dcsimg

V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?

This topic contains 1,000 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  RonW 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Today I did garage cleanup, wired in the 2 outside plugs on the new addition and started harvesting the grapes growing over my deck.

Looks like a decent amount of grapes
    I read that you are going to make jam /jelly I believe
    I’m sure it’s going to be great

I think I’ll be getting about 20 figs from my plants this year , not as many as I hoped for , but I’ll take it
    They should be ready by the end of the week , especially with the nice weather

That looks yummy!
    What are you doing with the plants in the winter?

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@cmeyer25 and how did you like the factory one , is it the Bosch model ? Did it meet your needs

I use it all the time now, mostly like @doobie said for keeping small pieces from falling into the well, I’m not doing much cross cutting with it, but it does what I need it to. And it takes four tiny little screws that hold it in place.

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Today I did garage cleanup, wired in the 2 outside plugs on the new addition and started harvesting the grapes growing over my deck.

Looks like a decent amount of grapes
    I read that you are going to make jam /jelly I believe
    I’m sure it’s going to be great

I think I’ll be getting about 20 figs from my plants this year , not as many as I hoped for , but I’ll take it
    They should be ready by the end of the week , especially with the nice weather

That looks yummy!
    What are you doing with the plants in the winter?

Thanks Sorin , they are pretty good , I actually bring them in for the winter , They are in big pots , I use my dolly/cart and wheel them in the garage for the winter , at my first home , I used to dig up a trench and bury them with plywood and a blanket for insulation , was a job , but makes a huge difference in the size of the tree and fruits.
    The only problem is if you decide to move , witch happened to me , it’s almost impossible to bring out the tree

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed a door today. Took out the old one, cut the wall, made a lintel, bit of a framing, usual stuff.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@cmeyer25 and how did you like the factory one , is it the Bosch model ? Did it meet your needs

I use it all the time now, mostly like @doobie said for keeping small pieces from falling into the well, I’m not doing much cross cutting with it, but it does what I need it to. And it takes four tiny little screws that hold it in place.

Okay so looks like I’ll be ordering the Bosch also 😁, yeah definitely need it with small pieces , and Yes I will eventually make a cross cut jig ,
    I think it’s also like Peter and others have mentioned , definitely helps to have a good quality blade

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Installed a door today. Took out the old one, cut the wall, made a lintel, bit of a framing, usual stuff.

Ah ok that’s what the MasterCraft nailer is for.
    If you are ever stuck I can lend you my King Canada framer gun.
    That’s a nice looking door , and nice job as usual.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Thanks Brian!
    I think that both framing guns are twins, made by the same factory.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Okay so looks like I’ll be ordering the Bosch also 😁, yeah definitely need it with small pieces , and Yes I will eventually make a cross cut jig ,
    I think it’s also like Peter and others have mentioned , definitely helps to have a good quality blade

Didn’t you get the 4100 Brian? If I’m remembering correctly then it might be a different story in the ZCl for that than my gts1031.

Wasn’t someone saying that that was the case with their 4100?

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I think I’ll order the Bosch zero clearance from OPB or pick it up from Tony tools. Or even order it from them

The reviews on the Bosch made ZCI are pretty bad Brian. You might want to make one yourself or buy that Leecraft one off Amazon. It was $55 IIRC. Bit pricey, but it is well made.

Really , I’ll have to take a look , it’s not that expensive anyway only something like 16 dollars.
    This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything. If I feel I don’t like it, or find it will work , I’ll look for other alternatives.
    But thanks for the heads up.

This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything.

I’m the same way Brian. Hate to buy anything before seeing it.

This was one instance where reading reviews on multiple seller’s sites was worth the exercise to not potentially waste my time in getting the Bosch ZCI for my 4100 table saw. Just too many comments about how flimsy it was and disatisfied buyers.

With that said, the aftermarket Leecraft ZCI had a host of complaints that the fit was too tight and needed shaving to fit buyer’s saws. I found it to be loose myself, and was prepared to tape up it’s edges initially for a proper tight fit til I saw upon further inspection it had a front and side imbedded adjustment screws which solved that issue PDQ.

I don’t understand why folks buy ZCIs when they are so easy to make. Every shop has more than enough scrap to do the job. I batch out the blanks a half dozen or so at a time to use as the old ones wear out. The ones for dado blades and bevel cuts last a long time but the straight cuts need frequent replacement.

Clearance for riving knives adds a bit more work but still doesn’t justify the expense of commercial inserts.

Peter is there a wood you prefer to use when making ZCIs blanks?
    I would like to try and make some blanks when I get a chance.

When you make ZCl plates, how do you keep them in the saw’s throat? I made one once for my GTS1031 but I wasn’t able to make any screw holes to attach the plate to since the supporting tabs were so close to the cutting surface, so it was pretty sketchy… I bought the factory made one pretty quickly, lol!

My inserts plates are held in with a screw. The I did make for Dado blade I did the same. I drilled a hole threw the insert. So I can use the screw to fasten down the insert.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

From the pictures it came out looking pretty nice. Good job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Thanks Brian!
    I think that both framing guns are twins, made by the same factory.

Your welcome , you could be right , it’s not the best , it’s slightly heavier than those aluminum , but it’s been very reliable , never had any issues with it ,

I had to replace a chair bottom, this one failed with my Brother-in-law sitting in it, but I suspect the plywood I am replacing it with is much stronger than the press-wood / chip board seat bottom was.

