dcsimg

V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?

This topic contains 1,000 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  RonW 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 661 through 680 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I think I’ll order the Bosch zero clearance from OPB or pick it up from Tony tools. Or even order it from them

The reviews on the Bosch made ZCI are pretty bad Brian. You might want to make one yourself or buy that Leecraft one off Amazon. It was $55 IIRC. Bit pricey, but it is well made.

Really , I’ll have to take a look , it’s not that expensive anyway only something like 16 dollars.
    This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything. If I feel I don’t like it, or find it will work , I’ll look for other alternatives.
    But thanks for the heads up.

This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything.

I’m the same way Brian. Hate to buy anything before seeing it.

This was one instance where reading reviews on multiple seller’s sites was worth the exercise to not potentially waste my time in getting the Bosch ZCI for my 4100 table saw. Just too many comments about how flimsy it was and disatisfied buyers.

With that said, the aftermarket Leecraft ZCI had a host of complaints that the fit was too tight and needed shaving to fit buyer’s saws. I found it to be loose myself, and was prepared to tape up it’s edges initially for a proper tight fit til I saw upon further inspection it had a front and side imbedded adjustment screws which solved that issue PDQ.

I don’t understand why folks buy ZCIs when they are so easy to make. Every shop has more than enough scrap to do the job. I batch out the blanks a half dozen or so at a time to use as the old ones wear out. The ones for dado blades and bevel cuts last a long time but the straight cuts need frequent replacement.

Clearance for riving knives adds a bit more work but still doesn’t justify the expense of commercial inserts.

OK, there’s my rant for the day. I started on another shop storage cabinet today. I will use a soft maple laminated work surface I have had for a while now. Finished size will give a work surface about 24 x 48 with a combination of drawers and pullout shelves under… slowly getting the clutter under control. Glued up the side panels and centre divider and roughed out the stretchers. Pics to follow….

Haha that’s not a rant Peter , I don’t mind spending 16 ish dollars for something that most probably will be just as good as the more expensive one ,
    But yeah you are most definitely right , most of us more than likely have extras to make those inserts.
    I’ll have to look into it better when things slow Down at work.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Well back at work this morning ,
    Looks like everything failed because of the power shut down over the weekend ,
    I had the chemist in this morning talking to a design engineer , and the outsourcing rep ,
    I found out that they are looking for someone to have them built outside , specifically for health and safety reasons.
    Kind of bummed about that , but hey it is what it is , I’ll just return to my old department.

Doobie

I think I’ll order the Bosch zero clearance from OPB or pick it up from Tony tools. Or even order it from them

The reviews on the Bosch made ZCI are pretty bad Brian. You might want to make one yourself or buy that Leecraft one off Amazon. It was $55 IIRC. Bit pricey, but it is well made.

Really , I’ll have to take a look , it’s not that expensive anyway only something like 16 dollars.
    This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything. If I feel I don’t like it, or find it will work , I’ll look for other alternatives.

This is one of the reasons I like to physically see what I’m buying before I order anything.

This was one instance where reading reviews on multiple seller’s sites was worth the exercise to not potentially waste my time in getting the Bosch ZCI for my 4100 table saw. Just too many comments about how flimsy it was and disatisfied buyers.

With that said, the aftermarket Leecraft ZCI had a host of complaints that the fit was too tight and needed shaving to fit buyer’s saws. I found it to be loose myself, and was prepared to tape up it’s edges initially for a proper tight fit til I saw upon further inspection it had a front and side imbedded adjustment screws which solved that issue PDQ.

I don’t understand why folks buy ZCIs when they are so easy to make. Every shop has more than enough scrap to do the job. I batch out the blanks a half dozen or so at a time to use as the old ones wear out. The ones for dado blades and bevel cuts last a long time but the straight cuts need frequent replacement.

Clearance for riving knives adds a bit more work but still doesn’t justify the expense of commercial inserts.

OK, there’s my rant for the day. I started on another shop storage cabinet today. I will use a soft maple laminated work surface I have had for a while now. Finished size will give a work surface about 24 x 48 with a combination of drawers and pullout shelves under… slowly getting the clutter under control. Glued up the side panels and centre divider and roughed out the stretchers. Pics to follow….

Haha that’s not a rant Peter , I don’t mind spending 16 ish dollars for something that most probably will be just as good as the more expensive one ,
    But yeah you are most definitely right , most of us more than likely have extras to make those inserts.

