dcsimg

V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,001 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I went and looked at a little lumber today. It’s been in this shed and bus for 30 years. Not sure how many board feet is there. But it’s a bunch. I’m getting 500 bf of walnut and another 500 bf of cherry. Bought it at .25c a board foot.

That is amazing! What a haul. That’s enough for quite a few projects, for sure. Any plans for it yet?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I went and looked at a little lumber today. It’s been in this shed and bus for 30 years. Not sure how many board feet is there. But it’s a bunch. I’m getting 500 bf of walnut and another 500 bf of cherry. Bought it at .25c a board foot.

That is amazing! What a haul. That’s enough for quite a few projects, for sure. Any plans for it yet?

No idea. Was just to good of a deal to pass on. The man that hooked me up with the deal got the same amount of lumber and I will be building him cabinets for his house with his part.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

That right there is one heck of a deal. Don’t run into those very often.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie

That’s sweet. Two of my favorite woods. Nice score Ron! 👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Wow that is heck of a deal. I have bought lumber cheap. But never that cheap.

Greg

I sorted screws and nails. Used up some of the peanut butter and mayo jars I had put away just for that purpose.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

😲 Nice score Ron , walnut is a beautiful wood , but then again so is cherry
    Looking forward to hearing what you plan on making. Definitely be interested in seeing that walnut
    That’s been stored for a long long time
    Congrats on a good deal.

That’s awesome Ron. Lot’s of work to get all that moved and sorted. Don’t envy you on that count at all.

Yesterday a buddy gave a 10′ birch log to me. It was spalted over a fair amount. He had a friend there at his place with his portable sawmill (Wood Mizer) so I got the log milled for free. Got about 180 board feet. Much of the lumber had beautiful spalting. It’s stickered in the garage. I hate having to wait for a year for it to air dry but it’s a small inconvenience when you get about $1000 of beautiful free wood. I am just blown away by his generosity.

Doobie

Wow that is heck of a deal. I have bought lumber cheap. But never that cheap.

Aside from sweat and gas, I’d consider that free. 25 cents a bf, that’s unreal cheap.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Bought it at .25c a board foot.

What a good deal Ron. That will make a lot of nice furniture. Where will you store it?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Got a photo of the siding today. Not perfect, but for a 75′ run I think it turned out OK.

Looks pretty straight to me. Nice job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

That’s awesome Ron. Lot’s of work to get all that moved and sorted. Don’t envy you on that count at all.

Yesterday a buddy gave a 10′ birch log to me. It was spalted over a fair amount. He had a friend there at his place with his portable sawmill (Wood Mizer) so I got the log milled for free. Got about 180 board feet. Much of the lumber had beautiful spalting. It’s stickered in the garage. I hate having to wait for a year for it to air dry but it’s a small inconvenience when you get about $1000 of beautiful free wood. I am just blown away by his generosity.

Nice that you got two freebies Lon
    Free milled and free wood
    Very generous of both of those guys.
    I’m not a woodworker Lon not sure what spalting means.

Just got into work , my ion pump went into fault mode again ,
    Not the best thing I want for a Monday
    Called in for my hot work permit
    Going to clean the cesium ampule and get it welded on the manifold
    Going to try another bake out of the ion pump

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

that is a heck of a deal, I just bout a bunch for a project that was about $4.00 a foot but that was planed to 3/4 and straight lined. With a little work you will have some great material.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Spalted birch is a really beautiful wood. Nice to have great friends like that.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

A Wikipedia definition:

Spalting is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Although primarily found in dead trees, spalting can also occur under stressed tree conditions or even in living trees. Although spalting can cause weight loss and strength loss in the wood, the unique coloration and patterns of spalted wood are sought after by woodworkers.

Attachments:
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I don’t think I ever posted the latest pic of the work I got done on Friday – I removed the plywood floor on the cabin, along with the two bottom most rotted logs and replaced them. I also finished installing this little attic access ladder.

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Way to burst my bubble Lon. lol That was really nice of the guy..

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

A Wikipedia definition:

Spalting is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Although primarily found in dead trees, spalting can also occur under stressed tree conditions or even in living trees. Although spalting can cause weight loss and strength loss in the wood, the unique coloration and patterns of spalted wood are sought after by woodworkers.

Thank you for your help and information Lon
    It’s definitely beautiful looking
    Now if I could only do some spalting to loose weight LoL.

@cmeyer25 nice job Charlie , looks like you are getting all sorts of work in a wide range ,

@RonW LoL

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I don’t think I ever posted the latest pic of the work I got done on Friday – I removed the plywood floor on the cabin, along with the two bottom most rotted logs and replaced them. I also finished installing this little attic access ladder.

I like that kind of work.
    You put that cabin on the trailer?

Another guitar done today. A nice little Simon & Patrick in for a set up. I had to shave the saddle down to get the action nice.

Attachments:

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,001 total)
  • The topic ‘V-38 What did you do in the shop / site today?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.697 seconds