Will

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I think I’ll order the Bosch zero clearance from OPB or pick it up from Tony tools. Or even order it from them

The reviews on the Bosch made ZCI are pretty bad Brian. You might want to make one yourself or buy that Leecraft one off Amazon. It was $55 IIRC. Bit pricey, but it is well made.

Really , I’ll have to take a look , it’s not that expensive anyway only something like 16 dollars.
    This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything. If I feel I don’t like it, or find it will work , I’ll look for other alternatives.
    But thanks for the heads up.

This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything.

I’m the same way Brian. Hate to buy anything before seeing it.

This was one instance where reading reviews on multiple seller’s sites was worth the exercise to not potentially waste my time in getting the Bosch ZCI for my 4100 table saw. Just too many comments about how flimsy it was and disatisfied buyers.

With that said, the aftermarket Leecraft ZCI had a host of complaints that the fit was too tight and needed shaving to fit buyer’s saws. I found it to be loose myself, and was prepared to tape up it’s edges initially for a proper tight fit til I saw upon further inspection it had a front and side imbedded adjustment screws which solved that issue PDQ.

I don’t understand why folks buy ZCIs when they are so easy to make. Every shop has more than enough scrap to do the job. I batch out the blanks a half dozen or so at a time to use as the old ones wear out. The ones for dado blades and bevel cuts last a long time but the straight cuts need frequent replacement.

Clearance for riving knives adds a bit more work but still doesn’t justify the expense of commercial inserts.

Peter is there a wood you prefer to use when making ZCIs blanks?
    I would like to try and make some blanks when I get a chance.

When you make ZCl plates, how do you keep them in the saw’s throat? I made one once for my GTS1031 but I wasn’t able to make any screw holes to attach the plate to since the supporting tabs were so close to the cutting surface, so it was pretty sketchy… I bought the factory made one pretty quickly, lol!

My inserts plates are held in with a screw. The I did make for Dado blade I did the same. I drilled a hole threw the insert. So I can use the screw to fasten down the insert.

The factory one I have has four screws, but I wonder now if maybe I only need the back two? It’s always a bit of a hassle to pull them all out whenever I want to change plates, maybe I’ll try that. Thanks for the idea 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

I got rid of all the excess spray in styrofoam from the interior of the windows. Then I milled up a bit of pine for the sills and the top jamb extensions for the windows. I didn’t have enough for the side extensions, so I will have to go get some 1 x 6 pine for that. They need to be right around 4″ so 1×4 won’t do. The top and bottom milled out to right about a full inch, which is good because the framing is close on the sides and farther away on the top and bottom. I will repurpose the old framing and clean it up for the new frames. I am going to extend the sill out past the wall as they are south facing windows and my wife wants a place to put plants.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Managed to install 2 windows today.
    And replaced a thermo in 3rd one.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

A lot of milling, a lot of fitting, a lot of shavings in the shop today. When it was all done I spent about an hour doing a major clean up getting ready to build drawers tomorrow.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I got rid of all the excess spray in styrofoam from the interior of the windows. Then I milled up a bit of pine for the sills and the top jamb extensions for the windows. I didn’t have enough for the side extensions, so I will have to go get some 1 x 6 pine for that. They need to be right around 4″ so 1×4 won’t do. The top and bottom milled out to right about a full inch, which is good because the framing is close on the sides and farther away on the top and bottom. I will repurpose the old framing and clean it up for the new frames. I am going to extend the sill out past the wall as they are south facing windows and my wife wants a place to put plants.

That sounds like a great idea , makes for a nice deep sill

After work I had to wait for a person from the greenline , it’s a group that our city use , they were supposed to come look at the trees I want or actually need a permit for to take down , I would rather keep them , just a few reasons why I want them down , 1st one oak about 8 feet from the side of my house , and about 6 feet from the inground pool , plus my propane fuel line I think runs under the surrounding area , and the irrigation lines also

2nd tree the other side of the house , even closer about 6 feet , it’s a lilac apparently they can grow up around 40 foot , plus it’s surrounding the hydro line 🧐🤔 and aside from being close to the house , I replaced a sprinkler head this summer right under the basement window , and Yup roots are starting to get very close , plus from the hydro line that entering the house , the previous owner had a big power line running underground to the pool shed , and my judgement is right around the same area as the tree
    Hopefully i can get them removed , I wish I could relocate them , it’s a shame.

OH yeah that A hole never showed up , they sent someone last Wednesday at 10 ish in the morning , he said I rang the doorbell and the gate was locked so I couldn’t get in WTF
    Ah I do this thing called work ? How do you think I pay for the house taxes LoL

And the gate is locked because I have dog’s and a inground pool
    DIPSTICK 🙄 , anyway sorry , this should have been under the rant thread 😂🤣😂🤬

Well today I sold my boat. It was kept in my second garage. Now the question is do I set it up a second shop here or just keep the shop at my cabin. That will take awhile to decide I am sure. Glad to have the boat gone. I just didn’t use it enough.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

From the pictures it came out looking pretty nice. Good job.

Thanks!
    Waiting for the brick layers to finish their jobs and I’m going back to finish it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

A lot of milling, a lot of fitting, a lot of shavings in the shop today. When it was all done I spent about an hour doing a major clean up getting ready to build drawers tomorrow.

Sounds like a good day!

I had one of those days at work. Seemed like would could go wrong did. We are short people in our dept. I had to train one person to do this one job.
    Then after work went to Cdn Tire. Then I spent 2 hours at the rink.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 1,001 total)

The topic ‘V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 1.032 seconds