Never made a ZCI myself. I bought one for my Unisaw from LV almost twenty years ago, and still use it in there to this day when warranted. I only use it when slicing off real thin stuff, simply for added safety. The majority of the time, I keep the stock insert that came with my Unisaw in there. If you use a quality sharp blade, you don’t need a ZCI all the time in your saw. Others may differ, but that’s how it all works for me.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Never made a ZCI myself. I bought one for my Unisaw from LV almost twenty years ago, and still use it in there to this day when warranted. I only use it when slicing off real thin stuff, simply for added safety. The majority of the time, I keep the stock insert that came with my Unisaw in there. If you use a quality sharp blade, you don’t need a ZCI all the time in your saw. Others may differ, but that’s how it all works for me.

I haven’t used the insert provided with a saw for more years than I can count. It just never occurs to me to do that. A ZCI lives in the saw at all times and is replaced as it gets to be a bit worn. Quality blades go a long way to quality cuts but those cuts NEED to be supported to be truly clean. Supported as only a ZCI can do. I have a ZCI on my crosscut sled, too. It gets replaced regularly, too. I’m not a professional woodworker by any stretch, but I can wear out a ZCI in a couple of months, no problem. It’s simply a matter of mileage; the more you use your saw, the more often you need to change the ZCI. They all wear out sooner or later, depends on the mileage.

EDIT: Let me explain a bit; why do ZCIs wear out? First, they are not precision fit, close but not precision, they move a very little bit, always. That causes wear. The wood you are cutting has internal stresses that cause blade deflection, small but it’s there. Bits of sawdust on the crosscut sled; more deflection, more wear. Bottom line, they wear out with normal use, it happens, you change them.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie Yup just like anything mechanical , eventually it’s going to wear out

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Installed 4 windows and a front door in Ile Perot.
    I was supposed to install 6 windows but 2 of them got wrong measures and they have to be redone.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I haven’t used the insert provided with a saw for more years than I can count. It just never occurs to me to do that. A ZCI lives in the saw at all times and is replaced as it gets to be a bit worn. Quality blades go a long way to quality cuts but those cuts NEED to be supported to be truly clean. Supported as only a ZCI can do. I have a ZCI on my crosscut sled, too. It gets replaced regularly, too. I’m not a professional woodworker by any stretch, but I can wear out a ZCI in a couple of months, no problem. It’s simply a matter of mileage; the more you use your saw, the more often you need to change the ZCI. They all wear out sooner or later, depends on the mileage.

EDIT: Let me explain a bit; why do ZCIs wear out? First, they are not precision fit, close but not precision, they move a very little bit, always. That causes wear. The wood you are cutting has internal stresses that cause blade deflection, small but it’s there. Bits of sawdust on the crosscut sled; more deflection, more wear. Bottom line, they wear out with normal use, it happens, you change them.

OK, I’m going to go at this again. Challenge me if you will. If you have had a ZCI for 25 years; it’s either well past its “best before date” or you don’t use your saw. Let’s get this discussion real or abandon it!

Doobie

OK, I’m going to go at this again. Challenge me if you will. If you have had a ZCI for 25 years; it’s either well past its “best before date” or you don’t use your saw.

I’m repeating myself now…..I don’t normally keep my ZCI in my Unisaw. The stock one works fine for me for most applications. My ZCI has about a quarter of a millimeter wear on one side and the other side is virtually a hair of wear.

I don’t understand what the kerfuffle is all about here.

One reason I don’t keep my ZCI is as I said also before. I simply hardly ever have tear out issues. Go read the Forrest WW blade description. A good quality blade makes a HUGE difference with avoiding tearout. And it’s true. That’s no marketing BS.

As a result, the only times I now plop my ZCI is the odd time I am getting tearout, which typically might occur with a crosscutting application as I don’t use a DIY crosscut sled but a Jessem Mast-R-Slide table. I very very rarely get tearout when ripping, or I use my ZCI when I’m shaving off some very thin slices off some stock where the ZCI is now being needed to avoid the risk of a piece getting caught between the blade and the gap of my stock metal insert.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46446&cat=1,41080,41165,46446

Put it this way, the first few years I had my Unisaw, I had average BB store blades in it. Kept on reading others on forums talk about the better blades out there. Once I bought the Forrest about a dozen years ago, things changed. They’re worth it imo.

