a 96 tooth Dimar blade (the factory blade really sucks) and the DC hose mod to mine. That makes it barely tolerable as far as DC is concerned. It does give a clean, precise cut which makes it worth having. I have had no issues with holding square at all. It is a solid performing saw even at full capacity. The only option as far as I know to improve DC is to go to Festool; I wouldn’t consider going there, personally.

I am so pleased with the performance of the Glide overall, it’s my go-to crosscut and bevel tool. I will give it a full endorsement, DC aside.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I got the drawers finished on the cabinet for the Glide; well, except for the drawer fronts. Bottom pull out will hold a tool box, all are on 100 lb full extension slides.

Nice job on the stand for the glide Peter. Looks really nice as does the maple tree.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Since we moved to this new house in the spring, I have been wondering what kind of colours we will get from our big maple tree in the side yard. It’s almost done turning to its fall show of colour. Every day a new array of tones.

Your shop projects look better than what most people have in their homes. Pretty nice looking cabinet and well thought out. Enjoy the extra storage space.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, guys, I’m looking forward to finally being organized in the new shop. Starting on a hand saw till today, not that I use them as much as @jimdaddyo but I do like to have them available. I will get to practice some more on my dovetails.

I got a coat of BLO on all the little shiplap slats I made for the vanity door panels.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed 3 windows and 2 doors.
    Too tired for pics.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Emptied last years ash from the woodstove and replaced the weatherstrip on the shop door. Getting everything ready for the winter days in the shop.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Back at the bake out of the pumps again
    Looks like it’s working.

What do you mean when you say back out? I know I heard you say this before.

Well today I moved got into another mixing dept. I have never mixed in this dept before. It was alot harder work and there seem to be alot of problems today.

Looks like today will be my last day of work for the week. I had to take tomorrow off. I have to go the hospital first thing in the morning for a Ultra sound. Then to ER to find out my results of Ultra sound. I hope I find out what is wrong tomorrow. I am sure it will be a very long day.

It’s a very long process , and I’m not the best at writing skills , so I’ll just say Google bake out sorption or ion pumps

vacuum bake out

As for the Glide, I added a 96 tooth Dimar blade (the factory blade really sucks) and the DC hose mod to mine. That makes it barely tolerable as far as DC is concerned. It does give a clean, precise cut which makes it worth having. I have had no issues with holding square at all. It is a solid performing saw even at full capacity. The only option as far as I know to improve DC is to go to Festool; I wouldn’t consider going there, personally.

Thanks for the info Peter. There were a lot of folks on the reviews claiming the unit was not square in what I read. You need to be able to rely on it being square. I hear you on the Festool. Big difference in pricing between the Kapex and other units. I will probably get the Glide based on your confidence in the unit. I like the space saving with the glide mechanism. Just praying it is square when I get it. And yes, a blade upgrade would be in order.,

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for the info Peter. There were a lot of folks on the reviews claiming the unit was not square in what I read. You need to be able to rely on it being square. I hear you on the Festool. Big difference in pricing between the Kapex and other units. I will probably get the Glide based on your confidence in the unit. I like the space saving with the glide mechanism. Just praying it is square when I get it. And yes, a blade upgrade would be in order.,

There have been a lot of reviews, that’s for sure. From the ones I have seen, Wood Whisperer and Matt Estlea have been IMO the most honest and accurate. As you point out, one of the really attractive features is the space saving.

When I received mine, the box had not been treated well. It had been crushed, taped up and handled badly. The packaging inside took most of the beating and, when I checked it, no adjustment was needed. I have tweaked it a couple of times since but nothing serious. After about 4 years, I’m still very happy with it.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I’ve been very happy with my Glide. Had to adjust for square when I received it. And has staid sq sense. And it has done a bunch of cuts.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve been very happy with my Glide. Had to adjust for square when I received it. And has staid sq sense. And it has done a bunch of cuts.

I had to adjust mine too, but once I got that figured out it’s been awesome. I’ve had mine about three years now and I’ve loved it. Other than that it’s really heavy, lol.

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Beginning to cut dovetails today on the saw till. Layout is done, now comes the actual cutting, the nailbiting part of the job for me. I am trying gang cutting of the tails on the sides of the till for the first time.

Applying poly to all the little shiplap slats I made. A bit cool for it, but I think it will be OK.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I installed a baywindow. Kind of a difficult job.
    I’ll see what pictures I have.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Couple of pics.
    The window on the top floor I had to drag it up with ropes because it didn’t fit through the stair case.

I had to adjust mine too, but once I got that figured out it’s been awesome. I’ve had mine about three years now and I’ve loved it. Other than that it’s really heavy, lol.

I received mine maybe about two months ago , and aside from the inspection on the trueness of the Saw
    I can’t recall having to adjust it , after reading all these comments , I double checked it again today with my speed square , looks to be good
    I’ve only used it for rough cuts , 2x treated wood for the fence , and the odd 2x pine and pine 1×10 or 12 for shelves , it looks pretty accurate to me
    I still have the stock blade , I also have my frued finish blade I kept when I bought it years ago

Also almost finished closing the pool today , cut the backyard grass , but had to call it a day due to the rain

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Yesterday I went to the clinic after work to see what was causing me some discomfort in my abdomen. This clinic was a Tele Medicine clinic so they couldn’t help me. As there do doctor on site. They recommend I go to Hospital. So I took there advice and went to the ER at the hospital. I was there for 7 1/2 hours. The ER doctor had some tests & X rays done. From these tests they didn’t find what was causing my discomfort. I have go back to hospital on Friday for a Ultrasound.

Hope it’s nothing serious Greg. Good luck!

Just in case your wondering. Looks like I have nothing worry about.

vacuum bake out

Ok Brian I will google it. Thanks!

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@gtokley I’m glad there’s nothing serious going on.

Today I spent my morning writing bids for an upcoming deck renovation and catching up on a few emails.

Charlie

Instagram

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Managed to get all of our second floor exterior walls all up and braced for. The long weekend. Hopefully it looks the same when I get back to town tonight.

Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 1,001 total)
  • The topic ‘V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.014 seconds