I don’t know what else to say here. Let’s chill eh?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Peter is there a wood you prefer to use when making ZCIs blanks?
    I would like to try and make some blanks when I get a chance.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Well I’m going to try to get the system back up and running ,
    Also same problem with the A/C they had a complete shut down last weekend , when they checked the glass blowing room , it was fairly warm , so someone decided to put it down to 19 , bad idea , the unit froze solid again , I removed the panel and put a space heater to dethaw it , I’ll put it all together again.
    And a few other things around here.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

OK, I’m going to go at this again. Challenge me if you will. If you have had a ZCI for 25 years; it’s either well past its “best before date” or you don’t use your saw.

I’m repeating myself now…..I don’t normally keep my ZCI in my Unisaw. The stock one works fine for me for most applications. My ZCI has about a quarter of a millimeter wear on one side and the other side is virtually a hair of wear.

I don’t understand what the kerfuffle is all about here.

One reason I don’t keep my ZCI is as I said also before. I simply hardly ever have tear out issues. Go read the Forrest WW blade description. A good quality blade makes a HUGE difference with avoiding tearout. And it’s true. That’s no marketing BS.

As a result, the only times I now plop my ZCI is the odd time I am getting tearout, which typically might occur with a crosscutting application as I don’t use a DIY crosscut sled but a Jessem Mast-R-Slide table. I very very rarely get tearout when ripping, or I use my ZCI when I’m shaving off some very thin slices off some stock where the ZCI is now being needed to avoid the risk of a piece getting caught between the blade and the gap of my stock metal insert.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46446&cat=1,41080,41165,46446

Put it this way, the first few years I had my Unisaw, I had average BB store blades in it. Kept on reading others on forums talk about the better blades out there. Once I bought the Forrest about a dozen years ago, things changed. They’re worth it imo.

I don’t know what else to say here. Let’s chill eh?

Let’s do this again. If you are crosscutting over a stock table insert with that huge opening, you are getting tearout. Period!

If you are using a crosscut sled; that is a ZCI all by itself, too.

I finished up a couple more swing arm lamps- both maple, one stained dark mahogany with aniline dye the other with just a coat of natural shellac under a couple coats of wipe on poly.

Will

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m helping my BIL this week replacing a ton of espresso machines for Starbucks. It’s all night work, so I’m curious to see what we do during the days.

It’s pretty straight forward work, just disconnecting and reconnecting wiring and plumbing, but the units are heavy as hell, so it’s a two person job to move them on and off the counters.

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

When you make ZCl plates, how do you keep them in the saw’s throat? I made one once for my GTS1031 but I wasn’t able to make any screw holes to attach the plate to since the supporting tabs were so close to the cutting surface, so it was pretty sketchy… I bought the factory made one pretty quickly, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@cmeyer25 and how did you like the factory one , is it the Bosch model ? Did it meet your needs

Doobie

Let’s do this again. If you are crosscutting over a stock table insert with that huge opening, you are getting tearout. Period!

Well, respectfully, I’m not. Hardly ever any. What further can I say that hasn’t already been discussed?

Let’s move on please. We’re obviously not gonna agree on this. I don’t want to punt this around any further. We each have our own experiences in this area that seem quite different. 🙂

Today I did garage cleanup, wired in the 2 outside plugs on the new addition and started harvesting the grapes growing over my deck.

That looks very yummy!
    Are you going to make some wine or just to eat?

They are wine grapes, but with this relatively small amount they are destined to be grape jelly instead.

Will

Got the chimney cleaned out and ready for another season. I got the typical one cup or so of loose build up for a years burning. I also installed 2 more security cameras on our property. That’s 4 in total. I have pretty good coverage of the yard now.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

When you make ZCl plates, how do you keep them in the saw’s throat? I made one once for my GTS1031 but I wasn’t able to make any screw holes to attach the plate to since the supporting tabs were so close to the cutting surface, so it was pretty sketchy… I bought the factory made one pretty quickly, lol!

I can see there would be a problem with shop made plates in your case. The Unisaw takes a 1/2″ MDF insert perfectly. With the new saw I am using now, I have to mill some clearance for the tabs so it’s not as straightforward. Still not a real hassle, though.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Today I did garage cleanup, wired in the 2 outside plugs on the new addition and started harvesting the grapes growing over my deck.

Looks like a decent amount of grapes
    I read that you are going to make jam /jelly I believe
    I’m sure it’s going to be great

I think I’ll be getting about 20 figs from my plants this year , not as many as I hoped for , but I’ll take it
    They should be ready by the end of the week , especially with the nice weather

Viewing 20 posts - 661 through 680 (of 1,001 total)

The topic ‘V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 0.700 seconds